who here is bilingual?

DETO

any one here speak more than one language? i personally am Hispanic, but don't speak spanish, i understand alot of it. Mainly because my grandparents speak in mostly spanish to me, but i always respond to them in english. I can speak basic spanish, but not very well. A friend of mine who just got his masters in psychology, told me that since i am hispanic it would be in my best interest to take some spanish classes and learn to speak it. It would be benificial to me. So again, anyone on 12oz speak more than one language?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest imported_Europe

I am.

Im a master of both english and danish

Jeg mestrer både engelsk og dansk

Took french and spanish classes too, Im pissed that I didnt get anything out of them.

Originally posted by Bellbeefer

if someone was to talk to me in spanish...i could understand everything they said....but i could only respond in spanglish.......

and , that pink on gray is kinda nice.:o

THANK YOU! and exacally on the spanglish tip.

i have always wanted to learn Italian and French...</span>:o

Im trilingual as well, nice to hear there are other hispandex on here as well, It does give you an advantage in the job market, especially since the latino population is an ever exploding one, (leave your border crosser comments to yourselves) and it's the number one money making market. I speak fluent spanish, english, and a bit of portugese, you can get so many advantages and jobs being bilingual, such as working in a courthouse as a translator, as most clerks around this area speak spanish since there was a big need for it, govt. jobs love it if you are, and of coarse doing semi-legal work down in central and south america looking for narco's is also a bilingual job.

i learnt some italian in the 7th grade, but cant remember any of it.

also learnt french in the 6th and 8th grade.

Bon Jour

Come On Tu Ta Pelle

Sava Bein

Un Deu Twoi Quatra

septembre

goes something like that, the spelling wont be right

i wish.

my grandfather was mexican but he died b4 i met him, so no spanish there. took some classes but no retention.

my grandmother is german but i never learned it from her.

i took 8yrs of french, but haven't heard it recently so i've forgotten most of it.

i lived with a brazilian family for half a year that didn't speak engish and dated one for 2+yrs so i can understand it and i know a wealth of bad words, but that's it.

i'm still trying to figure out how to move to another country for a while to really learn a language. it would be so great.

Originally posted by SteveAustin

.......and sign language. I remember a little of them all. I suppose if I started back up again...

did u ever get one of those cards with the alphabet in sign language, my friends and i thought it was sooooo cool to spell things out in sign when we were younger. shhhh. so no one would know what we were talking about.

^^I never got one of those cards. I learned the alphabet pretty quickly because one of my friends in college was deaf...

Needless to say we all thought we were pretty cool. We'd sign in front of other people because we knew they didn't understand. We would always sign...when we saw a hot girl. I distinctly remember the first time I got busted signing. The girl signed back thank you...along with her own critique of me.

Is it true in Europe your required to take 2 languages in grammar school? your mind soaks up things like language best when your young.

I'm Polish and Ukrainian but only know english.

My dad came to the US when he was 4 and speaks Polish fluently but never taught me.

My mom's side of the fam has been in Chicago since the early 1900's, so she just knows English.

I took Spanish in high school and remember a slight bit. I also remember a bit of portuguese since my ex of 4 yrs came here with his family when he was 7 from Brazil.

I LOVE hispanic girls. I'm dating this one now, and we got into a conversation the other night about her mentally challanged little brother who has learned to sign. No one else in her family has taken the time to learn sign language to comunicate with him. I told her I thought that was fucked up, and ased why. She responded by saying "I dont think my mother can learn it because she only speaks spanish and sign language is in english." She didn't understand why this made me laugh so hard. In trying to explain, she takes her index finger and does something across her forehead (I dont know sign) and tells me that it means "black". "So you mean it doesn't mean "negro?"

She turned red, gave me a dumb look and said "Oh...whatever"