white house admits lying on iraq nuclear claims

Guest BROWNer

Guest BROWNer

Bush wrong on Iraqi nuclear weapons

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/07/09/bush_claim030709

WASHINGTON - Washington has admitted that a claim President George Bush made in January about Iraq's weapons programs was wrong.

In his state of the union message, Bush tried to convince Americans and the rest of the world that Saddam Hussein's regime was a threat because he was developing a nuclear weapons program.

"The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa," Bush said in January.

That statement was based on correspondence between officials in Iraq and Niger that are now widely accepted as forgeries.

An official with the CIA was sent to Niger to investigate whether Iraq tried to buy uranium from the country.

The official reported back that it was highly doubtful such a transaction ever took place.

The official said the office of U.S. Vice-President Dick Cheney would have received that report.

The claim made it into the state of the union address anyway, and many in Washington are asking how that could have happened.

"This is a very important admission. It's a recognition that we were provided with faulty information. And I think it's all the more reason why a full investigation of all the facts surrounding this situation be undertaken," said Tom Daschle, Democratic leader in the Senate.

The U.S. National Security Council said the Bush administration didn't know until February that the intelligence behind the uranium claim was false.

Members of Bush's Republican party downplayed the fact that it took five months for the White House to admit the claim was false, and maintained the decision to go to war in Iraq was morally right. ...even though we lied and scared the shit out of everyone, it was still..'morally right'. that's a whopper!

realaudio

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

shit

of course most intelligent people knew this was the case..and while i am happy to see the lie exposed, i doubt that it will change many people's opinions of bush...those that love him will continue to support him..

disgusting.

i'm puking all the way to the voting booth

Guest willy.wonka

america....sheez

if they were to just play it smart, like they always have, people would still worship them....where has satan gone to?

...yeah now the government is saying the wmd were taken right before the US got there and are being hidden with the help of other countries and terrorist's. they even said they're going into Iran. Iran and Iraq hate each other. good ol' US media does it again.

from dailykos.com

What's really fun about the administration's sudden troubles is that it puts them in classic Catch-22. They can either 1) claim lied about its WMD claims, or 2) claim it was too incompetent to properly assess the intelligence. LIES or INCOMPETENCE. I'm down with either option. There's no way the administration can win unless the press loses interest and moves on to the latest JLo/Ben news.

However, that's difficult to do when REAL former US intelligence officials continue to expose the administration's hostility toward the truth:

A former US intelligence official who served under the Bush administration in the build-up to the Iraq war accused the White House yesterday of lying about the threat posed by Saddam Hussein.

The claims came as the Bush administration was fighting to shore up its credibility among a series of anonymous government leaks over its distortion of US intelligence to manufacture a case against Saddam.

This was the first time an administration official has put his name to specific claims. The whistleblower, Gregory Thielmann, served as a director in the state department's bureau of intelligence until his retirement in September, and had access to the classified reports which formed the basis for the US case against Saddam, spelled out by President Bush and his aides.

Mr Thielmannn said yesterday: "I believe the Bush administration did not provide an accurate picture to the American people of the military threat posed by Iraq."

And the more Bush and Comical Ari try to pin the failures on the intelligence agencies (who truly have been the "good guys" in all of this), the more those agencies will leak the truth.

Iraq continues to fester. Over a thousands of our servicemembers wounded, hundreds dead. Billions wasted. Boy. If Bush wants to run on this in 2004, he's more than welcome.

Guest BROWNer

Re: from dailykos.com

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob

And the more Bush and Comical Ari try to pin the failures on the intelligence agencies (who truly have been the "good guys" in all of this), the more those agencies will leak the truth.

exactly, they have been setting up the intel apparatus to be the fall guys..

rumsfeld is now pulling some bullshit rhetoric about how

they had no 'new' information on iraq's weapons(?!?!) and that the ones

that existed(?!?!?) were seen in a whole new light after 9/11(the ultimate

fall guy if the intel shit doesn't convince). yet another example of the bush team

USING and manipulating that terrible day for their own gain.

