Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

why do you hate on mainstream?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by mapo wc, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mapo wc

mapo wc Elite Member

i have alot of different things i want to say in this post so excuse me if my topics jump all over the place.

im so tired of people being like 'oh that mtv shit is wack, i only listen to underground, blah blah blah, fake thugs, fake skaters, mtv sucks, blah blah blah'.

whats your fucking problem?

i cant speak too much on punk/alternative. but i can talk about hip hop.

i honestly believe most people only listen to underground to try to be different. you use it as part of your identity.
    'i dont like to be like other people - so i wont listen to what they listen to'. thats fine, but dont shit on what other people like.

if you dont believe what im saying is true..ill give you an example, and really think about it and be honest with yourself.
    imagine aesop rock being all over MTV, radio and every 13 year old girl puts his poster on their wall. they play his shit on their pink cd players and his album goes right up there among their favorites along with nelly furtado, pink, and nsync. honestly, would you still call yourself a fan of aesop rock? would he still be 'real hip hop'? if youre being honest - probably not. thats because you want to be different from teeny boppers.

the above is exactly what happened to eminem. his style never changed.
    ive honestly listened to just about every eminem song that has ever been recorded and released. ive heard every song on infinite, heard his radio freestyles, battles, guest appearances, everything.
    he hasnt changed. he still rips the fucking mic. but people hate on him and say dumb shit like hes changed just because theyre ignorant and want to be different.

people speak of slug, blackalicious, aesop rock, etc. as though theyre 'true' hip hop and anything which anyone has ever heard of is just 'fake ass thugs on the radio'. shut the fuck up!
    biggie, tupac, rakim, eminem, outkast, nas, jay-z are of the highest caliber of rappers to ever grace the mic. mainstream or not.

and then you contradict yourselves when you say 'i dont care about the image, i just like the music' but then go on and on about how ja rule and nelly are 'fake thugs'. ja rule and nelly both came from much tougher neighborhoods than you would dare step foot in. you have no grounds to question their realness. none.

how do you know these people are fake? quit trying to live vicariously through your favorite underground rapper and think you have the grounds to call another rapper fake.

the final straw for me to write this post was when people said 2pac wasnt a real thug. yeah ok. the man was raised by the black panthers, lived in the projects, was sent to jail numerous times, shot police officers, was shot 4 times and survived, ignited the biggest beef in the history of music, then tragically died in a blaze of gunfire. in fact the night he died him and his boys beat the shit out of some guy for tryin to steal his necklace - right there in a lobby on camera gave homeboy a beatdown. thats hardcore right there, and you have no grounds to sit on your computer in your suburban home and call him fake. you wouldnt have ever walked up to tupac in the street and called him fake - so why say it here?

jay-z, biggie, and snoop - just to name a few - all sold crack in the ghetto to try to make money. just because their shit hits mtv doesnt mean theyre fake. what theyre rapping about is real.

and this avril lavigne, who the fuck are any of you to say shes fake?
    how do you know shes not a real skater? maybe she is. or maybe she just likes to dress like that, who fucking cares? take the music for what it is.

2. drunken phil

drunken phil Guest

im listening to the ramones...good shit... they were on mtv. :eek:

3. platapie

platapie Guest

im tryign to be liek everyone else here and hate you. and just too add a lil sum sum. aesop rock is dope no matter what even if hes on mtv he woudl be great. shit i still like eminem.

4. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

mainstream is gay.
    for hip hop..not too much knowledge is flowin through them lyrics..murda murda type bullshit...when kidrock calls himself hip hop,,fred derst thinks he's gangsta,,hmmmmm...

mapo you "funky chicken":lol:

5. theblindpoet

theblindpoet New Jack

the question about aesop rock doesnt work. if 13 year old girls were listening to that shit id be happy. the reason mainstream is looked down upon is because its loosing its art aspect and becoming a fad. cats who are getting the money quit trying. kids see what everyone else is doing and become consumers. its a vicious circle.
    whoever said 2pac was fack was full of it.
    theres no doubt some of these commercial rappers are tough, but talented?

6. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

TEEN IDLE is mainstream.

7. avils

avils Senior Member

I hate anything that you like mapo.

your country wants YOU.

8. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del Guest

you take shit tooooooooooooooo damn seriously mapo. its music. i just listen to it. i listen to the mainstream music when i get to dance. i shake my booty hard. i shake it in females faces. good gracious my ass might not be bodacious, but dammit your gonna like it girl! bahahaha. baahaha.
    "underground" stuff is hard to dance to :mad: but it says more. it has more meaning then mainstream. mainstream is all about how much money they got, how much bitches they got, what they drive, killing people, etc.

ha ha haa, i like nerd.
    you cant be me im a rock star, im rhyming on the top of a cop car!
    i need to get a picture of myself standing on top of a cop car and looking like a rock star.

:mad: hey guys lets paint a picture of jesus for the cop station:mad:

9. postaholic

postaholic Guest

and mapo- i didnt even read your post, so im not referring to you....

YO YO YO YO YO YO YO YO YO YO YO YO YO YO WORD UP SON WORD UP!!!!

I DONT CARE WHO IT IS SON, WHAT GROUP OR BAND OR MCEEEEEE OR WHATEVER GOD, ILL ROCK OUT TO THEM SON!!! BUT BUT BUT BUT ONCE THEY ON MTV OR SOME SHIT YO YO YO YO, YOOOOOOOO

IM NOT FEELING THEM NO MORE KID, NAW MEAN NAW MEAN? LIKE CUZ, I MEAN, IF YOU REAL YOU REAL, I MEAN, YOUR LIKE A BILLION FEET UNDERGROUND, TRYING TO STAY BROKE AND KEEP IT REAL!!! NAW MEAN? FEEL ME???? NOT ON EVERY TELEVISION IN THE WORLD ON SOME MTV GARBAGE SON, NAW MEAN!?!?!?!!?!? FUCK MAINSTREAM TIL I DIE!!! HIP HOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

fuck you people who label shit, and ditch your favorite groups/bands/emcee's becaue they finally make it, yall are some suckers!!!! :beat: :heated: :GOD:

10. bl4ckh4m

bl4ckh4m Member

hahahaha

you could underground shit is all about how good of an mc they are, how many big words they can fit in a verse, how many scifi refrences they can spit, and how underground / hating of mainstream they are.

11. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

i dont really like the underground either...kinda its own mainstream if you think about it..

i can appreciate things though..dont get me wrong.

mapo, you still a perverted virgin?

12. postaholic

postaholic Guest

basically all the things you want in life right? except maybe the killing part.... no wait, i want to kill people to...

so what are you complaining about? :lol:

:spent:

13. uncle-boy

uncle-boy Guest

i like what sounds good.

14. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

you guys are fucking killing me.

im looking forward to the new jay-z cd.

15. boogie hands

boogie hands 12oz Legend

^^^

exactly....if it sounds nice ill listen to it...i like aesop as much as i like jay-z....

i cant help but laugh my ass off at these kids who try to shun everything that isnt on an "underground" label....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.