What's Your Major?

Pistol

This is primarily for all those already in college but still applies to those in HS that have a clue of what they want to do. I'm going to school to become a teacher. I'll probably end up teaching middle school or high school. I've got 3 odd years so far of full-time student status. But it seems like a shitload of classes still. I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a bunch of Art majors in here but I'm curious to what other interests those here on 12oz have.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Pistol

This is primarily for all those already in college but still applies to those in HS that have a clue of what they want to do. I'm going to school to become a teacher. I'll probably end up teaching middle school or high school. I've got 3 odd years so far of full-time student status. But it seems like a shitload of classes still. I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a bunch of Art majors in here but I'm curious to what other interests those here on 12oz have.

at the high school i went to my senior year a substitute teacher was an ex-writer....you could tell by the way he wrote on the board, and we ended up talking for a bit...right now, im undecied in my major, i was thinking computer sciences, but i realize i cant handle the math involved, so im probably going to change to some sort of photography major..

BFA in printmaking, at least that's what I'd like to go for now. who knows in two years. I wouldn't mind being a Prof at an art school, but I could never be a teacher. I'd like to know that the people I'm dealing with actually want to be there.

sports injury management. what a dumb major-pretty much locks you in one job so im switching to kinesiology- the study of movement. but im gonna try doing something else. maybe start djing and see what happens. my mom said i should become a rapper but i old her id rather dj so shes going half on equipment.

Guest wakassOATH
Originally posted by Pistol

ok ive got some news for you

both my parents are teachers my dad for a high school, my mom for a elementry

my dad has enough years in unaversity to become a docter over 2 and a half times hes educated like nuts

he picked education because at that time he wanted to help kids and he thought it would be nice to educate people and all that bull shit

hes at the top of his pay scale and he still doesnt get payed enough for what he does, let me tell you becoming a teacher is a bad choice

theres tons of un payed hours ,such as correcting papers, staff meatings and all that open house shit ..it isnt worth it

after that you put up with alot of b.s from the kids, parents and the school board

and guess what the only people that last in that proffession without having a nervouse breakdown are the ones who dont give a fuck about whats going on, ie. the teacher who comes in as soon as class starts ,reads his paper while the kids are doing whatever they please, socializes with no one and then goes home right after

so if your in for it cause you want to help, dont bother its not worth it and you wont make shit of a difference

why do you think there is a teacher shortage, because people relize what a shit job it is and how its not worth it

whatever, its up to you ..just letting you know

...the world needs teachers....you may have to sacrifice a paycheck and put up with shit, but when you make some kid open his/her eyes, and they learn and grow nothing can touch that...we are in a time when we need these people....plus you get sick vacations...my dad is a teacher, and he grumbles about all the bulllshit, but ya know what i know he loves it, and he knows the impact he has made...my one suggestion to you would be to look for a school that will let you take ed. credits along with a major....you dont wanna major in education (in case you wanna do something else) maybe get a psych, english, art, history, etc, major and then either double major in ed, or minor, and then go for your masters...i know CT now will not hire teachers who majored in ed, they want more rounded individuals....but its a good cause and a good choice...you may not have the lexus...but you can take a summer off and go paint europe....r

Originally posted by wakassOATH

let me tell you becoming a teacher is a bad choice

It's true, but like you said they do it cause they're good at what they teach (or should be). My mom teaches ina high school and I've heard all of the horror stories of her stupid-ass students.

By the way, I'm majoring in Graphic Design.

my old roommate was a upright jazz bassist, it was fun gonig to watch him play and have his buddies over ta jam. But I swear, he was the most anal, uptight, high strung person I've ever met. I thought jazz kids were supposed to be chills, oh well

I'm a digital design major

Originally posted by Gouged out 3rd Eye

... i old her id rather dj so shes going half on equipment.

Your mom sounds really cool.

I started college when I was sixteen. I was a Math and Science major. After a year, I decided to take some time off (1year). When I went back to school, I switched to Commercial Music Management (music business and audio production). I then took more time off (almost 3 years now). I'll be going back to school soon, and I think I'm going to change my major again. Maybe I'll study History or Art.

I've had a number of good jobs (accounting, computers, etc.), but I think I would either like to be involved in the music scene again or be a teacher of some kind.

..now i feel old.

i graduated last may..

bachelor of science in biochemistry and molecular biology

i'll probably return to graduate school soon, maybe for a pharmacology degree

Archived