whose got my extra for the white stripes in NYC

mental invalid

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest beardo

YO SON

i scored a couple tracks from your boy brad meldau (forget how his last goes) exit music and p. android... hot shit dude. extremely hot shit. must get more.

end transmission

...YEAH!!!!!......

adam is a huge fan of his, and im so glad he took me to that show....its funny to, cause i was reading an article about radiohead, and at the end, the band is all hanging around colins kitchen and he goes and puts a cd and he throws mehldau in....classic

ill try to find everything in its right place for ya....like whoah, and ofcourse you will be coming up next show he does....the album ive heard, i think is called "places"

beardo i got my one finger up, NEED A MIRACLE!

Guest Pilau Hands

Uhmm...I heard the Roots are playing Providence in April...

They funked shit up on the Jay-Z unplugged thing. Seriously too fresh.

Uhhhh...I'm making some Pearl Jam "must have songs" cds for a selct few. Mental, I meant to ask...I can download song by song on Kazaa, but where are you finding whole concerts dude? It's just silly

Daughter/It's Ok August 24, 2000, Jones Beach; New York, NY

oh my stars

oh my stars

absolutely fucking sick!!!

i love that cut.....and heres a little tip for ya, incase you didnt know, and im sure you do, but thats live on the 2000 touring band dvd...and bro if you havent seen it, you really should...and yeah its in vhs format too....that song is my fav off that dvd....

pilau lemme check the sites and ill get back to ya....what are you working on t1 line or cable, hope not modem....

added this link if you want more info on the dvd:

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/...s/band2000.html

oh roe, incase you didnt know, FUCK THE WHITE STRIPES. im not nearly as anti-WS, as i am anti-strokes, but still, i cant deal with bands that do nothing but bite their whole style, getting deemed as 'genius.' plus, they're from detroit and supposed to be some underground phenomenon, yet i had never once heard of them or seen there name, till they were on Mtv. and detroit isnt like NY, theres a very small scene and if something is going on, you know about it. i also cant deal with americans who want to act all odd and uncomfortable like they were british. fuck you.

hahaha fucking seeking....man it was only a matter of time until the good doctor chimed in with his blasting diagnosis...actually i was suprised it took this long...man its good thing we had chance to hang for a bit or else i would think your the biggest bastard....hahaha thats all love ofcourse....

but i thought you kinda liked em? didnt you compare em to the beatles at first....in the first stroke thread?

seriously though, i mean come on, a duo of guitar and drums? their a minimalistic sound that rocks....and i dont watch fucking mtv...

so whose style are they chomping?

two more questions for you seeks...one:when are you coming over this way again and two, where is my fucking package!!;)

lets put it likes this beardo, i would only go and see em one night....but i dig their sound alot....

yes, mr abc, that is them......

CASH FOR YOUR EXTRA!!!!

i said that they sounded like a low fi beatles, or led zepplin. which they do. which isnt as annoying as the strokes, but still. my whole thing against them isn't against them as much as it against the critics that wanna act like what they're doing is so 'new' or 'cool'... i mean, maybe im just being a hater, but acting like your british, running with a gimick, and being ugly all get the dilsnick from this brotha right here.

basically i guess my problem is with the elitest NY and LA jackasses, that try and act like these bands are so 'cool' and 'hip' when you know damn well they'll just abandon them as soon as the next thing comes along. people like that just get on my nerves. theres no reason a ticket to the 'white stripes' should be costing 300 dollars. thats like when tickle me elmo was so hot a few years ago, and so all the rich white people drove the price up to like 500 bucks, making sure a working black man couldnt get one for his kids. fuck that shit. its musical gentrification and i wont have any part of it. im gonna go listen to 'goatsnake' who im certain no one in NY will give a shit about.

meldhau is cool and all but....

me personnally, i prefer traditional jazz piano...a la monk, bud powell, lenny tristano, red garland, herbie nichols, errol garner, hampton hawes, etc etc etc, list goes on forvever...

and if you like meldhau so much, do yourself a favor and pick up an art tatum cd, one in particular is a double cd: "the complete capitol recordings", just to compare the two styles and see how different shit was back then...meldhau aint got shit on tatum..actually, i dont think anyone does...

