who on here is straight edge??

SatansArtist

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

be offended? thats the problem with most straight edge kids, they need to fucking relax. YOUR NOT BETTER THAN ME JACK ASS. and im not talking to you, im talking to straight edge kids in general.

i was clean and sober for 6 years, then fell off for bit, and now im back on the preverbial wagon. i suppose i fit the definition, but i have never felt any urge to claim allegiance to any nonsense 'social club.' i have nothing in common with anyone that has to express their status to the world in such an ego shielding manner. no thanks. im american, but i dont draw USA on my hands. i'm pro-cuba, but i dont draw a communist star on my god damn forhead.... im also crabby though, so wht do i know..

Originally posted by seeking innocence

be offended? thats the problem with most straight edge kids, they need to fucking relax. YOUR NOT BETTER THAN ME JACK ASS. and im not talking to you, im talking to straight edge kids in general.

i was clean and sober for 6 years, then fell off for bit, and now im back on the preverbial wagon. i suppose i fit the definition, but i have never felt any urge to claim allegiance to any nonsense 'social club.' i have nothing in common with anyone that has to express their status to the world in such an ego shielding manner. no thanks. im american, but i dont draw USA on my hands. i'm pro-cuba, but i dont draw a communist star on my god damn forhead.... im also crabby though, so wht do i know..

i guess is see straight edge as more than a social club, it's about being proud of yourself and your ideals. straight edge get's a bad name from all these kids that are more about fitting in somewhere than actually believeing in the principals of straight edge. the worst part of it is that there are a ton of kids that get in and then get out so quick that it makes the real straight edge kids look like morons, "you'll all sell out sooner or later, just like that guy." anyway, i don't think it's about being better than anyone else because i'm not doing this for anyone else. the rest of the world doesn't even play into it. i guess the coment about being offended is what set you off, but think about it like this- if you were jewish and people made a bunch of jokes and negative comments about being jewish you'd be offened, right? well, it's not that different. if someone makes a joke about something you believe in you get offened, but you need to know when it's for real. like i said, it was really funny, so i'm not going to loose any sleep over it.

if you need a labelto be proud of yourself you need a kick in the balls. fuck all you uptight SxExEXeeexEXEx kids and all that bullshit. your morals and values mean nothing to me and your no better than me. so dont push that shit on my or anyone i know. same with you religion pushers. you have an independant mind....... use it.

I WEAR BIG X'S ON MY HAND< IM COOOOOOOL! No not really i just drink alot...whats a matter with alittle alcohol now and then, helps the body...cigs do too...well maybe not, but theyre good to smoke after you drink...but then of course if you give a drunk a beer, hes gonna want a cig....and if you give that cig. to the drunk, hes gonna want a nother beer...and if you give that beer to the drunk, hes gonna want another cig.....and if you give that cig. to the drunk, hes gonna want a nother beer...and if you give that beer to the drunk, hes gonna want another cig.....and if you give that cig. to the drunk, hes gonna want a nother beer...and if you give that beer to the drunk, hes gonna want another cig.....and if you give that cig. to the drunk, hes gonna want a nother beer...and if you give that beer to the drunk, hes gonna want another cig.....and if you give that cig. to the drunk, hes gonna want a nother beer...and if you give that beer to the drunk, hes gonna want another cig.....and if you give that cig. to the drunk, hes gonna want a nother beer...and if you give that beer to the drunk, hes gonna want another cig.....and if you give that cig. to the drunk, hes gonna want a nother beer...and if you give that beer to the drunk, hes gonna want another cig.....and if you give that cig. to the drunk, hes gonna want a nother beer...and if you give that beer to the drunk, hes gonna want another cig.....and if you give that cig. to the drunk, hes gonna want a nother beer...and if you give that beer to the drunk, hes gonna want another cig....well you get the picture....gotta love the repitition in life...any whoo..bye.

drink the blood: i understand what your saying, but there is a huge difference between being racist, and making jokes about being straight edge. being straight edge is something you choose for yourself, not something that is chosen for you. its no different than making jokes about people that ride rollerblades, drive souped up hondas or wear pink tights. they probably believe in what they're doing too, it probably is as big of a part of their life as sXe is to you.

basically, my whole shit is... do wht you want, but dont hide behind the shield of labels and say your being strong.

all this talk about choosing and chose...ha ha..

i wouldnt call myself straight edge, but thats cause about 3 years ago i sold out for maybe 2 months.....

havent had anything to drink or smoke or anything since then.....

and i havent had a bit of fun the past 3 years...

yea, right.

