1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

why are children afraid of the dark?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by kaesthebluntedwonder, Feb 10, 2002.

1. kaesthebluntedwonder

kaesthebluntedwonder 12oz Elite Member

why are children afraid of the dark?

Discussion started by kaesthebluntedwonder - Feb 10, 2002

ive been thinking a lil lately and was just talking to my dad about this. some say the reason why all children have been afraid to enter a dark empty room at some point in they childhood is because a certain fear has been burned into their unconscious...it dates back to when families would be in the woods say on a picnic and a small child would wander off and get devoured by wolves or perhaps a bear. this could have happened 400 years ago, but all children experience that sort of fear when they are in a dark room and they think a monster is going to get them. it probly sounds like im reaching pretty far here, but cmon, i know every single one of you was scared like that as a child.

:idea:

kaesthebluntedwonder - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  2. ASER1NE

ASER1NE 12oz Veteran Member

ASER1NE - Replied Feb 10, 2002

fuck im still like that sometimes

ASER1NE - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  3. B_As_In_Bot

B_As_In_Bot 12oz Elite Member

B_As_In_Bot - Replied Feb 10, 2002

so your saying its an instinctual thing for young kids to be afraid of darkness. Ill agree with that. Its just too bad that for us humans our instincts have diminished so greatly and to the point where we dont have a clue what it is we actually fear. Not knowing what it is we actually fear brings on a bigger fear of just not knowing. I think its a combination of these 2 factors that enhances the fear of darkness.

B_As_In_Bot - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  4. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle 12oz Veteran Member

Dr. Dazzle - Replied Feb 10, 2002

I'm always scared I'm gonna hear this knocking on my door in the middle of the night when I know everyone's tucked away in bed. My rooms in the basement, so that would scare the hell out of me.....

Dr. Dazzle - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  5. imported_El Mamerro - Replied Feb 10, 2002

Not quite as farfetched as you think... That's pure Jungian psychology right there (collective unconscious, etc).

I have to agree with what I read on a Calvin and Hobbes... Kids are afraid of the dark because you can't see anything to distract you from your other fears.

I kinda think fear is the brain's natural response when it stops receiving sensory input. We rely so much on vision when we're young that upon lack of sight some kind of "Something's Wrong" alarm starts blaring up there, and results in us experiencing fear. Beer,

El Mamerro

6. tue skinny

tue skinny 12oz Elite Member

tue skinny - Replied Feb 10, 2002

im scared of dark places

tue skinny - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  7. kaesthebluntedwonder

kaesthebluntedwonder - Replied Feb 10, 2002

i cant front, over the summer i walked across a huge open space in a huge park to get to a spot on the tracks and i became a bit shook

i will agree with b though. our western way of thinking isnt so healthy.

8. kaesthebluntedwonder

beer

my dad told me hes writting a report on jungs phsychology and that was brought up. whenever i get driven back to school we always have some cool talks.

9. Pilau Hands

Pilau Hands Guest

Pilau Hands - Replied Feb 10, 2002

There was a tv show on for a while..."PROFIT" about something or other. Anyway, the main character was a successful lawyer I think. Fancy apartment, but he had a little room which he kept unlit. Instead of sleeping in his huge bed, he'd go into that room and sleep in the cardboard box he had placed inside. He had a fucked up childhood and that was his comfort...the box.

I'm still afraid of the dark soemtimes, cause like mammero said, you can't see anything to distract you from your other fears. I start imagining gigantic sharp-teethed things, and run.

At one point I thought I'd plan to lull my baby to sleep in the dark...try and instill comfort in it and dispell fear. Then I thought...what if it ends up as an adult sleeping in a box...

10. kaesthebluntedwonder

whenever a traumatic experience happens to you a piece of your soul is lost. my dad was telling me that some people will go to shamans who will then find this piece of their soul, bring it back to them, which in turn gives them a totally different attitude in life...

11. imported_Tesseract - Replied Feb 10, 2002

Apart from the kid psycology part, wich i think is compared to chaos for them, I'd like to say that fear is the western worlds biggest product.

12. kaesthebluntedwonder

another 2 cents deposited

im just saying that the western way of thinking is to prove everything in a scientific manner, which throws spirituality out the window...

13. graffsurgeon

graffsurgeon Banned

graffsurgeon - Replied Feb 10, 2002

i remember when i was 3 or 4 standing over a puddle in my basement all scared to cross it because it had a reflection of the ceiling on it and i thought i would fall through it or someshit. i dont know, when i find myself behind warehouses in the middle of nowhere at 3 am i'll stop and ponder upon the reason im there for 4 or 5 seconds then keep doing my thing..shit that hurts us usually doesent scare us..shit will sneak up on you all friendly then bite you in the jugular.

graffsurgeon - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  14. kaesthebluntedwonder

i used to be afraid to jump in the deep end of my grandparents swimming pool because it was a box shaped decline, like a square at the bottom with four sides that inclined up...i thought i would get swallowed up by the thing

15. graffsurgeon

graffsurgeon Banned

graffsurgeon - Replied Feb 10, 2002

it was probley your conciounce(sp) telling you not to because of that drain pipe.

graffsurgeon - Rank: Banned - Messages: