Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

WHY DO PEOPLE BELIEVE IN GOD?

Discussion in 'News' started by nang'eds!, Aug 27, 2003.

1. silent_j5

silent_j5 Member

Joker if god created us in his image he must have been a dumb mother fucker with a drinking problem. he created women to help us, someone we can talk to and make more of, but what do i know i dont believe in fairy tales..... [​IMG]

2. Intangible

Intangible 12oz Legend

"Who is driving car? Oh my god bear is driving car how can that be!"

3. KaBar2

KaBar2 Senior Member

Interesting discussion

And certainly worth reading. Since there was a time in my life when I was adamantly, passionately, belligerantly on one side of this argument, and now find myself sheepishly on the other side (One denies the existance of extraterrestials until you see a UFO....) I am confident that some of the ardent atheists will change their opinions. People believe in God eventually because they can see no other explanation that seems rational. Face-to-face with Evil-with-a-capital-E, people choose Good, and choose to believe. There are too many repentant Nazis and jailhouse conversions for me to feel other explanations are more likely. Ultimately, belief in God is a choice, like many other.

4. phem9

phem9 Guest

Good question & good answers. Man did create God, many of them anyway. I believe God to be the imperial power in everything. Aside from a believer, I'm also a sinner & a hypocrite. I try to be a "good person", but at times I'm jealous, have greed, I'm impatient, critical, I write on shit that's not mine etc., no where near perfect. As a matter of fact, I've never met a perfect human & I never will. We're all imperfect. We're all hypocrites. Even non believers are hypocrites. Yep, it's true. Why is it, when you say you're a believer you're actions are automatically dissected & judged more harshly? Also, the religious are blamed for so much. It's not only believers of a God who cause war, hurt, hate, kill etc. We could do an entire thread on the presence of Satan. There's always evil among us, even when we think we're doing something good, just, or right, we're still humans & again, imperfect at that. I'm not happy w/ the "sin all week, get saved on Sunday" mentality many church people have, but it's out there. Yes it sucks, but you have to look for the good in people. We generally try to be good, having values etc., but we fall short all the time. It's too bad that just because the religious strive for some sort of better way, that they're expected to be perfect all the time. I have to hand it to you Joker. It sounds like you're very patient & you've handled the scrutiny well. As far as us being made in God's image, this is a vague statement. Let's not pull it apart too much. No one here knows WHAT "his image" really is, unless they're God. Women on earth & individual fingerprints are not an imperfections, but rather a validation of our own uniqueness! According to the bible women were made as helpers for men, so they wouldn't be alone. A companion I guess. Of course this can't be proven so easily in a 12oz thread, or anywhere else for that matter. This is when FAITH comes into play & having a PEACE that passes UNDERSTANDING. We aren't made to understand it. The bible wasn't even written in English. Over years, human error is bound to have been a factor in translation. All the different religions relate to the region they derived from & they do have similarities. I personally trust that God exists outside of each one & outside of each church, synagogue, temple, mosque, etc. The importance of church isn't so much a building you go to on Sunday, but a fellowship with other believers. I really like what Kilo said about the Redwood & the seed. In fact, the bible uses a similar reference w/ the mustard seed. That really breaks it down for me. It's like that damn spider that keeps weaving it's web in my front door. Each morning it breaks when I open the door, but it rebuilds over and over, night after night. Stupid spider. =0) Personally, for me it's things like this that restore my faith & it's human to question it. At times humanity also makes me want to run, but I try to remember NOT to put my faith in man alone, but in God, because man will always let you down in the long run. I've also learned to thank God for these let downs, because they make us stronger. Anyway, sorry to ramble. I just wanted to share my feelings. I like the summed up response "why not?", though I can easily turn on the news, hear about priests raping little boys etc., and see why not! The world is fucked up & it's easy to judge each other. Try to stay positive & look for the good. Peace y'all!

5. WebsterUno

WebsterUno Guest

*believe*

well put Ms. 9.

6. nang'eds!

nang'eds! Member

7. Edika

Edika Member

people believe in god because they fear the unknown, death and lonelyness.
    Religion is a concept made a long time ago for the people who didnt had access at the education, science and information that we have now.

