Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Wheatpasting 101

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by ODS-1, May 4, 2004.

1. ODS-1

ODS-1 Elite Member

There have been people asking here and there about wheatpasting, so I'll give the 411.
    I nabbed this recipe from some political (Kind of)website.

Mix 3 parts flower, one part cornstarch, boiling that in water, (at proportios of 2 parts starch to 3 parts water.), and cooking it down to a paste. Hurry to stick up posters with it everywhere with it before it dries. You can keep your wheatpaste warm in winter by keeping it in a drink cooler. Try different variations of it until you find your personal favorite.
    visit the page at www.crimethinc.com/library/youcan.html
    They also have instructions on how to make a mop and a new york style mop also.
    I'm going to try to find some different recipes to post in here later.
    People should use wheatpasitng more as a way of getting over. It seems to be more accepted by the public too.

2. ODS-1

ODS-1 Elite Member

Here is a recipe that is a little more coherent. taken from www.causecommunications.com/forgetus/posters.html

Use white or whole grain whear flour. Mix one part flour (e.g., 4 cups) with 3 parts water (e.g., 12 cups). Cook over medium heat until boiling, stir constantly to remove all lumps. Lower heat and let simmer for about 30 minutes. I never stop stirring. You may have to add water as it is cooking to get a substance that's smooth enough to use like paint but thick enough to stick to walls. Do not burn. Let cool before using.

How to put them up.
    Apply a layer of paste to the surface in which you want to apply your poster.
    Smooth your poster out over the paste, making sure the corners stick so it''s hard to get down. Some like to add a little paste over the front of the poster for added permanence.

I suggest everyone check out the page as I linked to it. It applies more to political wheatpasing but It's all the same.

3. GnomeToys

GnomeToys Elite Member

A box full of wheat wallpaper paste from the hardware store is only $1.00.

4. ODS-1

ODS-1 Elite Member

Home made is better. because a:
    You can make as much of it as you want with what is in your kitchen.
    B: I've heard that home made is actually more
    permanent.
    If you're going to say that then go to the home made marker thread and tell everyone that markers are a dollar at the art store.
    Maybe someone will appreciate the time I took typing that for everyone on here to use.

5. GnomeToys

GnomeToys Elite Member

I appreciate it. I'm just saying if you don't already have flour and cornstarch around...

The hardware store stuff is plenty permanent. When I was in the PGI we would use it to strengthen and fireproof 80lb craft paper onto the outside of aerial shells until it was nearly rock hard. Fragments of brown paper coated with this shit last for literally years laying on the ground through rain and everything, after being shot from a mortar at a few hundred fps and blown up in the air, and will retain their strength if they're not wet. Wonk saggin.

6. ODS-1

ODS-1 Elite Member

I guess you people on here don't think wheatpasintg is graf. Oh well, it is anyway.

7. FightTheBuff

FightTheBuff Member

of course wheatpasting is a form of graffiti. it IS graffiti. dont trip, i appreciate the time you put into finding that info and writing it up...i'll use that recipe when i get around to making some wheatpaste. :cool:

8. imported_b0b

imported_b0b Guest

Bump for a sensible thread.

Seems to be far too many people expecting instant answers or too many people just doing wise cracks and smart comments and not enough people actually contributing (that is in relation to The Yard in genreal). If you thought I am talking about you in this post, I probably am.

9. blurstine

blurstine New Jack

nuice

nice ive been doing wheat pasting but nothing this intesnse

10. 1HalfOfMe

1HalfOfMe Member

anyone have any pictures of shit theyve designed?
    www.robbieconnal.com has some good ones. i think thats how its spelled.

when i went to buy some at home depot, its was like 8.50 for a quart so its prollly cheaper to just make it. and im assuming that after you have used the brush, you have to rinse it out pretty well or the brush will be fucked, this right?

11. Sekoe1

Sekoe1 Junior Member

Nice thread-- this is very helpful, I will give it a try.

12. ODS-1

ODS-1 Elite Member

Yeah that Ronnie Connal or however you spell it has some of the coolest posters. I saw a video about his shit. Wheatpaste is better to make yourself because it adds to the adventure and you can make as much as you want. Most homemade recipes I've seen them remain forever.

13. 1HalfOfMe

1HalfOfMe Member

hey odds got any stuff youve created? obviously youve experimented with this, any stuff you wanna share.
    here is one i did but it was just an experiment this was just the poster
    11x17. and i was reading somewhere that it is better to use thinner paper like that recyled shit becase its harder to get the whole poster to peel off.
    [​IMG]

14. ODS-1

ODS-1 Elite Member

I'll be honest I've never wheatpasted. Never. I just new a few bits about it and thought I would bring it to the surface as a way of getting up. Just get tired of seeing the same ol methods of graffiti. I thought I would share what I knew about it, and others could share what they know about it. I'm glad some of you have utilized new ways of getting over.

15. SlipStyle

SlipStyle Junior Member

wheatpasting is cool!