What's your citys murder rate?

ODS-1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Between 1997 and 2002, the murder rate held steady at 24 murders per million people in my city -- while, in 2002, Chicago experienced 229 murders per million people.

yeah.... canada has a much lower murder rate.

"Over the past 10 years, Baltimore has been notorious for having the highest homicide rate in the country. In addition, the city has consistently led the nation in violent crime, STDs and cancer rate."

Baltimore's homicide rate climbs

Thursday, January 1, 2004 Posted: 10:11 AM EST (1511 GMT)

BALTIMORE, Maryland (AP) -- The city's homicide rate increased last year for the first time since 1998 as authorities said killings became more targeted, often in connection with the drug trade.

As of Wednesday, the city had reported 271 killings in 2003, compared with 253 in 2002. It's a 7 percent increase and the highest homicide total during the four-year tenure of Mayor Martin O'Malley, who campaigned on a pledge to reduce annual homicide totals to 175.

Police Commissioner Kevin P. Clark said part of the increase was due to gunmen hitting their victims with more bullets.

"They are not looking to shoot a guy in the leg to send a message," Clark said. "They are out to kill these guys."

Police also said the increase resulted, in part, from an unusually high number of victims who died in 2003 from injuries sustained earlier -- 18 such deaths were recorded last year, compared with eight in 2002.

The United States’ average yearly homicide rate is 5.6 per every 100,000 people. Maryland’s rate is 8.3 per 100,000, and Baltimore City has a homicide rate of 38.8 per 100,000 people. In some neighborhoods, Harries said, that number approaches 100 per 100,000.

Chicago topped nation in homicides in 2003

CHICAGO (AP) — Despite a sharp drop in homicides, Chicago has regained a title it didn't want: America's murder capital.

The city finished 2003 with 599 homicides, police said Thursday. That was down from 648 a year earlier and the first time since 1967 that the total dipped below 600.

Still, the nation's third-largest city outpaced all others for the second time in three years. New York, with about three times the population, ended the year with 596 homicides. Los Angeles, which had the most murders in 2002 at 658, wound up 2003 with an estimated total just under 500.

Chicago's new police superintendent, Philip J. Cline, joined colleagues elsewhere in blaming homicides largely on a volatile mix of gangs, guns and drugs.

But officials pointed to a new system established in June, partly inspired by New York's computerized crime analysis unit, that contributed to an 18% drop in Chicago murders in the second half of 2003 compared with a year earlier.

In New York, the unofficial murder tally of 596 compared with 584 in 2002. That was a 2% jump but still made 2003 the city's second straight year below 600 — dramatically less than the 2,245 homicides recorded in 1990.

St. Louis logged its lowest murder total in more than four decades, a showing that police credited to aggressive efforts to track down violent offenders.

Police said there were 69 killings in the Gateway City in 2003, matching the total of 1962. The number was a 39% decrease from the 2002 total of 113.

St. Louis Police Chief Joe Mokwa said the addition of 100 more officers to the force and "the strategy of confronting the most violent offenders has left our neighborhoods more stable."

Baltimore homicides increased for the first time since 1998 as authorities said killings became more targeted, often in connection with the drug trade.

As of Wednesday, Baltimore reported 271 killings in 2003, compared with 253 in 2002. It was a 7% increase and the highest homicide total during the four-year tenure of Mayor Martin O'Malley, who campaigned on a pledge to reduce annual totals to 175.

Baltimore Police Commissioner Kevin P. Clark said part of the increase was due to gunmen hitting their victims with more bullets.

"They are not looking to shoot a guy in the leg to send a message," Clark said. "They are out to kill these guys."

Preliminary figures from the District of Columbia showed the homicide rate dropping 6% in the nation's capital, from 262 in 2002 to 247 last year. But 2004 began with two homicides in about nine hours.

No final figures were available for Detroit, but an FBI report in mid-December put the city on a pace to end 2003 with its fewest homicides since 1968. The total would be about 365, the FBI said.

I don't know about 2004.

there isn't a day that goes by that i don't hear a police siren.

what is with you and all these "what have u seen bad or how bad are you threads" .shit if you werent kicked out the knighbats i would kicked u out myself by now anyway.....jeesh u wanna see crime move out the suburburbs and come get into some....shit....fuckin disgracefull...

BAY AREA CALIFORNIA

last year oakland had around 120 murders i think

right now theres a fat ass turf war going on in san francisco...i think our death toll is like 40 this year...most of them in the past few months....a few niggas been killed right by my old school...and some dude was shot up a few blocks away from my house by a dude in a camoflouge jumpsuit

Why does everyone and everything always say they got the highest murder rate?

I didn't realize maryland was so off the chain. They sure got a FUCK of alot of junkies in this motherfucker....

Where's detroits stats? Last I checked they had over 100 murders in the first month of the year.

Guest HESHIANDET
Philadelphia Has More Gun Killings than NYC

6/4/2004

Experts say that Philadelphia's weak gun laws may be the reason why the Pennsylvania city has more killings than New York City, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported June 2.

Data show that Philadelphia had 23.2 murders for every 100,000 residents last year, compared with New York City's 7.4 murders. Even the Bronx, once known for its high murder rate, had fewer per-capita killings than Philadelphia.

New York police officials credit numerous factors for their murder-rate decline, among them expanded police ranks; the CompStat system, which allows authorities to track and respond to crime trends; a program that places new police academy graduates in high-crime areas; and the end of the crack epidemic.

While Philadelphia has added to its police departments and implemented CompStat, the city still hasn't seen the same results as New York City. Criminologists said New York's tougher gun-control laws and aggressive neighborhood redevelopment are also contributing to the decline.

Philadelphia police officials have not yet identified a reason for the rise in murders. "We don't really know if it's the economy, or the availability of guns, or if people just get in an argument," said Police Commissioner Sylvester Johnson.

This article is online at http://www.jointogether.org/z/0,2522,571228,00.html

Here it is you rat faced yamp...

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Midwest/01/09/c...ing.detroit.ap/

Hope I don't dissappear ya....

They are regentrifying... I guess it's having an effect.

Karla Zimmerman, who wrote the Great Lakes section of the upcoming edition of Lonely Planet's U.S. guide, said Detroit's "post-apocalyptic feel," combined with several renowned museums, make it a fascinating destination.

Haha.

Melbournes 28th underworld killing in the last 4 years just got foiled yesterday with a huge SOG operation. Its been a bloodbath dudes been getting gunned down and executed left right and centre. BIg ups Carl Williams that dudes my new hero :D