Guest HESHIANDET

wait im confused..are we all getting drunk? i wish modest mouse would play every night. i bet there are hot girls at a strokes show...even though i was born "ugly" steez, i won't hate on those rich kids whos daddy got em a record deal.

so i just check my fucking email and in the subject line is "white stripes", im all fucking amped thinking one of my hooks found a fish...ah but i click on the fucking thing, and the kid is asking me about where in NYC are they playing....i was ready to give him a good taste of 12oz lecturing:

"your on the fucking white stripes site, and your asking me? why dont you do your own fucking research...geesh ever heard of a search engine toy!...fucking kids:rolleyes: "

but instead i just said bowery balllroom....

"wait im confused..are we all getting drunk?"-hesh

mind erasers mangs? name the time and the place.....

im all about going to see modest mouse dood...lemme know if you find ANYTHING...ill drive...how were the slopes?

whether your right or wrong seeks, i love reading your philosphical tirades....there needs to be more people in the world like that....only seeks brings in current socio-economic theory using tickle me elmo....in all fairness dood, the people did bid up to 300...i mean i guess thats free market at its best, a sucker every minute...fuck that shit though, ill find a head at the show and grab one for face..."please believe"....and yes im harrasing you, wheres my package?

kaes dropping serious jazz names....i gotta admit i only know monk...i heard that meldhau was alot more "untraditional" then his vanguard shows...my boy who saw him before says he was real chill compared to the last time he saw him....one of the things i loved about him, was how he played the piano....its mindblowing.....hes really quite fucking amazing for like what 26 years old?...but i dont really know him in the grand scheme of jazz, but im gonna check him out again...id like to see him solo...

about that taping im all over it...ill email you...by the way i know some guy who taped it too....he plays bass, no chance of a small world connection is there?

rage the only kottonmouth i know id the one i currently have.....

roeaddressingthewholethreadoner

if he goes to school in nyc then probly not, as im not too familiar with too many heads down there. but who knows, maybe there is. drop a name in the email...

theres a wide spectrum in jazz, like the light spectrum...so many different styles but its all somehow rooted in the same place. meldhau is killin though, just in his own personal unique way, which is what makes anyone worth listening to and checking out.

and check out bill evans at all? look for "bill evans trio- sunday at the village vanguard" or "waltz for debby"... both are milestones in the history of the music and have influenced many many people, including meldhau...

oh and both were recorded in 1961 at the village vanguard...tons of history made at that joint

Originally posted by seeking

i said that they sounded like a low fi beatles, or led zepplin. which they do. which isnt as annoying as the strokes, but still. my whole thing against them isn't against them as much as it against the critics that wanna act like what they're doing is so 'new' or 'cool'... i mean, maybe im just being a hater, but acting like your british, running with a gimick, and being ugly all get the dilsnick from this brotha right here.

http://freephoto-i.net/users/acidxtreme21/DREDS.jpg'>

"ahhhhh seeking posted here, i can smell his essense"

...busted by beardo....dam it.....

kaes, he doesnt school down there....okay, i guess were not really blowing up spots, so is his name henry?

heh how about herbie hancock playing at irving plaza? this saturday? hes playing with an opening act that is live trance, my boy saw that act at bowery and said it was sick....i might be going to that one....

anyone heard of clinic?

okay im late, ill "see" you all monday....

later.....

