Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

where did your musical tastes derive from?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by fr8lover, Oct 12, 2001.

1. fr8lover

fr8lover Guest

i was sitting around thinking about how i got into the type of music i was listening to today...

first i hate to say it but i first heard music from mtv..since about 2nd or 3rd grade...im not that old, though..

i remember watching bet rap city with bdp, old 2pac, ice cube...when i was in elementary school...

saw (i dont know if any of you canadians remember these guys) neds atomic dustin have a buzz clip on mtv in elementary school...saw nevermind and come as you are videos premeire...i see why i liked rock music..

first tapes bought : cure "wish," sonic youth, "dirty," jeff beck "blow by blow" how many kids in elementary school were rockin the SY? haha

my best friend and i would report to eachother what we saw on MTV NEWS each day in 3rd grade...its the most vivid memory i have of that time...back when 3rd bass made the news and hammer was still livin larggeee...

i was a product of music of the early 90s..so sue me...i also had please hammer dont hurt em and kriss kross...dont worry about it...

2. seeking

seeking Dirty Dozen Crew

rhis is a good topic, unfortunitly im too out of it to answer tonight. tomorrow...

3. fr8lover

fr8lover Guest

haha as i write this im too out of it to write it...

soberness will prevail tomorrow and i want to hear some good responses...

4. tow up from tha flow up !

tow up from tha flow up ! Member

My parents were big Elvis Costello, Blondie, Devo, Sade, and other good late 70's/80's fans. My brother liked classical rock and metal. He bought a Downset cd from his friend and he didnt' like it so he gave it to me. It was my first cd so I wore the shit out of it. I met a girl through dance who found out I liked them and started taking me to local punk shows when I was about 12. There I discovered punk, ska, and some indie rock bands.. Then I discovered hardcore, which I could appreciate because it was angry but still wasn't metal (i hate metal).. Luckily I met some versitile kids within the hardcore scene who got me more into underground type hip hop. Around the same time I started going to a dance club where I met a couple good DJ's who got me into jungle and dnb. I don't know if I really have a musical path.. If I do, it's a versitile one. I'm exposed to a lot because of the kindof music I listen to, the kind of kids I meet, etc. I'm lucky I guess.

5. The Helacious Dr. Dazzle

The Helacious Dr. Dazzle Member

Man, my musical tastes have changed SO much over the years. But I still like slamming to some Europe, GNR, or Def Leppard. The 80's were cool.

I think my first CD I actually bought was the Beavis and Butthead compilation. It had Anthrax covering the Beasties "Looking Down the Barrell of a Gun". I was like 8 years old sporting a pretty stylin' mullet.

I've gone from listening to metal, to gangster rap, to electronica. Now, I don't have a favourite kind of music. If something is good, I'll listen to it. I'm the only person I know who can go from Jurassic 5 to Weezer to Massive Attack to Deftones to the Beatles to Radiohead to God Speed You Black Emperor to AFI to DELTRON 3030 in one half hour listening session.

I hate it when people ask me "what kind of music do you like?"

6. fr8lover

fr8lover Guest

7. I dont know...anyone that has an older brother or sister get really influenced when hes young.Not exactly influenced but its the music that floats around in the house.So when i was younger i listened to a lot of heavy metal and that kind of stuff(i think that the majority of kids born between 76-80 did)
    I now listen to alot of different types of music,but i can tell you one thing,that comes from my heavy metal childhood...I really miss solo guitars.
    Thats why i loved that stupid Daft Punk song!

8. --zeSto--

--zeSto-- Guest

Musical impressions are set really young.

I honestly didn't know the difference between Bob Marley, Raffi, Third World and the muppets. Shit was always being played.
    Once you find roots, things will always go deep.
    That's why organic textured music is big with me.
    But on the other side...
    always having midi gear and electro equipment in the house,
    has made ukGarage and 2stap a little more palatable.

anyhoo...

9. asteriskoner

asteriskoner Banned

watching headbangers ball when i was mad young,plus on top of that my cousin came me his entrie record collection in 86 (which i still have) of all straight up metal..thats how i got into metal,started skating and just found hardcore....

10. CATS

CATS Senior Member

I blame mommy leaving me with rockstar/rappabilly babbysitters. There really isnt anything I dont listen too. I love music. It can piss you off, make you violent, or it can be the flipside and have you all googly eyed in love and sad as shit. I blame groups like run dmc for sucking me into the early rap/breakbeat era. Groups like black flag and the decendents for making punk rock fun. Mom for playng Neil Diamond and Bozz Scaggs. You all know when you hear oldies you instantlt remember car rides to families houses and Shit. I blame sports for making me open minded and integrating all my musical tastes.

11. DIBS

DIBS Senior Member

obviously,i think my mom had alot to do with it,she was real into classic rock,she loved jethro tull,zepplin,bowie etc.so i think thats were it statred for me,second i think skateboarding really shaped me musicly and generaly.skateing brought about the punk scene to my eyes and then the hardcore scene,more of the staight edge variety,skateing also got me into as cheesey as it sounds,the alternative side of rock,or modern rock and rollers.skateboarding also forced me to keep an open mind about music.i think mtv really got me into alot of things musically.i probally heard my first hip hop on mtv,in elementary school i hung out with alot of kids whos brothers and sisters were burn outs,so i got my apreciation for metal from them.as i got older and more awear of my surroundings,i think growing up in the detroit area shaped me also,being my appreiciation for old soul/motown stuff,jazz,and all thinks electronic.and now im open to just about anything,i listen to a wide variety of music and enjoy the new music experience,ill give anything a go.thats why music is great,it can change your whole outlook.

12. SayOne

SayOne Guest

I'm ecleptic (sp). My origin into what music i like pretty much came from where i lived and my brother and sister. Being the late eighties i heard mad rap and shit , big hair bands, and freestyle. And my dad was always playin old shit like bobby womack, o.v. wright, barry white, heat wave, brothers johnson, stevie wonder.etc.. So that old disco and funk is the shit i love. Bout early 90's i heard lots of house from my brother so i subconsciencly began to like it , even though i said that shit is wack same with metal. So now im mostly hip hop and shit like that but i still listen to everything else..

The above probably make absolutly no sense to yall, but when i said it my mind it sounded good..

:confused: :confused:

13. Mr.LonelyHeart

Mr.LonelyHeart Member

a little kool moe dee..
    a little U2...
    and most significantly of all....

-my dad's 70's jazz collection

:mexican:

14. jades_blue

jades_blue Senior Member

My parents were really into motown oldies, almost anything on mtv, electro, funk, elvis, the beatles, doors, jimi etc. (They have this HUGE record collection - I will own them suckers one day) My uncle was really into early hip hop - run dmc, ll cool J, grandmaster flash, beastie boys, etc. Grandparents were into the mexican variety.. mariachi, salsa etc. The neighbors were into rock -- the heavy kind and the butt rock variety.

The first tape I owned was by sade. I loved it. The first cds I owned were a disco compilation & a techno compilation. My taste of music is wide.. I can appreciate all kinds. But of course.. I'm pretty particular when it comes to music these days because a lot of crap comes out. I need something with substance....

(I've been on a jazz kick lately - billie holiday, (bossa nova is where it's at!) astrud gilberto, stan getz, miles davis, john coltrane, etc etc)

15. taper

taper Elite Member

i listende to old ice cube remember the predator album?! shit now i listen to hip hop like big l co. flow and street punk. i really have respect for all types of music except garbage alternative music with the sme three cords and mindless rembling fuck that shit.;)