why can't a tornado come around and hit the super wal-mart near me, damn it?!

swif1

At least 40 people were injured, two of them critically, said Amy Carruth, a spokeswoman with the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency. She said she could not confirm whether anyone had died.

Portions of Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama and Georgia were under a tornado watch until Thursday evening, according to the National Weather Service.

The same storm system swept through east Texas, north Louisiana and Arkansas late Wednesday, according to the weather service. The system spawned eight tornadoes and nearly 40 areas reported large hail and wind damage.

A tornado killed at least one person and injured 17 in Arkansas, according to the state's Department of Emergency Management.

Newton Mayor Hamp Beatty said many parts of the town of 3,700 people about 60 miles east of Jackson had sustained damage. Gas and electricity were out everywhere, he said. A local state of emergency has been declared.

"It's pretty much a mess," Beatty said.

Denise Smith, 28, was working in the back of the Wal-Mart when the "lights flashed about four or five times" and then went out completely. The store was packed with holiday shoppers when the tornado hit shortly after 1 p.m. (2 p.m. ET).

"We didn't have any kind of warning," Smith told CNN.

The tornado first blew out the front windows and then the roof began giving way.

"I could see the roof and I could see it coming towards the back and all of the roof started caving in," Smith said.

She then "hit the floor." The store was completely dark, she said, and people yelled for help.

Terry McKinon, who works at the nearby BP E-Z Stop convenience store, said he heard the tornado "rumbling and rumbling" before it swooped down.

"Several small buildings were all turned upside down," he said.

McKinon said other businesses, including a Sonic drive-in, were "flattened," and he saw a truck overturned on the nearby interstate.

The Wal-Mart is north of Newton and the La-Z-Boy factory is in the downtown area of the city. Carruth said the chair factory is one of the largest factories in the state.

"When the main place to work is La-Z-Boy and the main place to shop is Wal-Mart, when that area is impacted, it impacts the whole community," Carruth said.

The mayor said crews were assessing the damage and the first priority was to get utilities turned back on.

"We're just doing the best we can," Beatty said.

12/19/2002 16:45

...or a lay-z boy chair factory, if there was one around here anyway.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest willy.wonka

today at walmart i seen some little baby get crushed by a cart cause the "cart worker didnt see her"..the cart fell some how and crushed the baby again..the mom was pretty pissed..i told her that she should call her aunty "sue"

Guest me IS cool
Originally posted by willy.wonka

today at walmart i seen some little baby get crushed by a cart cause the "cart worker didnt see her"..the cart fell some how and crushed the baby again..the mom was pretty pissed..i told her that she should call her aunty "sue"

Haha that made me laugh out loud.... ahhh I remeber back in the good ol days when I used to push carts for wal-mart I used to hit cars on purpose and see what kind of dent they would get. I also used to run a slick ass scam involving krylons... but I've said to much already....

MR. Pink

Look, I ordered coffee. Now we've

been here a long fuckin time, and

she's only filled my cup three

times. When I order coffee, I

want it filled six times.

MR. BLONDE

What if she's too busy?

MR. Pink

The words "too busy" shouldn't be

in a waitress's vocabulary.

MR. PINK