White Americas influence on the media.

Guest NEO DOOM

Guest NEO DOOM

A friend of my did a study on race in commerials. The results showed out of 612 t.v. ads, there were 12 African Americans, 6 Asians,4 Latin Americans and 1 middle Eastern. 23 non-whites!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Review of the movie Resident Evil

Starring: Milla Jovovich, Michelle Rodriguez, Eric Mabius, James Purefoy, Pasquale Aleardi, Stephen Billington

Director: Paul Anderson Screenwriter: Paul Anderson

DVD/Video Release Date: July 30, 2002

MPAA Rating: "We'd beat up a bunch of those filthy hackers for another glimpse of Milla Jovovich."

Rating Description: R: Strong sci-fi/horror violence, language, and brief sexuality/nudity (T&A!)

Genre: Horror, Science Fiction, Video Game

Running Time: 100 minutes

Resident Evil (RE) was a similar dish to Mortal Kombat, both had a little sugar, a little spice, and a lot of ham, all suspended in delicious action broth. To this recipe, RE added a spoonful of mystery, and sprinkled everything with noodles of apprehension. The first fifteen minutes alone will create several instances of seat-gripping, teeth-grinding, squinting, half turned away, squirming, as you wait for something... just... horrible.

Let's make like C&C Music Factory, and break it down:

Plot

While it may only be of interest to "diehard fans of the games", to which this film is a prequel, there are a few things to keep in mind:

A: Resident Evil has a lot of fans.

B: The plot is solid, with no gaping holes.

C: It's not Tomb Raider.

The writers have done some very sneaky things to keep you interested, and panicked.

First, some of the important things to remember are very clearly stated early on in the film, while others slowly edge their way around the scenery, waiting to leap out at you. Watch the film a second time, and you catch and understand so many great new things.

Secondly, the dialogue isn't the usual fare of Hollywood bile, spewed forth onto the page to play ringmaster to a circus of visual effects and celebrities.

Thirdly, and perhaps the most sinister thing they've done, they make all the characters likeable up to the point where they try to eat you, or suddenly do something very bad.

This is important, because identifying with all the characters helps the audience feel a sense of urgency as whole batches of nice, regular folks go AWOL, or fall to peices. One part that stands out in my mind, kills off better than one third of the protagonist party.

So, all in all, they've done a tremendous job with making the audience very aware that anyone could die at any time, conveying precisely the gut wrenching anticipation that something labeled "survival horror" really should enduce.

Visuals

The zombies were well made up, the explosions, and computer graphics were suitable, and everything exuded an appropriate level of "this was once normal, but now... it's EVIL".

The most important thing that you'll see in this movie, is what's implied. More often than not, you don't actually see the stuff that makes you go rubbery and sick.

All in all, other than an obviously computer generated super-boss, everything was very slick and scary.

Sound

The sound is so well done, you barely notice it's there. Unless you're meant to be intently listening to something, or for something, everything seems totally natural. Every gunshot, every breaking bone, and dragging fireaxe is lovingly crafted. Some things, when you see the movie a second or third time, will stick out in your mind as being overly dramatic, yet well inside the realms of the acceptible.

The music is creepy, and it's not just when you need to be nervous. They play the little spine-chilling bits whenever they can get away with it. It's definitely worth downloading or buying the soundtrack to hear the main theme. The music isn't the center of the movie's focus, and the audio engineers have kindly taken that to heart. It's like the slight change in temperature, around a door in winter. It's just a subtle reminder of what's in store outside.

All superbly mixed.

Summary

I wouldn't say that it's the best movie ever. I will say that it is pretty thrilling. The acting is good to excellent, the plot is straightforward and well-concieved, the characters are likeable, the ambient feeling is hair-raising, visual effects and costuming are well-done, and the sound is realistic and supportive of the mood.

This is a movie I liked very much in theaters, I definitely recommend a rental. Watch it with friends, during the day.

Guest uncle-boy
Originally posted by NEO DOOM

A friend of my did a study on race in commerials. The results showed out of 612 t.v. ads, there were 12 African Americans, 6 Asians,4 Latin Americans and 1 middle Eastern. 23 non-whites!

that's a blatent lie, everyone knows you dont have friends.

Archived