1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

who says graf is art?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by spec, Nov 4, 2002.

1. spec

spec Guest

who says graf is art?

Discussion started by spec - Nov 4, 2002

holy shit, this is stupid. I don't even know why the fuck I'm posting this but it made me think, wow some people are really dense. Today in class the subject of graffiti in art came up, and i coulden't help but think, oh boy we're gunna get the stupid people who think they're cool claim graf is a legit art form. The funniest thing I thought is these people probably don't know shit about it only that they think it's part of the "cool hiphop culture." fuck that shit makes me upset, misguided intrepertations supported by morons, can't get any worse. Of course anyone who had any actuall insight about it didn't say anythign ebcause trying to argue it as art is lame. You can agree or disagree, anyway I'm curious to see the flak and maybe praise(?) this gets. :lol:

2. zorak

zorak 12oz Member

zorak - Replied Nov 4, 2002

it is art...

it doesn't have to be argued. if it wasn't art i doubt i would be into it. vandalism isn't cool, self expression is.

zorak - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  3. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

--zeSto-- - Replied Nov 4, 2002

wow! We didn't discuss anything relevant in the 4th grade.

I had to do a project on Australia. Yep... It's down there somewhere!

4. Ski Mask

Ski Mask 12oz Loyalist

Ski Mask - Replied Nov 4, 2002

no rules saying art has to be legal to still be art. I think graff is an art...even handstyles. Its largely hated and dismissed unless its in the form of legal productions, but it still qualifies none the less.

Ski Mask - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  5. spec

spec Guest

spec - Replied Nov 4, 2002

yeah there are some artistic influneces, perhaps in some pieces. but in all seriousness no fucking critic is gunna devulge a writers life from his piece. But who knows this day in age anythign can be art so I don't knwo what the fuck I'm tlaking about. kill this thread, it was stupid
    and my point wasn't about graf being considered art or not, it was about people representing shit they don't know about. Anyway i don't give a fuck about graf being art or not, epople can argue what they want it doesn't affect my painting

6. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

Is writing you name in the snow with urine an art?

Well obviously if you've ever done it, you'd know that it does take a great deal of skill and practice.
    Plus like graffitit, a belly fully of beer can help sometimes.

*edit because I'm typoman today!

7. FlamingHobo

FlamingHobo Guest

FlamingHobo - Replied Nov 4, 2002

fuck that...graffiti isn't art..nothing is art..art doesn't fucking exist..i hate people....the only "art" in graffiti is the art of pissing people off....fucking up notions of property....fuck you

8. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

I believe that part of your statement.

*typoman strikes again!

9. Naubzer

Naubzer New Jack

Naubzer - Replied Nov 4, 2002

Like Per One said from the FX video us graffit artist get judged and hated by the tool we choose to do our 'art' So her it is, if it wasn't it wouldn't be here this long.:D

Naubzer - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  10. Firetruck

Firetruck Guest

Firetruck - Replied Nov 4, 2002

great story

11. swif1

swif1 12oz Veteran Member

swif1 - Replied Nov 4, 2002

graffiti is actually a part of hip-hop culture...that is, if you think it isn't.

swif1 - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  12. dahighlifdhl

dahighlifdhl 12oz Senior Member

dahighlifdhl - Replied Nov 4, 2002

yup

dahighlifdhl - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  13. wREk OnE

wREk OnE 12oz Member

wREk OnE - Replied Nov 4, 2002

Re: it is art...

haha at art fagging.....

wREk OnE - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  14. spec

spec Guest

spec - Replied Nov 5, 2002

Re: Re: who says graf is art?

people like that there's no changing thier misconceptions. and I'm not gunna speak up in class saying I'm a writer so they can bust me or so i can be one of those kids tyring to make myself sound cool fuck that. Anyway i also know graf is a part if hiphop culture but it's evolved form that to encompas so much more it doesn't do graf justice to limit it just to hiphop.