Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

WHY DO PEOPLE BELIEVE IN GOD?

Discussion in 'News' started by nang'eds!, Aug 27, 2003.

1. the_gooch

the_gooch 12oz Loyalist

because they are scared of being alone in the universe.

2. Smart

Smart Dirty Dozen Crew

yeah, so... it's not full grown... I'm sure you've seen a tadpole.

3. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

HAHAHA of course, i was thinking the river was polluted or something... oh wait

4. nang'eds!

nang'eds! Member

Ok say if there is one of these "gods" that so many millions believe in, i am sure you can work out he has done more bad than good, if he was all powerful and could do what he pleased i don't think there would be any war or gun crimes or other unneccasary "sins". So i think the god you believe i think has lied. Or you have lied to your self by believing in "god". He is about he is very very unfair, think about how many inicent young children have been killed in mass murder's what will you people say about that? god had them killed because they deserved it, why do old ladies get mugged? why are there so many mentaly and physically retarded people they did something bad in the woum and deserved to be altered and changed so thast they are different from otherswell i am sure your so called god would not do such a thing. Well that is a little thought to think about.

peace....

5. garcia_vega

garcia_vega Elite Member

i think that you have a very narrow idea of what god is. first of all, the concept of god being "all powerful and can do what he pleased" is a christian one. even calling god a "he" is a jewish/christian idea (the father, the son, and the holy spirit.) bhuddism, not christianity, is the most widely practiced religion in the world. bhuddism doesn't specifically say that god is a male or female, or that god is all powerful. god's power comes from duality. somtimes babies will die, old ladies get will mugged and murdered, but sometimes babies that are supposed to die pull through and grow up healthy, and people have cancer which is supposed to kill them, but it suddenly goes into remission. you need to have tragedy in the world to understand what a miracle is. god must create an evil opposite for every good thing, because that's the only way our minds can understand anything. in bhuddism and taoism, god is viewed as more of a force--like water. water gives life to everything on the planet, but floods can destroy entire counties in an afternoon. while people are drowning in a flood, somewhere else in the world a gentle rain shower is giving life to a whole ecosystem. so to me, saying you don't believe in god is like saying you don't believe in water.

6. WebsterUno

WebsterUno Guest

*believe*

Joke-Yeah, thats what I meant.
    thats cool that youre supportive like that.
    I dont know what I would do if I were in your situation.
    I know JWs dont celebrate birthdays, christmas,
    HALLOWEEN!!! Me being me, it would be hard to tell
    my child she cant enjoy herself like all the other kids do.
    Religion is too strict. It can help instill values, but I
    think I can do that myself. Nothing wrong with self-righteousness?
    Right?

7. Æ°

Æ° Senior Member

8. nang'eds!

nang'eds! Member

Sorry, i am only 13. but yeah i meant to call this thread "why do people believe in the christian god" but that fucked up cos i was watching fear and loathing in las vegas...and was laughing to much to concentrate but i only said "HE" not to be specific but because i wasn't actualy thinking properly, i never realy do when i post on this website. I know i probably should on a threead like this because it is a sensitive subject and people do get affended. Next time i will think a little more before typing in whatever comes to my head....
    but i still can't bring my self to believe in something that noone has proof of it actualy existing, that is just the way i am.

9. Intangible

Intangible 12oz Legend

first off your fucking 13 go to school...

its funny cause when you die you will finally figure out if what you have been believing in your whole life is a sham or not. People can dislike what I say but its true...but I guess its better to have something to help give you a certain strength, then to not have anything at all. I honestly try not to think about such possibilitys because it really is mind boggling. If one thing is for sure all religon has certain aspects in common so something must be right. could religion could be a way of life set for people to follow to make them happy throughout it? Because that could be the ultimate technological advancement ever.

10. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

Re: Re: *believe*

You shouldn't be too worried.
    It is possible to be raised in the church without being socially inept.
    You seemed to like one of them enough to commit your life to her,
    so there's the solid proof that not everyone is doomed to herbdom.

Interfaith marriges? let's discuss!

So I was reading my copy of the Quar'an and I came across
    a strange little fact. Everyone should know that Islam, Judaism
    and Christianity all come from the same source (Abraham) and
    all of these 3 religions are monotheistic. The Quar'an calls Jews
    and Christians 'People of The Book'. In the book there seems to
    be a little bit of respect for these other faiths (compared to today,
    and compared to the pagans). So here's the tricky part...

An Islamic man is allowed to marry other 'people of the book'
    without getting in shit from his community. That may not apply
    in Gaza, but in the Quar'an it's a-okay. However the Islamic women
    are only allowed to marry Islamic men. Seems a little backwords no?
    Is this a perfect example of the word of man being taken as the word
    of 'God'? I dont think an omnipotent creator would allow half of his
    'creations' to live by one code that is so integral to the family and not
    allow the other half the same freedoms. But who really knows?

11. Rev.DUGOOD

Rev.DUGOOD Junior Member

people belive in god because ,god is the creator of this world and all things we know of..hands down...you can call god anything you want but its still the same.the reason i call god (it) is because i dont believe god is man or women ,god is much more than that.i think god is a something that is in apart of all of us.good & bad because even the most hateful person has some kind of love in them.i believe god is love.i dont believe god really has much to do with religion,i mean god definitly is in every religion,but i dont believe that you need a religion to get to god or talk to god .just know that god exists.........................live in peace & live at peace with yourself.

12. anvillan

anvillan Junior Member

because people are gullible ..if thats even how you spell it

13. Joker

Joker Dirty Dozen Crew

Re: Re: Re: *believe*

I've had a similar thought in my head for years and years. And when I've asked questions about the supressing of women in religion the only answer most will give me is, it's God's will. That's just the way it is. And of course, I have a hard time swallowing that. For example... JW women cannot become Elders in their Kingdom Halls. For a lack of better and proper ways to describe it... women are inferior to men in Jehovah's eyes. Therefore men only can become Elders. This seems true in most religions that I know very little about. Women are inferior. I know very little about the Islamic religion, very little. But the treatment of women seems horrific to me. I know that I may be generalising ( mainly from documentaries and small stories on Discovery and the History channel that I've seen ) but from what I do know I'm amazed at how such things can go on.
    I agree... why would God ( if God existed ) create two beings and give one more power than the other? If God created man in his own image what inspired him to create woman?

Interfaith marriages...

I have yet to meet a married couple that was not of the same religion. Most couples I know always ask how the misses and I handle things. To them it's unthinkable to be married to someone who is not of the same faith. More so, most couples I know who have married a same faith partner have all divorced. I married around the same time as five other couple friends of mine. All of which have divorced over the last four years. One couple spent an amazing amount of money on the wedding and reception and divorced two weeks after. Bought a house and everything. Stupid. The guy converted to Catholicism for the girl too. Stupid. His parents were upset about the converting so you can only imagine the hell the unleashed when the the couple split. I don't quite know where I'm going with this so I'll just stop it right there... sorry.

14. Joker

Joker Dirty Dozen Crew

You are correct in your spelling! See how easy it is if you just sound it out...

15. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

that's deep man. Really deep.

Sure some people can say that 'he created man' and then
    made minor modification because women carry children.
    The Wo-man is just a man with a womb, and mamorry glands,
    and soft silky skin... a big beautiful eyes. Plus they smell like heaven.

Oh...
    maybe women wern't 'built' as just a child carrying man.

'God' May have created the 'form' with man, but 'he' made beauty with woman.