Guest got tha feva

If you aren't now you never were, right?

.... I never was for 4 years of my life.

I think it's a lot cooler when someone isn't straight edge, but has more hobbies than just getting fucked up. Moderation is key to everything... straight edge is kindof one extreme to the other. But I think it was a movement that really helped out the DIY hardcore/punk scene... from what I hear it used to be a bunch of booze hounds and heroin addicts, and now it's a bunch of art fags and kickboxers. I don't meet that many sxe kids anymore, but I think the whole Ian McKay philosophy kindof stuck in everyone's head. The part about having better things to do.. Drugs are great and all, but there's so much more our there, I just hate to see people get caught up in one thing for too long. Be it sXe or substances.

PRUDE

Ahh yes, the good old sXe issue... I feel like I'm in high school all over again.

For real though, this is right up my alley (for once). Livein g in upstate NY for 90% of my life (read: Syracuse/Buffalo "Straight edge capitals of the world") I was rocking the Xs for my entire young life. I never did that militant shit but I had my proverbial "pride" even though I was, literally, the only sXe kid in my school. Time passes and I learn that I understand myself and my body enough to partake of the drink without becoming a lush. That was 5 years ago and I think I'm a better person now than I was then. Straightedge is a great thing, especially when you're young... in fact, I think ALL kids should be. But, I also son't have a problem with having a good time with drinking (or even the low-key drugs)... but not until you get a grasp of your maturity and understand how the shit will affect you.

True till 21, son. Actually, I think I was 22.

Man, the good old days of Path of Resistance... ha.

Originally posted by Cosmo Kramer

if you need a labelto be proud of yourself you need a kick in the balls. fuck all you uptight SxExEXeeexEXEx kids and all that bullshit. your morals and values mean nothing to me and your no better than me. so dont push that shit on my or anyone i know. same with you religion pushers. you have an independant mind....... use it.

bro, you're a moron. i think everyone here, regardless of the whole straight edge issue, can argee this guy if a fucking idiot. who said straight edge kids were recruiting? do what you want, i couldn't care less. i've never met anyone that was serious about straight edge that "pushed" it on oter people.

drink the blood: i understand what your saying, but there is a huge difference between being racist, and making jokes about being straight edge. being straight edge is something you choose for yourself, not something that is chosen for you. its no different than making jokes about people that ride rollerblades, drive souped up hondas or wear pink tights. they probably believe in what they're doing too, it probably is as big of a part of their life as sXe is to you.

basically, my whole shit is... do wht you want, but dont hide behind the shield of labels and say your being strong.

look, i think you've got the wrong idea here. i'm not some 15 sitting in my room, listening to youth of today on my $1200 stereo i got from my mom and dad. i don't wear gorilla biscuits shirts to the mall, or ask people for cigarettes and then punch them. i'm a few weeks away from being 25. straight edge is a lot different for people over 21. it's not about beating people up or thinking you're better than anyone, [but i get the impression a lot of people here think they're better than sXe since they have the good sense to drink and smoke]. it seems like the problem everyone has with straight edge is that everyone involved takes shit too seriously, but look at how worked up some of you are getting. also, you make the choice to have religion in your life, my point was that a practicing Jew is like being straight edge in the sense that you're the minority. as for hiding behind labels, whatever, it's no different than calling yourself a writer or a democrat or a muscician.

if it's what you're into then that's an easy way to identify yourself. i never said straight edge was cool, or better than everything else, or anything but "straight edge". that's all. take it or leave it, no one's forcing, or even asking any of you to be interested. the only question was "who on here is straight edge?"

