White cops caught on video beating handcuffed black youth.

daus

Cop caught on video beating handcuffed youth.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/777480.asp?pne=msntv

FOUR SEPARATE INVESTIGATIONS were under way into the weekend arrest, caught on video by a vacationing Sacramento man. The FBI on Tuesday opened an investigation, adding its probe to ones already under way by the Inglewood Police Department, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department and the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.

“We’ve asked the FBI to open an investigation to look into possible civil rights violations, and my understanding is that the case has been opened,” said Thom Mrozek, spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles.

Mrozek said the FBI had not drawn any conclusions but would try to determine if officers had committed federal offenses because they were acting under “color of authority.”

Dorn, a former prosecutor and judge, called on prosecutors to charge Morse with at least four felonies and said he had no patience for investigations and did not care what happened before the tape started rolling.

“I’m not concerned at this point what happened before the video was turned on,” Dorn said. “In my mind, I can’t think of anything that this teenager could have done that would justify the conduct that I observed on the video.”

PLAY VIDEO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“When this officer picked this young man up and slammed him face-down into the hood of that car, in my opinion, (that was) number one, felony assault,” Dorn said. “Number two, assault with a deadly weapon.... Number three, battery. Four, child abuse. And I’m sure if I looked there are other crimes.”

Another aleged beating victim comes forward

...I agree socrates... my fault for using the cut and paste technique...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest socrates

I've seen the video a number of times and have this to say: This was in no way a justfiable use of force, but to say it was all the white cops fault, is wrong. If you look at the video only after the punch doea the latino officer attempt to stop the white officer and the african-american officer just stands around watching from 2 feet away. To bring race into it makes it just makes it worse, why not just say "Police officer beats young man", or something to that effect. I hate it when people think that all white people hate minorities, it makes you look and sound as bad as the guys in bed sheets.

that cop fucked up, WAY fucked up... but, what can you do, of coure the police force breeds a atmosphere of violence but unless they can prove a history of racial intolerance on this officer's part then this is just a case of unneccesary force.

Brutal? YES

Racial? Tough to say...

Will it change anything? Doubtful...

Solution? Write the guy a big ass check and prosecute the cop...

And, most cops don't have any priors, so this will result in 'time served' and probation most likey, perhaps some court ordered restitution but, the windfall will come from the civil lawsuit against the department so, ALL OF YOU, realize that that cop is punching a guaranteed future millionaire, so, don't cry too much... still, that cop is a dick and I hope he serves time

Guest willy.wonka

i like the way they call the guy "suspect".. he's the age of 16.

i can imagine a cop pushing a teen around and the teen doing something about it..i dont see getting pulled over and some kid with his dad automatically beating some cop.

the definition of the word 'suspect' places no qualifications on age... if the cops 'suspect' you of wrong doing, no matter your age, you are, by definition, a 'suspect'... and none of that speaks to the civil rights abuse...

I don't understand that second sentence... 'automatically'?

Guest willy.wonka

smart

well i see suspect..the media is being very careful with this one...there has been beatings caught on camera before..kinda like callin him suspect makes it not personal, which is good.its just the kid was 16.the media isnt really making that clear.they talk about him like he's an adult already.

what i meant to say in the second sentence, is that i dont see some kid picking a physical fight with a cop on some routien ?sp? stop...it just doesnt make sence..i see some cop getting puchy with some 16 yr old then that 16 year old feeling like a badass fights back..

racial or not..you dont beat the fuck out of a 16 year old kid who is defenseless...you just dont..and to be like..oh there was a black cop there...imagine yourself being around a bunch of white cops..you're a black cop...trying to keep a job..are you goin to tell them to stop?i doubt it.who cares if it's racial or not...its a fucking idiot with a lot of anger taking it out on a kid..bottom line..i say they let the kid give him equal damage if not more....tie the mother fucker up and let the kids father fuck up the cop for a while....people disgust me.

well, it seems like in the reports I've seen they've referred to him as a 'black youth'... now, the youth part tells me he's a minor, I never knew he was actually 16, but the black part seems irrelevant and sensational... and, to the second sentence thing, right on, but people do crazy shit... I'm sure they are waiting on toxicology test results and stuff... also, who's to say this kid didn't just get way out of hand (before the handcuffs part) with his reaction... I mean, yeah, it was wrong for the cop to hit a restrained suspect, but that doesn't mean he wasn't provoked... Cops are just supposed SUPPOSED to have more restraint than your average detainee...

