who says graf is art?

Guest spec

holy shit, this is stupid. I don't even know why the fuck I'm posting this but it made me think, wow some people are really dense. Today in class the subject of graffiti in art came up, and i coulden't help but think, oh boy we're gunna get the stupid people who think they're cool claim graf is a legit art form. The funniest thing I thought is these people probably don't know shit about it only that they think it's part of the "cool hiphop culture." fuck that shit makes me upset, misguided intrepertations supported by morons, can't get any worse. Of course anyone who had any actuall insight about it didn't say anythign ebcause trying to argue it as art is lame. You can agree or disagree, anyway I'm curious to see the flak and maybe praise(?) this gets. :lol:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest --zeSto--

wow! We didn't discuss anything relevant in the 4th grade.

I had to do a project on Australia. Yep... It's down there somewhere!

yeah there are some artistic influneces, perhaps in some pieces. but in all seriousness no fucking critic is gunna devulge a writers life from his piece. But who knows this day in age anythign can be art so I don't knwo what the fuck I'm tlaking about. kill this thread, it was stupid

and my point wasn't about graf being considered art or not, it was about people representing shit they don't know about. Anyway i don't give a fuck about graf being art or not, epople can argue what they want it doesn't affect my painting

Guest --zeSto--

Is writing you name in the snow with urine an art?

Well obviously if you've ever done it, you'd know that it does take a great deal of skill and practice.

Plus like graffitit, a belly fully of beer can help sometimes.

*edit because I'm typoman today!

Guest FlamingHobo

fuck that...graffiti isn't art..nothing is art..art doesn't fucking exist..i hate people....the only "art" in graffiti is the art of pissing people off....fucking up notions of property....fuck you

Guest Firetruck
Originally posted by spec

Today in class the subject of graffiti in art came up, and i coulden't help but think, oh boy we're gunna get the stupid people who think they're cool claim graf is a legit art form. The funniest thing I thought is these people probably don't know shit about it only that they think it's part of the "cool hiphop culture."

So....... you had your mind made up ahead of time

fuck that shit makes me upset, misguided intrepertations supported by morons, can't get any worse. Of course anyone who had any actuall insight about it didn't say anythign ebcause trying to argue it as art is lame.

and you didn't open your mouth to change any of the misconceptions

great story

Originally posted by spec

The funniest thing I thought is these people probably don't know shit about it only that they think it's part of the "cool hiphop culture."

graffiti is actually a part of hip-hop culture...that is, if you think it isn't.

Re: Re: who says graf is art?

Originally posted by Firetruck

great story

people like that there's no changing thier misconceptions. and I'm not gunna speak up in class saying I'm a writer so they can bust me or so i can be one of those kids tyring to make myself sound cool fuck that. Anyway i also know graf is a part if hiphop culture but it's evolved form that to encompas so much more it doesn't do graf justice to limit it just to hiphop.

i'm on both sides... i think it's art outside of art. for people that want to do their shit on their own terms regardless of what other people think, and often the "meaning" of it is simply the fact that they're doing it, rather than what they're writing.

and if you don't think the aesthetic quality and creativity (or purposeful lack thereof) of the letterform is important... i don't know what to tell you.

i guess i think it's a conglomerate of lots of forms of art as well as other influences, mostly the person's "i feel like writing on this wall" attitude.. as well as the desire to do it as much and as well as possible.. which for me is where it fits into hip-hop, philosophy-wise, and i'd go into that more, but this is where i say:

WHO GIVES A FUCK

Originally posted by zorak

vandalism isn't cool

D.A.R.E

Originally posted by --zeSto--

Is writing you name in the snow with urine an art?

no, but throwing your blood on gallery onlookers is, especially if you have HIV, right?

--

oh well, at least kid koala is cool!

Re: Re: who says graf is art?

Originally posted by swif1

graffiti is actually a part of hip-hop culture...that is, if you think it isn't.

yes, technically, but graff transcends(pun intended) all classifications of genre and class, it is it's own culture. i listen to hip hop, but i'm jamming hardcore 7 days a week, always have. how many writer's do you know? are they all stereotypically "hip-hop"? where i come from, punk influenced most of us(albuquerque, if you know your history, you know what i'm talking about) and hip hop was there also, but before hip hop was bumping brooklyn and the bronx, graff was smoking streets and lines from l.a. to philly. when i find myself rocking a freight with atdi playing on my headphones in burberry and cackies or tight jeans and a iron maiden shirt, it's hard to think about graff as being held down to just hip hop. just some wisdom from a dumb old man.