Guest railroadjerk

hey, if the industry loves them, we all must want to love them too?

straight up, FUCK the white stripes. screw every corporate sponsored, "underground" band on a major label (phantom planet is the next one, watch out. jason schwartzman is in the band = stardom pass). these bands devalue any other hardworking group who not only play better music, but are at least creative! for gods sake, people are doing the same thing over and over and GETTING AWAY WITH IT. at the nye show, the strokes played with gbv which alone pisses me off. the lead singer was inebriated and could barely finish a song...meanwhile, robert from gbv was cool calm and drunk as shit but still put out a cracking show...just goes to show, dudes from the strokes cant even drink at a professional level let alone play.

spin magazine said that their "haunts" were the lower east side dive bars and streets, but in reality im sure it was big apartments and nyu dorms. these guys are FAKES!

people jump on these bands like wildfire, and whats funny is they dont even know why! "wow, urban outfitters sponsored their tour? well ive got a fresh pair of steve madden sneakers and some diesel jeans...i guess i can buy my "fan status" here too." fucking jerks.

when you get into a band WITHOUT the help of a "buzz," its real...otherwise its all bullshit, like leather wearing psuedo-hipsters calling themselves underground while their video gets major rotation on mtv.

rant of the day.

o..........................................k

anyways....

lemme be frank.....

i dont know the article, but i dont read spin....i dont know who sponsors them....but i dont shop at urban outfitters....i never heard them on the radio, but i dont listen to the radio....i never saw em on mtv, but i dont watch mtv...

ya see i listen to the white stripes because i like their sound...i realize ofcourse that this could be revolutionary concept to a few....but as you now see none of the shit you mentioned influenced my decision to buy their cd....

as far as your "rants" go, i really have nothing to say....yes your right....there will always be such a difference between bands that suck and bands that rock....

but thats about it....yeah yeah there are the buzz machines out there churing out a factory of the latest and greatest, and if you really want to hear good music then you need to step beyond virgin records on somedays....

but please people its not like its milli vanilli here, this a group of brotehr and sister, one playing drums and the other guitar.....im racking my brain early monday, but i cant think of another band set up like that....are they groundbreaking, in as far as they dont suck, yes...are the of the complexity of like, oh say brad meldhau?

oh wait, you ve never heard of him!!!

geesh what are you a spin reading, urban outfit wearing, radio suckling, mtv bastard child?

blar your own music.....

(ps...if you any of the bands you or anyone else listen to were to get the same opportunity to play their music, they would, and no im not saying selling out...im just saying enjoying the independence to do nothing but create and play music....enjoy their DL status...and be careful what you wish for)

NOW WHERE IS MY FUCKING EXTRA?!!!

Guest railroadjerk

"(ps...if you any of the bands you or anyone else listen to were to get the same opportunity to play their music, they would, and no im not saying selling out...im just saying enjoying the independence to do nothing but create and play music....enjoy their DL status...and be careful what you wish for)"

that doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. i think you were trying to say that any other band would jump on and ride the talk all the way to the top like the white stripes or the strokes would? you think at that level they get the opportunity to enjoy "DL status?" hardly. if anything, in exchange for services, major labels take you from your dream world to "create and play music" and turn you into a money making machine, devoid of any creative process. they sold their soul for distribution and marketing, essentially losing cred and creative liscence in the process. they become the monkey, to the major labels organ grinder.

pretty funny how they traded sympathy for the record industry for v2, kind of ironic, huh?

and dont try and drop names to support how groundbreaking they are...they play stripped down blues and rock and roll. GROUNDBREAKING? dude, please. minimalist rock and roll (shellac, the delgados...anything on teen beat records) has been around for a long time (in the indie sense of the term), so dont tell ME whats groundbreaking or not. and if you try and drop names, ill drop 10 more.

"this a group of brotehr and sister, one playing drums and the other guitar.....im racking my brain early monday, but i cant think of another band set up like that...."

hmmm the carpenters, maybe? but that was groundbreaking in the 70s. wow, give it up for siblings playing music together...WHAT A STRETCH!