The thing is, anything that occured before the 'punch' MAY be considered a mitigating factor in the criminal case, however, the suspect was CLEARLY restrained, so, while that may save the cop in criminal court, it won't help at all in civil court. Of course, the cop will be named in conjunction with the PD in the civil suit, and, while the city will be easily able to absorb the settlement and pay in full, I'm sure this cop will be writing checks every month for the rest of his life...

watch the footage again, this time, ignore the cop/black kid relationship, instead, watch one man become exceedingly wealthy while another ruins his own future

Originally posted by willy.wonka

the cop was suspended...."not fired"

suspended "with pay" - do you believe that shit!?

And regardless of what happened before they cuffed him - the kid was beaten after he was cuffed. That right there should be enough to put they guy away, which probably won't happen knowing how it all works. They would have fully gotten away with it if it weren't on video.

why the hell does race play a part in everything

is it because no one will give a fuck about the story if it isnt some racial charged bullshit that people can get riled up over? yeah the cop was in the wrong, but hey people have bad days, people snap sometimes. the cop should get whats coming to him be it suspension, loss of pay, loss of job or whatever it may be. but

this kind of stuff happens everyday im thinking. but its not publicized (sp?) because it wasnt videotaped or it wasnt an act of 'racial' violence

Originally posted by WhenOne

why the hell does race play a part in everything

is it because no one will give a fuck about the story if it isnt some racial charged bullshit that people can get riled up over? yeah the cop was in the wrong, but hey people have bad days, people snap sometimes. the cop should get whats coming to him be it suspension, loss of pay, loss of job or whatever it may be. but

this kind of stuff happens everyday im thinking. but its not publicized (sp?) because it wasnt videotaped or it wasnt an act of 'racial' violence

You're right - it happens all the time. At least ten people I know have personal stories of police brutality. If it's not on tape, you don't have a case. It's the good ol' boy system. It's wrong all the time. But the fact that a white cop beat up a black kid in a predominantly black neighborhood fuels the fire, and makes it look like the cop was looking for a chance to abuse his authority.

Originally posted by I Luv Roo

But the fact that a white cop beat up a black kid in a predominantly black neighborhood fuels the fire, and makes it look like the cop was looking for a chance to abuse his authority.

I disagree about how things look on the surface, seems like personal bias has entered that characterization. I tend to think the appearance of his name on a report of ecessive force from a week or so earlier, in the same neighborhood, supports the idea that he was abusing his authority... but it still doesn't prove racial prejudice... the fact that it's a predominantly black neighborhood may make that even harder to prove...

from what i've seen and read i believe that the incident wasn't racially motivated. not saying it wasn't bad but it has nothing to do with race just a cop/cops acting like an idiot.

But you cant blame people for saying that it's racially motivated even though it isn't because if you lived in dudes neighborhood i think you'd jump at any chance to point out how corrupt the police behave. Cops can be assholes not all but alot, especially in the city. If this incident wasn't considered "racially motivated" it would have never made the news and cops would be getting away with this behavior in that neighborhood and nothing would be done about it.

Originally posted by I Luv Roo

well then there you go!

WHERE DO I GO? This proves nothing, the other case has yet to be fully investigated and, assuming the allegations are true, that still only equals a firing and a civil lawsuit. It totally fails to address the possible underlying issue of racism (individual, and perhaps institutional in the Inglewood PD)... Where we ALL need to go is into the investigative phase for a bit, then we'll enter the judicial phase and FINALLY with the punative phase... that's a year away at best...

this is ridiculous.... i love how the concept of the police is to serve and protect, yet in order to do that, they feel the need to kick the shit out of people. this is yet another example of the fine police brutality that is going on all over the country.

Guest SE4_2002

If it`s the truth and them cops did do all thats said, then yes they should be behind bars for fueling racial hatred which we really don`t need! But you don`t know the whole in`s and out`s i`ll guess we will see..

Anyway this is a good time to quote N.W.A "Fuck the police, fuck the police, Fuck em..

Archived