Guest angry xbox

yeah i used to think graff was art then i relaly learned about my shit and realised that graff is not art its a damn lifestyle and ummmm if you practiced night and day for a weeek you could be half as good as daim and FX but what about knowing spots and being quick and good. thats not art related thats like... i dunno but i would say thad be lifestlye right like racking cans an shit. Naw it aint art thats for sure.

Re: Re: Re: who says graf is art?

Originally posted by ragsoe505

yes, technically, but graff transcends(pun intended) all classifications of genre and class, it is it's own culture. i listen to hip hop, but i'm jamming hardcore 7 days a week, always have. how many writer's do you know? are they all stereotypically "hip-hop"? where i come from, punk influenced most of us(albuquerque, if you know your history, you know what i'm talking about) and hip hop was there also, but before hip hop was bumping brooklyn and the bronx, graff was smoking streets and lines from l.a. to philly. when i find myself rocking a freight with atdi playing on my headphones in burberry and cackies or tight jeans and a iron maiden shirt, it's hard to think about graff as being held down to just hip hop. just some wisdom from a dumb old man.

Yeah, same hear I only met, maybe 1-2 kids who write and listened to hiphop. whether or not hiphop is where graf had it's roots doesn't matter much now, those days are dead and graf stands on it's own. All the kids I know who write including myself listen to hardcore, bleH so music doesn't matter

And all this art shit, anything can be art. You fling shit on a canvas painting of one fucked up looking virgin mary and it's a fucking masterpiece in a museum... it happened. So I dunno what you call graf, art or not. I just hate the critical anaylsis and nonsense of art that people attempt to impress on graf. don't tell me that you look at a piece and judge the use of space and how it's conceptual aspects influence the piece as a whole etc. Granted some of you may and it's probably always apparent in the piece even if you don't judge it, but do we really give a shit? I say don't try to anaylze it, it's wasted time.

Graffiti is a mural on the side of a building. Graffiti is a slogan or slur found in a bathroom stall. Graffiti is a scrawl of someone's name or nickname on the side of a building. Graffiti is a political or artistic logo stenciled on a post office box or traffic sign. Graffiti is a multi-colored cartoon incorporating its writer's name. Graffiti is in your face. Graffiti is illegal. Graffiti is dangerous.

Graffiti is art.

Originally posted by kristy

Graffiti is a mural on the side of a building. Graffiti is a slogan or slur found in a bathroom stall. Graffiti is a scrawl of someone's name or nickname on the side of a building. Graffiti is a political or artistic logo stenciled on a post office box or traffic sign. Graffiti is a multi-colored cartoon incorporating its writer's name. Graffiti is in your face. Graffiti is illegal. Graffiti is dangerous.

Graffiti is art.

thanks for that bit. Like I said anything is art, so it doesn't matter. But what exactly is art? Besides being anything and the lame dictionary def.

if I tape a picture of my face to my face and walk around bumping into shit that'd be conceptual performance art. if all art is is being self expressive getting dressed every morning could be art. People express themselves through what they wear but we don't call it art. not saying graf's not art. but it's not fine art and sure as hell shouldn't be analysed like so. but that could be argued. anyway I never plan to see my graf work in a gallery atleast.

word... bleh, it's not worth discussing. but it depends on how broad your definition of art is. i think the female body is art. i think a good sandwich is art. i think people who write their name on walls in pretty ways is art.

yea it can be art but so can anything basically. dont see a huge difference in spitting oil paint on a canvas or putting spraypaint on metal. But fuck it why care? Everybody from the artfag to toughguy has his own description of what graffitti is,was, or suppose to be. you may see it as some big complex culture while the next guy sees as a simple hobbie or a way of marking territory.

Guest angry xbox
Originally posted by kristy

Graffiti is art.

BTW you already posted this you crazy whore

Archived