who played D&D as a kid...or now (yes, i was THAT LOSER.)

Guest MR BOJANGLES

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I'm oldschool Dungeons and Dragons, I was playing before most of you were born ('78) on the original set which is now a collector's item (World of Greyhawk/Blackmoor supplement), making maps on hex paper, the enchilada in its entirety.

I haven't played in years. But as I've said many times I'll whip all of you at chess.

:crazy: :king:

• Like 1

Guest MR BOJANGLES
Originally posted by Cracked Ass

I'm oldschool Dungeons and Dragons, I was playing before most of you were born ('78) on the original set which is now a collector's item (World of Greyhawk/Blackmoor supplement), making maps on hex paper, the enchilada in its entirety.

I haven't played in years. But as I've said many times I'll whip all of you at chess.

:crazy: :king:

ive got the ORIGINAL players handbook and dungeon masters guide somewhere here still. props to you cracked.

well, your guys first mistake is that you played dungeons and dragons. your profit sharing ratio 401k gross earnings curve just goes straight down into the dumps from there. SELL SELL SELL!!!! BUY PORK BELLY AND HOGFAT!!!!! lards the big seller this year and im captian of the gondolier to shittsville.

good god that game sucks.

sleep.

D&D and the downfall of religion

D&D was the best....we would play for hours and hours.....so much fun....my story, once when i was like 12 i used to fill in for my boy selling the sunday papers outside of church....yeah i know goes against the story in the bible, but it was good cash...anyways, it sucked cause youd have to get there at 7 and stay till one....so i brought with me some D&D stuff....i remember it had to do with Ogres (sp?)...well anyways i so psyched when i got outta there i forgot the book behind....well i go back after what was a half hour...and i cant find it....i look around more, and finally walk into the lead priest....i ask him if he has seen my book...he gets real angry looking and kinda hovers above me, and say that he has thrown it away!...i was flabergasted...i asked him why and he said because it was a tool of the devil...i was doubly flabergasted....i said he didnt have the right and he said he did....after some more words i left without my book and without any beliefs....and looking back on it now i left the catholic church for good....:rolleyes:

r

• LOL! 1

my uncle was big into d&d when i was a kid and i used to play with him all the time. i enjoyed it cos he had the most badass imagination and made up the most long and complicated games. we would be playing it for days on end. he'd have absolutely huge maps drawn out, and badass missions to do. it rocked. he also used to write his own computer games and stuff so he was fun as fuck to hang out with.

Wow I did a search to find out about the whole D&D equates to death for our children theory. I did not remember how big of a deal that was.

Past attacks by some conservative Christian ministries

"Many people holding a wide variety of religious beliefs enjoy roleplaying games, and there's even a society of Christian roleplayers on the web, as well as some Christian RPGs." 30 RPGs have been ignored by liberal, mainline and by most conservative Christian ministries. However, starting in the late 1970's, these games came under severe attack by a few Fundamentalist and other Evangelical Christian individuals and groups who alleged that they contain "occult" content and inspire people to suicide or criminal activity.

After the death by suicide of Irving "Bink" Pulling in 1982-JUN, his mother, Patricia Pulling, organized B.A.D.D. (Bothered about Dungeons and Dragons). Bink had been depressed after he was unable to find a manager to handle his campaign for election to school council. He was apparently an emotionally disturbed student who admired Adolf Hitler. Unfortunately, his mother kept a loaded gun in the house that he was able to access; he used it to commit suicide. Patricia became convinced that the death had been triggered by her son's involvement with Dungeons and Dragons; she believed that his teacher had placed a curse on Bink during a game. She brought a lawsuit against the teacher and school. It was thrown out of court. She then organized B.A.D.D. and started to speak out against RPGs.

Initial charges against RPGs were based on allegations of players casting hexes or evil spells on teachers and parents. By the mid 1980s, the emphasis switched to the potential of D&G and similar games to induce players to commit suicide. 32,35

Michael A. Stackpole has investigated Ms. Pulling and B.A.D.D. and written an extensive report. It is not a pretty story. 25

In 1985-JAN, B.A.D.D. joined up with another one-person organization, the National Coalition on Television Violence and issued a "Press Release from Washington." NCTV chairperson Dr. Thomas Radedki, a psychiatrist at the University of Illinois School of Medicine, said "The evidence in these [suicide] cases is really quite impressive. There is no doubt in my mind that the game Dungeons and Dragons is causing young men to kill themselves and others. The game is one of non-stop combat and violence. Although I am sure that the people at TSR mean no harm, that is exactly what their games are causing. Based on player interviews and game materials, it is clear to me that this game is desensitizing players to violence, and, causing an increased tendency to violent behavior." B.A.D.D. and NCTV "asked the U. S. Trade Commission to require that warnings be placed on the covers of all D&D books, stating that the game has caused a number of suicides and murders; and to require that CBS, or others, warn viewers and request them to get the message of the Surgeon General on entertainment violence." The Federal Trade Commission sent the petition to the Consumer Products Safety Commission. The latter decided that D&D was not a danger to the U.S. public.

A third group actively opposing gaming is the Cult Crime Action Network (CCAN). As described elsewhere at this site, the word "cult" is often used as a general-purpose religious "snarl" word to refer to some activity (religious or otherwise) that is not approved of. CCAN accused RPGs of luring young people into the occult.

During the late 1980s, the emphasis changed again. Fears were raised that RPGs caused the players to commit murder. As with the concerns over spells and suicide, factual data was scarce. About 1990, still another switch occurred. This time, RPGs were linked to Multiple Personality Disorder (aka Dissociative Identity Disorder) and Satanic Ritual Abuse. 32

By the early 1990's, the furor had largely died down. The games are still attacked periodically on a small number of Fundamentalist or other Evangelical Christian TV programs and ministries. For example, the Christian Life Ministries has said that Dungeons and Dragons contains many references to cannibalism and sadism. Such topics are rarely discussed in fantasy role-playing games. When they are mentioned, they are not promoted but are shown in a bad light.

In 1996-JUN, fantasy role-playing game industry in Italy came under attack. As in the earlier attacks in North America, games have been accused of causing teen suicide, and distorting minds. They falsely claim that RPG players usually impersonate killers or death-row inmates. The "Stop the Nonsense" campaign was mounted to respond to this threat. 26

In 1997, Dr. Thomas Radedki had pulled out of NCTV, after allegedly having lost his license to practice medicine. Also that year, Ms. Pulling died of cancer. B.A.D.D. is currently inactive.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...