8. Edika

Edika Member

no wonder why the bastion of Catholism is now in South america...less education, modernity... a more traditional and poorer life.

I 'd like to skip a few years of evolution, and to see this world free of religion... i think it would be better without it.

anyway.. with all the access to the modern science that we have now.. how can you still believe that god created the world in 7 days few thousands years ago, when we have dinausaurs bones dating of millions of years.. that the 2 first men were Adam and Eve (both are white..), when we are finding rests of prehistoric tribes,and that we have proved that we descend from monkeys...and the list goes on and on.
    crazyness

9. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Veteran Member

^ that might be what you believe but the facts can prove otherwise.

Ancient Islam was at the very forefront of science for their days.
    They believed that science was a way for humans to get better in
    touch with Allah and the mysteries of life. Take for example the fact
    that they had discovered the world was round some 1000 years before
    the Christian world. Even Capernicus (sp) was tried and executed
    because he went against the church and said the world wasn't flat.

I still believe in that ancient idea of science and wisdom bringing us closer
    to some kind of divine masterplan. So we know about DNA and evolution
    but does that mean that these things wern't tools used by a higher power?
    Some people think a creator just snapped his fingers and walked away
    from the world and let things take their own course. I dont believe that
    but I do think that the concept of 'free will' isn't exclusive to humans. I think
    that maybe all types of natural progression can also have free will.

your opinion... you're entitled to it but I seriously think that religion
    as a 'brainwashing' agent is a new (past 2000 years) invention.

10. KRONOLOGIK

KRONOLOGIK Member

You guys are whacked.

11. KRONOLOGIK

KRONOLOGIK Member

Because they're whacked.

12. Edika

Edika Member

Kilo,its your opinion too, but i think that science and religion cannot be together.

One of the definition of science is objectivity. When u are a scientist, u have to experiment and see the facts and evidences, the results of your theory. Religion is not science. I'm willing to believe in god when i'll see the result of a scientific research that will be able to say that god exists and that the bibble ( or any other religion book) is correct.
    this is science: give me the proofs, the facts, and i'll believe!

Now, religion is more phylosophical, spiritual, than scientific, but infortunately, theres always a big part of it that focuses on supposed facts ( like the creation of the earth, like i said before). and thats the problem: religions are taking these facts for granted, and are excluding everyone that are not following the guidelines . See,I have no problem with a person who is reading and following a book and a way that can help him spiritually... let's say Jesus or whatever other prophets would have come like this: hey guys, i have written a new book called the bibble, it is a book that can help you out in life, give you some tricks to feel better, read it if you want... i think that the world would have been better, many many less wars...

13. Don't Panic

Don't Panic Member

People seem to be under the misconception that science is infalliable. Edika mentioned that science is supposed to be objective. The problem with that is the elements which are meant to be objective are based on our perception of them, thus making them subjective. Lots of things considered scientific knowledge are just theories that haven't been proven wrong yet. Remember how science once "proved" that earth was the center of the universe? Or that black people really are inferior to white people? While it isn't as shakey, science still falls short in a lot of areas.
    Science is definitely stronger in that it allows for error. Religion tends to have a stigma that once you find fault in one aspect, the entire dogma should and will come crashing down. If it could adopt the inclusive nature that science has, it would be much better off. If science could answer the questions that religion adresses, it would be much better off.

14. sneak

sneak Guest

its a panda...

on the religion subject, i dont believe there is a "god" as such but that there has to be "something" out there. the idea of following a religion has never got through to me. i dont know why, but it just seems pointless. this doesnt mean i dont have respect for people who do follow their religion.

again, i have to agree with all the people who voice the question: " if there is a god, why do so many bad things happen?" sure, people always say "its gods will" or something along the lines of it being not gods fault. to me this seems to be a load of shit! surely "god" could see that some bad stuff is going on in the world to people who dont deserve it or havent done anything. why isnt god looking out for them?

*one of the many random thoughts passing through sneaks brain*

15. se_FOUR

se_FOUR Senior Member

People want to **believe** that there is something after you die..By why should there be? Anyway fuck it bollox, who cares when you times up it`s up, God or no God..