SatansArtist, thanks for bringing up this topic, it looks like we're making a lot of friends.

"no different than making jokes about people that ride rollerblades, drive souped up hondas or wear pink tights. they probably believe in what they're doing too, it probably is as big of a part of their life as sXe is to you. "

seeking why dont you just stop making fun of me and my rollerblading crew!!!!!

Questions for the Sxe people.........

Alright i've never partaken in drugs or alcohol, but i never considered the SxE thing until i started listening and going to hardcore shows.

I never really payed attention to the Sxe movement till now, so........

Questions:

1. yeah , what are the guidelines to being straight edge: No drugs, no alcohol, no sex?.....what bout prescription drugs? Medicine?

2. Do those hate edge people really do stupid shit like that ( ask for a cigarette then punch you,) i 've never physically encountered with one of them. just seen a bunch of those dudes hanging out during shows.

well thats it peace.

I've got the Straight Edge.

It's not a matter of being better than you or anyone. I only have two friends that are also Straight Edge. It's simply a choice that I made, to label myself, when I was in 8th grade. I'm out of High School now and still hold true to the Edge. It's not a matter of being in a "social club" or to get some scene points, it's just part of me and who I am.

Word.

drink the blood, i wasnt at all trying to say that you were that way at all. but you cant deny that the majority of straight edge kids need the label to stay sober. they need to scream about it, in order to belong and to not cave in. not everyone is this way of course. i have some very good friends who chose not to drink or do drugs, but also feel no desire to make it the crux of their existence.

my basic stance on straight edge is this: if NOT doing something is that important to you, perhaps you need something a little more exciting TO DO.

people being clean is a great thing, but people thinking their path of living is for everyone, is close minded.

and again, im not making acusations against you, im just speaking in general, of the experiences ive had with straight edge kids in the past. many of which were my friends.

"...you cant deny that the majority of straight edge kids need the label to stay sober. they need to scream about it, in order to belong and to not cave in."

well, i don't think that's %100 true. there are a lot of kids who claim straight edge and they're on the brink of selling out all the time. these people aren't straight edge, [this is the key to our difference of opinion]. if you're straight edge then it's not an effort thing, you're just a person that doesn't want anything to do with that stuff. if you spend your time consciously being straight edge and fighting the urge to drink and smoke and do drugs and get on every girl you can, you're NOT straight edge. if it's a constant struggle, straight edge isn't for you. i hate it when i hear kids say they've "stayed" straight edge for _ years. if you don't want to be straight edge, fuck it, no one said you had to. the real ones will be here years after all the screaming is over. those kids that have to fight the urge will always sell out, because they're just not dedicated. it's not what they really want in life if it's a struggle, forget it. i honestly don't think about "straight edge" durring my eveyday life because it's not an issue untill some one asks why i won't have a drink with them or hit a joint, and the truth is 9 times out of 10 i just tell them i'll pass, i don't make an issue out of it. you can be proud of what you believe in with out pushing it in people's faces or making a big deal. do i think i'm better than everyone else? i don't really care. i just know that straight edge is right for me, that's it.

"my basic stance on straight edge is this: if NOT doing something is that important to you, perhaps you need something a little more exciting TO DO."

as for needing something better to do, i don't know anyone who spends their saturday afternoon, "being straight edge." it doesn't work like that. it's like being short or tall or having blonde hair. it's not an activity, it's a part of your life. i have plenty to do. i take pictures, i have a job, i put up wheatpastes, my days are full. in fact, my days are way too full to spend time drinking, [unless it's root beer or blood].

"people being clean is a great thing, but people thinking their path of living is for everyone, is close minded".

we're totally agreed on this one. like i said, i don't know anyone who honestly wants this. as far as i'm concerned, people shouldn't do ANYTHING they don't want to. if someone is interested in straight edge, they'll find out what they need to know. straight edge kids aren't mormons for christ's sake! i personally have better shit to do then hunt down people and beg them to be straight edge.

Archived