Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Why are people obsessed with the 80's?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Raw fish, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Raw fish

Raw fish Member

What the hell is with this recent infatuation with everything 80's? Every time I turn around, someone is talking about how they want to go to an 80's dance party, or which movies they loved from the 80's, or they are listening to some god awful pop from 1986. Its not a "forgotten favorite", its CRAP! Thats why we forgot it. If it was good, we wouldn't have forgotten it. Only sorta related, there is a radio station around these parts that does flashback sets, its called the 4oclock class reunion, taking you back to the days of highschool... now, I dont know about everyone else, but I also didnt like highschool the first time around, stop fucking reminding me, I dont want to go back... same theory about both of these things... is your life so fucking pointless/hopeless that you need to live in the fucking past when you remember things being different? I hate this 80's revival crap...

oh, right, i was waiting for someone to explain this shit to me... discuss...

2. Why are people obsessed with the eighties? Because during this time they had the best toys, candy, and cartoons. Plus all the cool movies.

3. Poop Man Bob

Poop Man Bob Dirty Dozen Crew

Probably a few reasons:

1) all of us were kids then, and, generally, being a kid was fun.
    2) along the same lines, most of our first memories are from the 80s/80ish things.
    3) the camp/irony factor, since, as you said, the 80s were "CRAP."

Just off the top of my head.

4. Abracadabra

Abracadabra Dirty Dozen Crew

here's my rationale toward the whole 80's fever going on:

people are collecting alot of shoes/clothes/toys etc from the 80's because when they were a kid in the 80's, they were too broke for any of that shit. i know i was. so now that they've got money, that's what they're going for.

but also there's the kids that weren't alive then that have no idea why they're doing it other than the fact that they see other people doing it and they think it's cool.

oh, and there was some kick ass music back then too....the cure, echo & the bunnymen, new order....the list goes on

5. Gat Bush

Gat Bush Veteran Member

6. FuzZy

FuzZy Elite Member

cause a lot of us were either youths or in our teens and it reminds us of our childhood in a way.......duhhhhh

your peeps will probably tell you how cool the 50's and 60's were right....

7. GamblersGrin

GamblersGrin Elite Member

8. count chocula

count chocula Veteran Member

...and knowing is half the battle.

9. Milk Grenades

Milk Grenades Dirty Dozen Crew

Why are people obsessed with the eighties? Because during this time they had the best toys, candy, and cartoons. Plus all the cool movies.
    [post=4431966]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

duh...and you used to have toys that can hurt you, the candy that rotted your teeth, and fuckin' bitchin' movies and cartoons that you shouldn't have been watching when you were young. you know, all the good stuff. now it sucks to be a kid, everything is so safe. you don't get to make your own toys out of tv boxes or make cool forts anymore.

10. Thought Wrong

Thought Wrong Member

11. dnt.smke.regs

dnt.smke.regs New Jack

pop culture and garbage go hand in hand? :(

.............although i wiil say this, Boogie Down Productions knows my posse resides on broadway.

12. neater

neater Junior Member

I LOVE THE EIGHTIES!!!!!

13. Getzup

Getzup Member

the 80's were the teenage years of little america, now we are in the downwoard spiral of adult hood.

14. Gunm

Gunm Banned

seriously, cartoons these days are shit

the 1980's were the golden age of saturday morning cartoons.

But as far as 80's fashion goes....i can't stand the fucking sight of it

15. fuse=--action

fuse=--action Senior Member

I don't actually like the eighties, but I have to know about them because a lot of my friends are hipsters.

True story.
    -fuse.