Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

where did hip hop start

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Pres, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Pres

Pres New Jack

Ok this seems to be something new in the commercial world of "Hip-Hop." It seems as though all the hot battles that went down in the past between the Bronx and Brooklyn about where it all started was all a clever cover-up by Jamaicans according to the new popularity of dance hall. As far as the Dance Hall community sees it Hip Hop was started in Jamaica then brought to the states, because the people that came over from Jamaica wanted to party the same way they did in Jamaica. For the people that believe that discredits everything Cool Herk, Africabambada, The Coldcrush, Whoodine, KRS-1, Emcee Sham, and all the other founders did for the culture. If I’m not mistaken KRS-1 was in his words “Was the first one to hit that Hip Hop Reggae on the nail.” I’m not trying to take from the fact that dance hall reggae is a big part of Hip Hop but Jamaica is not the origin of Hip Hop. That's like saying Puerto Rico is the birthplace of B-boy. Granted we Puerto Ricans did a lot for that element of Hip Hop but we don't claim to have started it. I'm putting this out there for those young heads that might not know any better then to listen to some radio DJ that has a sound that is a blend of the two and wants to try to have people buying more of his sound. Jamaicans have played a large part in this culture we are a part of from KRS to BIG, so there influence is there, just like the influence of Puerto Ricans, Haitians, Mexicans, Chinese, and Caucasians. I find that as the illest part of Hip Hop is the fact that we come together and make something from all cultures to come up with our own thing. As far as I can tell there is no creditable literature out there chronicling the history of Hip Hop, but there is a good video that touches on the four elements ("The Freshest Kid") it teaches a lot, not all of the history but a good starting point.

Thanks for you time
    Pres

2. iloveboxcars

iloveboxcars 12oz Royalty

I want to know the exact date that ragtime was invented. And who invented it.

3. TheoHuxtable

TheoHuxtable Senior Member

Well, ironically, you're contradicting yourself when you say that people who believe that it came from Jamaica discredits DJ Kool Herc, being that he's from Jamaica, and he's the sole the reason WHY the rumor got started that Hip Hop was "secretly" created in Jamaica.

Kool Herc did have influence from his homeland. But, with all due respect to DJ Kool Herc being officially labeled as the "one who started it all", he was still just a figurehead in a New York movement. It was a developing culture that ensued in the early 70's in the South Bronx and soon all over New York City. He helped get the engine started with the help of New York locals who rhymed over his music at block parties, which later became known as "emceeing".

He started it in New York and the movement that followed was majority African-Americans.

Hip Hop was created in America.

4. Pres

Pres New Jack

culture

I had an assumption that he was Jamaican, but I just didn't want to put that in there because, it was an assumption I had. I'll make note of that, thanks for clearing up Cool Herks' ethnic background. The point that you missed was that I was talking about his role in the "culture.” What I was referring to was the fact that there are people out there trying to make the rumor a fact now. I still feel like yes it does discredit him because if he had wanted to have that connection then there would have been Jamaican flags all over the place at his parties and the rumors of Hip Hop being "Secretly" created it in Jamaica would be facts; he would have stood up and said yes that was the case, but he didn't. It's like anything in the states; you had someone that liked to party in there home land come over here and completely change the music scene "World wide." Just look at the evolution of Salsa. It started in Cuba after the slaves brought their drums from Africa and the Cubans merged it with Chango to bring about Afro Cuban Jazz. That then evolves into the early workings of Salsa. That music then migrated with the slaves to Puerto Rico where the sound continued to evolve blending with the Borinquen music. Then further down the line in history after musicians where able to get educated in other forms of music they came back to the home land and added their new instruments and musical education to the ones of there past. The biggest and most groundbreaking changes (in my opinion) happening from the 1930's thru the 1970's called the palladium era. So like Hip Hop, like Salsa cannot have one nation that holds its' identity of origin because of the masses that came into influence it. The one common thread is the people of that culture, people that are all races and creeds. As far as needing to know where Emcees' came from if anyone knows about Cool Herk and the parties the threw then they know about the Emcees and they would also know about the B-Boys.

5. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

6. why write?

why write? Veteran Member

7. EyeforAnEYE

EyeforAnEYE Elite Member

8. Don't Panic

Don't Panic Member

Really though, why would anyone care?

9. cmeup

cmeup Veteran Member

my back yard...

10. bigpoppa.k

bigpoppa.k Elite Member

11. High Priest

High Priest Elite Member

http://www.diskunion.co.jp/s_sale/punk/img/PNK0212-040.jpg'>

These guys invented it. Last night.

12. TheoHuxtable

TheoHuxtable Senior Member

13. mikro137

mikro137 Guest

it started in the back of freezes house in harlem... his mom used to break.

14. GamblersGrin

GamblersGrin Elite Member

15. TheTruthHrtz

TheTruthHrtz Junior Member

dont be talkin' bout my mother now...