Who hates group shows?

I know its tough for some young artists to get a piece of art in a gallery period. But does every show have to involve the same 20 artists we have all seen a million times.

Is it worth it to sit around for years till you get a solo exhibit? I would hope galleries would seem to see that individuals can create a larger impact within a space. If i want to see a collection of art i can go to a musuem.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

well, considering that the thread was one dissing group art shows, i dont think i'm really raining on any parades here.

i just dont care much for the bullshit world of art shows. its never ever about art, its about who you know. i dont do art to know peole, or to fit in, i do it because i don't.

• 2 months later...

I don't want to sound hoity-toity here but I very much agree with Seeking on this one. I've done my fair share of shows... group and solo. I'm not going to lie to you and say they all sucked and people suck and fuck art shows. I will tell you that it is indeed a show, but not about the art. Especially, especially shows in regards to writers or artists who have either come from writing or are inspired by writing. These shows attract the most retarded people on the planet. I'd rather have someone pull all the hairs out of my head one by one then have to deal with one minute in a room with these people ever again.

Don't get me wrong, having your work hanging in a gallery ( a shit one or a reputable one ) is a good feeling. In a sense it's telling you that you've moved someone with your work enough for them to want you to share with everyone. That's a good feeling. If you get the chance, take it. On the flip side of that, if your work doesn't sell... get any attention... get talked about or have people asking for more information about you, you're done. I hope you had fun in that show because it's the last one you'll do for a while. Of course, this is at the higher level. Not the the high level... but higher than your average group show.

Santana makes a good point too. A "nobody" who does great work but no one has heard of him/her can participate in a group show with more established artists and garner some attention that way. That is certainly what helped me along the way. I've done almost fifty group shows but only nine solo shows... and other than the first solo show, I sell 90% of my work after the show comes down. I don't know what that's saying other than maybe people had time to think about it or they didn't want to pay the gallery cut... I have no idea. I'm just stating a fact. I've heard the same from other established artists, though they have representation so someone is still getting a cut.

I think the first question I would ask yourself is why is it so important for you to be showing your work in a gallery? Is that why you want to create artwork? Is your ambition to live off your artwork? Do you want to be the next Koons where you have an army of interns doing all your work for you while you sit back and watch your sculptures sell at Sotheby's for five million? What's your goal?

I ask because I wanted to live off my art. So much so that I created artwork entirely for art shows. But what got me the art shows to begin with was the art I created because it was something in me that had to come out. Then I get all these shows and next thing I know I'm doing the same regurgitated bullshit because it's easy and fits within the time frame I have. Eventually I had to step back and say... "where's the soul?". I became a robot creating work for the masses who didn't care anyway. So I quit. I don't do shows. That's dramatic and a bit corny but it's truth. It's my "this is what happened to me." preach. So ask yourself what your goals are and if money is at the top or near the top... stay out of the galleries.

My two cents...

your my favorite living artist.

well, no, horkey is.

but i respect your integrity more than his, so it's a tie.

im not sure if it's because you validate the things i think, and are as hardcore about things as i am, but also have the backing and respect to speak it, or if it's something less self centered. but either way, good post.

god, i feel like im being such a dick rider lately. ha.

• 1 year later...
I don't want to sound hoity-toity here but I very much agree with Seeking on this one. I've done my fair share of shows... group and solo. I'm not going to lie to you and say they all sucked and people suck and fuck art shows. I will tell you that it is indeed a show, but not about the art. Especially, especially shows in regards to writers or artists who have either come from writing or are inspired by writing. These shows attract the most retarded people on the planet. I'd rather have someone pull all the hairs out of my head one by one then have to deal with one minute in a room with these people ever again.

Don't get me wrong, having your work hanging in a gallery ( a shit one or a reputable one ) is a good feeling. In a sense it's telling you that you've moved someone with your work enough for them to want you to share with everyone. That's a good feeling. If you get the chance, take it. On the flip side of that, if your work doesn't sell... get any attention... get talked about or have people asking for more information about you, you're done. I hope you had fun in that show because it's the last one you'll do for a while. Of course, this is at the higher level. Not the the high level... but higher than your average group show.

Santana makes a good point too. A "nobody" who does great work but no one has heard of him/her can participate in a group show with more established artists and garner some attention that way. That is certainly what helped me along the way. I've done almost fifty group shows but only nine solo shows... and other than the first solo show, I sell 90% of my work after the show comes down. I don't know what that's saying other than maybe people had time to think about it or they didn't want to pay the gallery cut... I have no idea. I'm just stating a fact. I've heard the same from other established artists, though they have representation so someone is still getting a cut.

I think the first question I would ask yourself is why is it so important for you to be showing your work in a gallery? Is that why you want to create artwork? Is your ambition to live off your artwork? Do you want to be the next Koons where you have an army of interns doing all your work for you while you sit back and watch your sculptures sell at Sotheby's for five million? What's your goal?

I ask because I wanted to live off my art. So much so that I created artwork entirely for art shows. But what got me the art shows to begin with was the art I created because it was something in me that had to come out. Then I get all these shows and next thing I know I'm doing the same regurgitated bullshit because it's easy and fits within the time frame I have. Eventually I had to step back and say... "where's the soul?". I became a robot creating work for the masses who didn't care anyway. So I quit. I don't do shows. That's dramatic and a bit corny but it's truth. It's my "this is what happened to me." preach. So ask yourself what your goals are and if money is at the top or near the top... stay out of the galleries.

My two cents...

So I gained a better understanding to all of this with Jokers reply. Its corrected my views a bit. I dont think my area has the potential for me to be able to live off my art. There isnt much of an art scene where I live. My home isnt Cali or New York where the art shows flow like water. I know its an excuse but I guess I just havent reached that stage. I do this shit for me, if anyone wants to be an on looker than fine.

I agree with you talking about the kinda of people it brings to shows. If I can catch a show I usually dont even stay long because I cant stand the conversations. Bunch of fake snobish hipster weird fucks, not to mention the punks.

Besides solo shows and multiple groups shows Ive always like when 2 artists fill the room. Both have their own work and also mixed work they did together. Kinda reminds me of a few Bask and Tes shows Ive caught. Dont know how everyone fells about those guys but Ive personally always like both their works.

• 1 year later...

joker: you have some great points. I too got stuck in the mode of pumping out art just for shows, and at the end of the day not much of my stuff sells (there just isnt much of a market for art right now in my opinion). it really makes you question why you are creating art at times, but if you really believe in what you are doing...i guess you have to keep trying...i dunno

• 2 weeks later...

Of course you have to keep trying. Actually, I wouldn't even say you have to keep trying so much as I would say you have to keep progressing as an artist. The need to progress and move your art, which moves you and moves people who love what you do, is mandatory.

I really think my issue was that I began creating work on wood, canvas and pressboard... instead of walls and freights... because there were things I wanted to try that didn't make sense on a wall or freight. so I began working things out on wood, canvas and pressboard. Eventually people said I should show some of these things in a gallery and I thought "Hey... what a great way to show my work to people who wouldn't normally care or see Graffiti art". Which is was, and is. But I eventually took on too much and just let myself get in over my head. Which put me in the position of just churning out the same shit month after month. And while folks still liked it... I absolutely hated it. So I stepped back and have been trying to find that spark ever since.

I've done a few pieces here and there for a show or two... or five, but the pieces have been nothing new. With the exception of one. I'm currently in the search for studio space and hope to get back into producing more work with a ton of new ideas and drawings at my disposal. Hopefully the time away will have been a good move... and not put me on the "Joker who?" list.