Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

WHATS WORSE????? STATE YOUR OPINION

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by cmeup, Mar 4, 2002.

1. cmeup

cmeup Veteran Member

when it comes to graffiti, alot of people think its all about being illegal. which for the most part it is... or so thats what most think, i assume. getting up illegally, like bombing helps develope your skills, and is a very important part of graffiti.
    now is:

...growing/coming up on a legal wall, or a chill wall(that is so chill it might as well be legal) worse? in your opinion, and why?

i'd just like to know what you think about that issue.

*note* its not over if graffiti should be illegal or not, its simply dealing with whether or not there is a big difference between growing/coming up on a legal wall or a wall thats so chill it might as well be legal.

so whats worse... or is there even a difference?

tease

2. Sounds exactly the same to me...just paint bro.

3. boogie hands

boogie hands 12oz Legend

ill tell you whats worse.....a graffiti writers opinion.....i get more mental stimulation listening to myself fart.....:crazy:

4. kaesthebluntedwonder

kaesthebluntedwonder Elite Member

either way the main concern should be producing GOOD work in the end

5. cmeup

cmeup Veteran Member

i'm just kinda curious because i get tired of people yelling at other people for being: 'legal eagles' when i know of writers who 'came up' or 'developed' there skills on a wall that IS so chill it might as well be legal... but no one would dare call them a 'legal eagle' or accuse them of being a toy.

its kinda hypocritical if you ask me.

tease

6. Ski Mask

Ski Mask 12oz Loyalist

gee, what could have spurred this discusion? If you're an established writer who turns to legal work for whatever personal reasons I really don't see why you should get frowned upon. Sometimes you get to a point in your life where its not worth the risk anymore, and everyones gotta make there own decisions.

But if your starting out doing mostly legal work and not learning a lot of lessons in the yard or the street than thats somthing different altogether. Legal walls are a place to get complicated, and stretch your mind. Its healthy when combined with lots of illegal work, or as an alternative to getting busted if you're on parole or somthing. I'm not gonna knock anyone who breaks out the ghetto blaster and lawn chairs to spend a sunday painting with friends...frankly I look forward to being somewhere where I will have a chance to do that. But if thats 90% of what you do, and you've never put in much illegal work I wouldn't think of you as a "real" writer (as much as I loathe that term).

The quality of your work is what matters in the end, the rest is just a semantic argument really...

7. tue skinny

tue skinny Elite Member

writers dont think of it as illegal we see it as a totally different perspective. other people who are against this art say its illegal

8. Zack Morris

Zack Morris Veteran Member

couldn't agree more

9. shameless self promotion

shameless self promotion 12oz Legend

10. cmeup

cmeup Veteran Member

ESE- first off thank you for you explanation. and secondly, it has nothing to do with me, cuz i know thats what your thinking. i could care less about what people think about me.

i just dont see the point in being 'double standard'. like treating one person one way but not the other.

thats all im saying, ya know?

tease

11. Ski Mask

Ski Mask 12oz Loyalist

speak for yourself. I see it as illegal, but I obviously don't feel its wrong. I see this all the time..."graffiti is not a crime!" YES IT IS! but its a fun one, that doesn't really hurt anyone. Don't pull any punches about what we do...

12. cmeup

cmeup Veteran Member

MODS- i ask that you dont do that, i get more responses here, thats why its in here. i know its suppost to go in third rail, however the newbies opinions arent the ones im after.

thanks.

tease

13. cmeup

cmeup Veteran Member

geeeee, thanks for nothing.

:rolleyes:

14. Ski Mask

Ski Mask 12oz Loyalist

I see what your getting at. I think the reason that the "double standard" exists is because the persons opinion is more than just the sheer esthetics of the piece. Its the work that went into doing it. I got more respect for a burner if it was on a sick rooftop, than if it was at a legal, cause I know the work the writer put into doing it. But I'd still appriciate the legal...its just less impressive. I mean, its impossible to remove the surroundings from the piece when you make a judgement...if you did youd treat a simple pannel the same as a wholecar with the same outline, and you know that never happens.

The stupid "keep it real" people who slam on "legal eagles" arent worth worrying about, and I think thats alot of what your getting at...

15. Asid

Asid Guest

hrmm

I just hate the people that think the first thing they ever paint should be with a can of belton and a gold cap pulling up to a legal wall....Thats not writing, its like Suburbia writing....