Why are people obsessed with the 80's?

Raw fish

What the hell is with this recent infatuation with everything 80's? Every time I turn around, someone is talking about how they want to go to an 80's dance party, or which movies they loved from the 80's, or they are listening to some god awful pop from 1986. Its not a "forgotten favorite", its CRAP! Thats why we forgot it. If it was good, we wouldn't have forgotten it. Only sorta related, there is a radio station around these parts that does flashback sets, its called the 4oclock class reunion, taking you back to the days of highschool... now, I dont know about everyone else, but I also didnt like highschool the first time around, stop fucking reminding me, I dont want to go back... same theory about both of these things... is your life so fucking pointless/hopeless that you need to live in the fucking past when you remember things being different? I hate this 80's revival crap...

oh, right, i was waiting for someone to explain this shit to me... discuss...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest R@ndomH3ro
Originally posted by Raw fish@Mar 31 2006, 05:15 PM

What the hell is with this recent infatuation with everything 80's? Every time I turn around, someone is talking about how they want to go to an 80's dance party, or which movies they loved from the 80's, or they are listening to some god awful pop from 1986. Its not a "forgotten favorite", its CRAP! Thats why we forgot it. If it was good, we wouldn't have forgotten it. Only sorta related, there is a radio station around these parts that does flashback sets, its called the 4oclock class reunion, taking you back to the days of highschool... now, I dont know about everyone else, but I also didnt like highschool the first time around, stop fucking reminding me, I dont want to go back... same theory about both of these things... is your life so fucking pointless/hopeless that you need to live in the fucking past when you remember things being different? I hate this 80's revival crap...

Why are people obsessed with the eighties? Because during this time they had the best toys, candy, and cartoons. Plus all the cool movies.

here's my rationale toward the whole 80's fever going on:

people are collecting alot of shoes/clothes/toys etc from the 80's because when they were a kid in the 80's, they were too broke for any of that shit. i know i was. so now that they've got money, that's what they're going for.

but also there's the kids that weren't alive then that have no idea why they're doing it other than the fact that they see other people doing it and they think it's cool.

oh, and there was some kick ass music back then too....the cure, echo & the bunnymen, new order....the list goes on

Originally posted by SneakandCreep+Mar 31 2006, 02:22 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SneakandCreep - Mar 31 2006, 02:22 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Raw fish@Mar 31 2006, 05:15 PM

What the hell is with this recent infatuation with everything 80's?  Every time I turn around, someone is talking about how they want to go to an 80's dance party, or which movies they loved from the 80's, or they are listening to some god awful pop from 1986.  Its not a "forgotten favorite", its CRAP! Thats why we forgot it.  If it was good, we wouldn't have forgotten it.  Only sorta related, there is a radio station around these parts that does flashback sets, its called the 4oclock class reunion, taking you back to the days of highschool... now, I dont know about everyone else, but I also didnt like highschool the first time around, stop fucking reminding me, I dont want to go back... same theory about both of these things... is your life so fucking pointless/hopeless that you need to live in the fucking past when you remember things being different?  I hate this 80's revival crap...

Why are people obsessed with the eighties? Because during this time they had the best toys, candy, and cartoons. Plus all the cool movies.

[/b]

duh...and you used to have toys that can hurt you, the candy that rotted your teeth, and fuckin' bitchin' movies and cartoons that you shouldn't have been watching when you were young. you know, all the good stuff. now it sucks to be a kid, everything is so safe. you don't get to make your own toys out of tv boxes or make cool forts anymore.

pop culture and garbage go hand in hand? :(

.............although i wiil say this, Boogie Down Productions knows my posse resides on broadway.

naw, i understand that things were better/cooler/easier then... I just can see focusing on things that have past and not thinking forward... my thinking is like, hey, that stuff was cool, lets see if we can do better and make NOW even more awesome...

and yeah, there was some kick ass music then, but the crap everyone loves from then sucks... or maybe I just dont like synthasizers in my music....

bah... most of the 80's revival fads are late 80's and early 90's.

I was born in the 70's and I know I didn't grow up in the 80's.

All the things I loved when I was a little kid (under 12) involved

slingshots, putting shit on train tracks, matches and mud.

Pop culture didn't influence me untill way later. I was still rockin

no-name chuck talyor rip-offs and jogging pants in the 80's.

Sure you can love ET and the thundercats, but adult trends were shit.

Originally posted by *Mr.Selfdestruct*@Mar 31 2006, 11:40 PM

The first cigarette I put in my mouth was candy. Mmmmmm, cig-a-rettes (homer simpson voice).

i remember candy cigarettes...I think they still sell those in mexicao and the midwest.

I remember some kid brought a cigarette to school and when he was caught with it, he tried to say it was a candy smoke filled with chocolate flakes.

He got his ass hauled in to the office.....oooooooo!

Originally posted by you enjoy myself@Mar 31 2006, 08:33 PM

there was some real dope music that came out of the 80's. this is true.

just listen to DFA records and their ilk. It's the punk-disco-wave fusion that never happened in the 80's, but it's happening now.