what's the ringing?

swif1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Tinnitus

The perception of sound in the absence of acoustic stimulus. Tinnitus is a subjective experience of the patient. It is distinguished from bruit , a noise that can be heard by the examiner as well as the patient (usually caused by a blood vessel "pounding.")

Tinnitus can be of a buzzing, ringing, roaring, whistling or hissing quality or may involve more complex "sounds" than that over a period of time. It may be intermittent or continuous. An associated hearing loss is also usually experienced.

The actual mechanism involved in the production of tinnitus remains obscure. It may occur as a symptom of nearing every ear disorder, including obstruction of the external auditory canal due to cerumen (wax) and foreign bodies, infectious processes (external otitis, myringitis, otitis media, labyrinthitis, petrositis, syphilis, and meningitis,) eustacian tube obstruction, otosclerosis, Meniere's disease, arachnoiditis, cerebellopontine angle tumors, ototoxicity (due to aspirin, quinine, aminoglyceride antibiotics, some diuretics, carbon monoxide, heavy metals, alcohol, etc.) cardiovascular diseases (high blood pressure, "hardening of the arteries") anemia, hypothyroidism, hereditary sensorineural hearing loss, NOISE-INDUCED HEARING LOSS (rock music, loud machinery), acoustic trauma (explosions, gunfire) and head trauma.

The patient's ability to tolerate the tinnitus varies. Treatment should be directed at the underlying disease, since if the disease can be cured, the tinnitus will go away. THERE IS NO SPECIFIC MEDICAL OR SURGICAL TREATMENT FOR TINNITUS, many patients find relief by playing background music to mask it, and even go to sleepo with the radio playing. ("It's that darned tinnitus, Mom. I need to play my radio all night.") Some people benefit from a tinnitus masker, a device worn like a hearing aid that presents a noise more pleasant than the tinnitus. Try giving up caffiene and cigarettes, that helps some people, too. Best of all PROTECT YOUR EARS FROM LOUD NOISES.

Re: Tinnitus

Originally posted by KaBar

THERE IS NO SPECIFIC MEDICAL OR SURGICAL TREATMENT FOR TINNITUS, many patients find relief by playing background music to mask it, and even go to sleepo with the radio playing.

So, should I bother to go get checked out? Will my hearing decrease over time? Or should I just deal with it?

P.S. I've been doing the radio thing for over 2 years.

• 3 months later...

Effyoo

Listening to the radio at "normal" volumes (i.e. "soft" volumes) won't hurt your ears. People use that to mask the tinnitus so they can sleep.

But yeah, you should go get it checked out. I had tinnitus and hearing loss in my left ear, and it turned out to be an acoustic neuroma (a tumor) and I had to have it operated on. Now I'm deaf in my left ear, but WTF, better than a tumor, right?

Go get it checked. Probably from loud music, but you never know. I thought my hearing loss was from gunfire in the Marines. Wrong.

Originally posted by vinyl junkie

i was told it's called tinnitus, and it happens when you listen to too loud music or whatever too and i've found it to be very true... and very irritating... and i wish i'd used ear plugs more before it was too late...

i get it randomly.. where i wont even be listening to music and only one of my ears go all crazy.

After going to a long local hardcore show and having my ears ring with an obnoxious high pitch noise for 3 or 4 days i decided it just isn't worth it and from then on i've been wearing earplugs when i go to shows. My ears still will ring from time to time just randomly, or after i've been wearing headphones for awhile and stuff like that and its definitely annoying as hell.

its happened to me before too

ill be lying in bed and it goes eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep and itss annoying as fuk

Re: Tinnitus

Originally posted by KaBar

It is distinguished from bruit , a noise that can be heard by the examiner as well as the patient (usually caused by a blood vessel "pounding.")

I have this. its crazy, never knew there was a term for it. if I put my ear against my pillow while sleeping I hear that rushing noise (like a sweeping broom) and after the first few times it happened I'd put my fingers on my pulse and realized they were in synch. Its not loud or anything. rather quiet....just an oddity, not really a problem.

do you ever get little lapses where your brain just can't process a word?

like somebody will say a word to you, and you get them to repeat it, and they say it clear as day, and your brain just goes "uhhhhh......what?" and you have to get them to repeat it a 3rd time making yourself look like a retard before your brain registers the word.

no? I hate that.

Originally posted by ese

do you ever get little lapses where your brain just can't process a word?

like somebody will say a word to you, and you get them to repeat it, and they say it clear as day, and your brain just goes "uhhhhh......what?" and you have to get them to repeat it a 3rd time making yourself look like a retard before your brain registers the word.

no? I hate that.

happens to me all the time. usually if i don't get it the 4th time i give up and just nod in agreement with whatever they said or say "ahhh"

i was wrecked one night and stopped understanding english completely

I had Ringing all fucking day from playing drums i was board so i made shitty beats. and then my ears rang for a while the guy next door thought i wanted to compete or something he started playing his drums soon as i finished like to tell me he has some too amazing............

Archived