...first let me say im on your side dood....i agree with everything you "rant" about....

im sorry its early and perhaps i was being confusing.....

no what i was trying to say was that the goal of any artist is to do nothing but create...and if their creations allows for them financially to continue to dedicate their lives to their art, then this is the best that they can hope to achieve...you think the band that opened for the strokes likes them, maybe or maybe not...but they opened for em, why? cause as an artist all they wanted to do was play and make a name so they can play some more...as far as the "dl" status, no the white stripes are not playing msg, they are playing bowery which holds a thousand...big but not blown...but its funny cause ive seen bands where i cursed that they got the shaft, that they should be the headliner....where is their respect...and then bang, im stuck at the back of a 3000 people instead of 300....thats what i was trying to say as far as careful what you wish for....

i think i said groundbreaking to the point they didnt suck....and i dont think i dropped any names....

im just letting you know that the ice you skate on is thin...the problem is that music is in part a perceptual idea of what the listner thinks sucks and doesnt suck...again, let me say that i listen to the whitestripes because i like their sound...not because of any media outlets or buzz....i heard about them in another thread and decided to just get an album....i put it on...and i liked the sound....perish the thought....

i never said minimalist rock was a new concept......

yes the carpenters were a brother and sister music duo...although i dont really care for it:

"The brother-and-sister team of Richard and Karen Carpenter may be the best thing to ever come out of their native Downey, Calif. The former child prodigies became superstars after Herb Alpert discovered them and soon helped transform them into one of the biggest acts ever on his (at-the-time) still fledgling A&M label."

found this and had to laugh...even the carpenters need a good A&R rep...

"they play stripped down blues and rock and roll"

and i love it....early rolling stones

and how should we characterize the bands you "name dropped"....dare i say that they are in someway of stripped down or improved version of an earlier genre....

railroad listen to what you like thats all im saying....

if i listen to the whitestripes cause i wanted to be cool or hip, then yes your rant is well justified, but then again why would want to waste yor energy on people like that to begin with....

by the way you the names you dropped...i will check out...why?....curiousity....will i like them? who knows, but if i do i wont be because they are fringe rock and roll and im a cool insider....no rather ill like them simply beacuse they rock and roll...get it

:idea:

cheers

Guest railroadjerk

alright, alright. its dumb to be arguing about this, anyway.

this sort of thing is a sore spot for me, seeing many friends struggle with bands to only get minimal success, or always be on the brink.

more power to you for getting into something without the help from "industry," though if i were to be picky, seeing it on 12oz is just as much buzz as seeing it in a gap commercial. :)

youre a good dude, a fellow music fanatic...ive been on here a long time and can see that you actually care about this stuff more than the average joe.

but you had to expect something like this, being a fan of the white stripes at the height of their buzzitude...i just made up a new word.

"more power to you for getting into something without the help from "industry," though if i were to be picky, seeing it on 12oz is just as much buzz as seeing it in a gap commercial."

im keeping hope that this is not the case....any of the bands you mentioned im sure are not in gap commericials!...word of mouth is sometimes the best and only source...i cant know everythig out there and thus am somehwhat dependent on people, such as yourself....but yeah id be careful of my source....

please feel free to push any bands on me....actually id appreciate it... three or so would be plenty....although i can always revert back to "what are you listening to threads"

one last thing:

"pretty funny how they traded sympathy for the record industry for v2, kind of ironic, huh?"

can you explain that...sorry i dont know what you are refering too

i also hope the bands you fight for get their break and get to spread their music and become self sufficent....

and i hope that they go on to use their power effectively....and they become the bands that are smart who blow up...that dont see it as an opportunity to increase earned income, but rather as an increase in earned power to make decision in and out of the studio....and choose their own opening acts....

such as radiohead....:love2:

peace....roe

Guest railroadjerk

shoot, i start most of those "what are you listening to ***" threads.

white stripes were on a detroit indie label called sympathy for the record industry...they recently got picked up by v2, which i think has ties to sony? is it british? who knows.

roe, we haven't met. i'm fr8oh. i'm sure the rest of the gang can vouch for me. back to the matter at hand...

they're playing in philly and in jersey. some of the fellas should try and catch up for this badboy. i was gonna see if hesh and the rest of the philly family wanted to hit the troc while there's still tix but like i mentioned they're also playing in jersey somewhere.

ninjas should drop me an email or i can hit some of you on AIM tonite.

peace

Archived