1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

When I was a kid

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by azert, Jul 30, 2005.

1. azert

azert 12oz Senior Member

When I was a kid

Discussion started by azert - Jul 30, 2005

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050730/ap_on_sc/new_planet

LOS ANGELES - Astronomers announced Friday that they have discovered a new planet larger than Pluto in orbit around the sun. The finding will likely renew debate over what exactly is a planet and whether Pluto should keep its status.

The unnamed object — the farthest-known object in the solar system — is currently 9 billion miles away from the sun, or about three times Pluto's current distance from the sun. Astronomers do not know its exact size, but its brightness shows that it is at least as large as Pluto and could be up to 1 1/2 times bigger.

"This is the first object to be confirmed to be larger than Pluto in the outer solar system," Michael Brown, a planetary scientist at the California Institute of Technology, said in a telephone briefing.

The briefing was hastily arranged after Brown received word that a secure Web site containing the discovery was hacked and the hacker threatened to release the information.

Brown labeled the object as a 10th planet, but there are scientists who dispute the classification of Pluto as such. There is no official definition for a planet and setting standards like size limits or orbital patterns potentially invites other objects to take the "planet" label.

Brown and colleagues Chad Trujillo of the Gemini Observatory and David Rabinowitz of Yale University first photographed the object in 2003 using a 48-inch telescope at the Palomar Observatory. But it was so far away that its motion was not detected until data was analyzed again this past January. It will take at least six months before astronomers can determine its exact size.

The new planet is rocky and icy, similar to Pluto, and is the third brightest object located in the Kuiper belt, a disc of icy debris beyond the orbit of Neptune, Brown said.

It has taken scientists this long to find the planet because its orbit is at an angle compared to the orbits of most planets.

Alan Stern of the Southwestern Research Institute in Boulder, Colo., said he was not surprised by the discovery since other objects around the size of Pluto have been found in the Kuiper Belt. What's unique about the latest finding is that the object appears to be bigger than Pluto, he said.

"Unless they've made a grave mistake, this is for real," said Stern, who had no role in the discovery.

On Thursday, another group of astronomers claimed that they found a bright object beyond Neptune, but it turned out to be smaller than Pluto. Brown said his group also found another object that was also brighter but smaller than Pluto.

Brown has submitted a name for the new planet to the International Astronomical Union, which has yet to act on the proposal. He did not release the proposed name.

azert - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  2. Gunm

Gunm Banned

Gunm - Replied Jul 30, 2005

we should blow it up to maintain the integrity of text books everywhere

Gunm - Rank: Banned - Messages:
  3. wAndEreR

wAndEreR 12oz Member

wAndEreR - Replied Jul 30, 2005

HAHA YEA IM WITH LENS..IT HARD ENUFF TRYNA REMEMBER THE 9 PLANETS WE ALREADY GOT..

wAndEreR - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  4. Bumboclot.

Bumboclot. 12oz Member

Bumboclot. - Replied Jul 30, 2005

psh...i hate science.

Bumboclot. - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  5. CACashRefund

CACashRefund 12oz Loyalist

CACashRefund - Replied Jul 30, 2005

I concur.

CACashRefund - Rank: 12oz Loyalist - Messages:
  6. FunTimePartyTeam

FunTimePartyTeam 12oz Senior Member

FunTimePartyTeam - Replied Jul 30, 2005

I wonder if its made out of rock candy?

What would you guys name it?

FunTimePartyTeam - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  7. ODS-1

ODS-1 12oz Elite Member

ODS-1 - Replied Jul 30, 2005

As if we are ever going to figure out how to get there.

ODS-1 - Rank: 12oz Elite Member - Messages:
  8. synaps

synaps 12oz Senior Member

synaps - Replied Jul 30, 2005

no dice

synaps - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  9. CRAMPS

CRAMPS 12oz Senior Member

CRAMPS - Replied Jul 31, 2005

hey I live in boulder...

and i have met that alan guy..I was on a trip with my astronimy class and went to the planitarium.

my friend used to work at the planitarium and we would get private lazer shows stoned out of our gords...then we hooked a playstation 2 up to the planitarium projector and played games and watched movies on a screen bigger than your house...

SHIT i miss that...

anyway...Im stoked that we have a new planet..if you have ever taken astronamy..its quite the mindfuck..most people in my class were a sleep..but i was wide awake and exited at the explanation of the distance of the width of our galaxey and picture of exploding stars that are 200 billion light years tip to tip.

it just doesent make sence

CRAMPS - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  10. Hokus

Hokus 12oz Member

Hokus - Replied Jul 31, 2005

..now thats just fuckin ridiculous!!!

Hokus - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  11. 26SidedCube

26SidedCube 12oz Veteran Member

26SidedCube - Replied Jul 31, 2005

Wow. Great. How much money did it cost to figure that out?

26SidedCube - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  12. KING BLING

KING BLING Guest

KING BLING - Replied Jul 31, 2005

We should name it "Bush" after the roman god of retarded...

13. goonstock

goonstock 12oz Member

goonstock - Replied Jul 31, 2005

zecharia sitchin pwns this thread

goonstock - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  14. gren1 bnc

gren1 bnc 12oz Senior Member

gren1 bnc - Replied Jul 31, 2005

:haha: :haha: :yuck:
    thats the first thing i thought.

gren1 bnc - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  15. bostonsnewest

bostonsnewest 12oz Veteran Member

bostonsnewest - Replied Jul 31, 2005

ya they named it 2003 UB313....what the fuck is that? what happened to naming them after gods?

bostonsnewest - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages: