Why do we do what we do?

Kreature

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by NOVAGIRL

i do it cause it feels goooood...and i have this burning, itching desire to wreck...like my chest gets all tight just typing this...if i don't paint soon someone is gonna get hit......

graff is the great tension releaser...like sex and drugs...

..are you single?.....hahah jk

I paint 2 express myself. I paint 2 create mental stimulation within others. I want 2 be remembered once I'm dead and am therefore leaving MY mark on the world. I love 2 see graf by others, and therefore presume others like 2 see stuff 2, so I give 4 them.

Most importantly - I'm doing it strictly 4 the love of it!!!

Its a part of human fucking nature man! Think about it in ancient civilizations those motherfuckers wrote all over the wall and told about theyre life. thats the same with writers today exept they tell about theyre life in they're art. why do you think all these dumbasses go into bathrooms and write "COCK" in shit ass letter? they want to be heard, they are just confused is all. thats how i know graffiti will never go away cause human nature never changes.:king:

i paint for numerous reasons. i guess the most simple answer is that it challenges me. it's a challenge to sketch better outlines, make letters more balanced & have them create a certain atmosphere. color schemes fall under the design aspect of graff too.

then there's challenge of doing something illegal which carries heavy penalties for being caught. i find scoping out spots, getting to them, dodging the heat and getting away clean to be extremely rewarding. the tension i feel when i'm in a vulnerable spot and the satisfaction i get seeing it in the morning are unparalleled.

And then there's the control of the medium itself. Painting requires a whole separate set of skills than drawing does. I guess the movement is more from the shoulder than the wrist, but at any rate, it feels completely different. Mixing colors, making crisp lines and not dripping all present challenges that arent really present in other art media.

beyond that, i find the concept of graff to be captivating. i mean, the idea of painting a freight, which will be gone at dawn and off touring the country for the next decade is pretty crazy. sort of giving a bit of yourself to the world. graff is all the more interesting when it's unwanted. people dont want it on their buildings, trains, or trucks but they get it anyway. passerby's dont usually want to see graff, but they're subjected to it anyway. it's mysterious and usually misunderstood. i guess another part of the allure is knowing that i'm part of such a shadowy subculture.

im approaching twenty but never have i felt more angst-ridden. the screen name "crush kill destroy" always pops in my head when i'm out on the town. i feel like i'm tearing at the fabric of society and at the same time making it all the more vibrant and virile. how many other hobbies can you say that about?

I'd love to give a good answer but I'm going to go with a very simple one........ "Because I'm an overgrown dumbshit who likes writing on fr8 trains.." It's so fucking complex to explain to everyone who asks so I just don't talk about it.... It's like a drug habit that no one is supposed to know about.

I think we do what we do, because we're artistic, and want our work to be seen.

I personally get cravings to go paint. Can't help it.. I need to paint freights often, or I get anxiety attacks. :)

I go through mood swings, sometimes i wanna hit throws in the streets, it really varies. And as someone said before, when I die, I'll be remembered by many more than I would have been if I didn't do graffiti.

Its in your blood, or its not. Graffiti is not a questionable thing. In my eyes anyhow...

as for art..i think its because im better at it than anything else..and it is a way for me to release in an unusual interesting way..theres a feeling of belonging..and a voice really..as well as a diguise..

oh yeah and I never liked sports..hahah

and i got kicked out of girl scouts..for drawing on a girls face the word "shithead"

Originally posted by boogy

I think we do what we do, because we're artistic, and want our work to be seen.

I personally get cravings to go paint. Can't help it.. I need to paint freights often, or I get anxiety attacks. :)

I go through mood swings, sometimes i wanna hit throws in the streets, it really varies. And as someone said before, when I die, I'll be remembered by many more than I would have been if I didn't do graffiti.

Its in your blood, or its not. Graffiti is not a questionable thing. In my eyes anyhow...

I do the same thing with the mood swings....... the memory will live on also. The not being able to sleep until you get your fix thing is my problem. I wake up the next morning in a fucking horrible mood!

Archived