Guest BROWNer

its so classy..

they admit they lied,

meanwhile only guy that helped

them out is getting wrecked politically, so

why not add insult to injury?

classy shit.

Guest KING BLING

Help me out here....has anyone ever seen evidence that Osama helped mastermind the 9/11 thing? Evidence could have been provided and I missed it, if so help me out - but I remember Bush always holding back and I dont remember hearing anything more after we attacked Afghanistan....

Did anyone catch the Diane Reem Show(not sure on spelling there) or Justice Talking today? There were some good debates going over some aspects of information, and the classification of it. They had some goof supporting the administration's standpoint, who stumbled over every answer he had for any question he aimed at him.

I remember hearing or reading something about filler words like "uh" and "um". We use them to fill in gaps while we are speaking, and it usually indicates that the speaker is unsure of either what he is saying, or how to word the idea convincingly. The aforementioned jackass spent almost all his airtime using them.

The "new light since 911" spin is about as transparent as the claim that Bush 2 won the election fair and square.

Originally posted by mr_president

:eek:

this just reported on channel 4 news....

"bush is a black man"

:eek:

Be careful with that shit. In a few weeks 80% of the population will back that up.

ahh the truth comes out finally. I had suspected it all along. I specifically remember the skepticism I felt when I heard that Great Britain was providing the information. Britain is notoriously verbose. Have you ever watched the house of commons? It's like two rival gangs meeting in a park. The leaders go at it talking shit to each other and their crews back them up yelling "Yeah!" and shit like that. It's kinda funny.

Huh, so intelligence are the good guys. That would explain why I always got along so well with the Military Intelligence people since I've been in the Army. Heh, like all of them play dungeons and dragons! What a bunch of nerds. HAHAHAHA!

Right now, CBS News' website is running the following as their top story!!

BUSH KNEW IRAQ INFO WAS FALSE

(CBS) Senior administration officials tell CBS News the President’s mistaken claim that Iraq tried to buy uranium from Africa was included in his State of the Union address -- despite objections from the CIA.

Before the speech was delivered, the portions dealing with Iraq’s weapons of mass destruction were checked with the CIA for accuracy, reports CBS News National Security Correspondent David Martin.

CIA officials warned members of the President’s National Security Council staff the intelligence was not good enough to make the flat statement Iraq tried to buy uranium from Africa.

The White House officials responded that a paper issued by the British government contained the unequivocal assertion: “Iraq has ... sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa.” As long as the statement was attributed to British Intelligence, the White House officials argued, it would be factually accurate. The CIA officials dropped their objections and that’s how it was delivered.

“The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa,” Mr. Bush said.

The statement was technically correct, since it accurately reflected the British paper. But the bottom line is the White House knowingly included in a presidential address information its own CIA had explicitly warned might not be true.

Today at a press conference during the President’s trip to Africa, Secretary of State Colin Powell portrayed it as an honest mistake.

“There was no effort or attempt on the part of the president or anyone else in the administration to mislead or to deceive the American people,” said Powell.

But eight days after the State of the Union, when Powell addressed the U.N., he deliberately left out any reference to Iraqi attempts to buy uranium from Africa.

“I didn’t use the uranium at that point because I didn’t think that was sufficiently strong as evidence to present before the world,” Powell said.

That is exactly what CIA officials told the White House before the State of the Union. The top CIA official, Director George Tenet, was not involved in those discussions and apparently never warned the President he was on thin ice.

Secretary Powell said today he read the State of the Union speech before it was delivered and understood it had been seen and cleared by the intelligence community. But intelligence officials say the director of the CIA never saw the final draft.

who gives a shit? fuck saddam...george bush could rape a pregnant dog, kill it, and feed it to a blind asian on espn and the dude is cooler than hussein. why is it that you give a group of people enough freedom and they want to turn you inside out?

Archived