whats the big deal with history???

REGULATOR

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I kinda agree with you too. I think you should be aware of the history in your area and some of the legends worldwide. But I don't feel the need to have to know about some late 90's freight 'king. I guess cause when I was in my prime if the early 90's we didn't have the net, all we had was word of mouth and Subway Art, and the great zine Can Control. Now there are 20 graff books,100 zines, 50 movies, the internet where everyone seems to know everything about every joe Blow writer in Canada, Australia, or FuckMeInTheAss, Wyoming.

Originally posted by REGULATOR

alrite....why exactly do we need to kno the history of graff??? i personally find it pointless but i was wondering you guys thought.....95% of the writers i kno are youngstas and dont know and dont give a fuck about who was bombing back in the 80s early 90s

I agree completely. I get really sick of people giving me shit about history and my lack of knowledge about it. I paint, I work hard - that's all that is required of me........

Originally posted by Dr. Dazzle

Kinda like knowing the history of a sport.....

Could not have said it better myself. The same goes for music, you see alot of sucessful bands talking about thier favorite bands and the history of their genre of music.

Many of you say Graffiti is an art(though I disagree in part), 99% of art schools require you to learn "art history" before you can graduate. You need to know who came before you, what they did, and learn about different styles.

If you show a genuine interest in graffiti, take the time to learn your history.

This has been a public service announcement. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Guest imported_Tesseract

You study the history of graffiti just because its something you like to know about, It comes naturally.

You just want to read/see/ask and talk about it, thats all and its damn important, as history is important in all things.

The media stuff, is pure medieval crap, you cant blame magazines/sites and books, the more you got the better

WELL HMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I see your point a little but you need to understand some things. The true great writers had influences. They came up watching and mimicing other styles and techs until they came up with there own styles. All artists in all fields have stated one after another that they had influences. SOOOOO studying the art and the status of previous artists helps you to understand where the artform that you love has come from. You don't need to know who kinged the one line in 86 but it's nice to know what artists came from where so you can understand styles and there geographic placements. West coast and East coast sometimes have blatent diferences in styles and that is because the cultures and histories are diferent. Anyway...... that's my word as I see it, some will tell you other things. Other than that, paint because you love it. FUCK what others try to tell you what to do.

CAPS................ Doctor........ your three o'clock is here.

http://sprapex.com

MONTANA PAINT CHEAP!

Well, if someone needs to ask why they should take an interest in understanding something they claim to be part of, they dont possess the passion or dedication required to make it in the long haul.

If you need practical ,concrete reasons...here's one example: You never studied your history enough to know that so-and-so wrote

"XYZ" back in the days, and payed his dues and earned his respect. In your complete ignorance you begin to write "XYZ", you are making a little name for yourself locally as time goes by, and feeling pretty good about your status. You venture to the big city to step up your rep, when you arrive to make your debut, your big splash, you seek out the established writers in said city...you want to hook up and make some noise, right? Only when you tell them you are "XYZ", they proceed to split your wig and relieve you of all your hard earned paint. WHY?

Guest evoloner

I think it all depends how interested you are in the art form you are participating in. I mean when I first started writing ,I wanted to know everything I could about graffiti.

If I was in a book store and saw subway art for example I would pick it up and read it. When I first got access to the net, any site that had info I would want to read it because it interested me. So I think if you really love doing something you should want to learn everything you can about it.

Good point

Originally posted by SCOTCHWISKEO

You never studied your history enough to know that so-and-so wrote

"XYZ" back in the days, and payed his dues and earned his respect. In your complete ignorance you begin to write "XYZ"

Very good point. I'll be humble enough to say "Anybody heard of CAP?" Well when I started 10 years ago, I didn't know my history AT ALL. All that I knew was that I loved painting and it wasn't untill later that I really enjoyed the history and stories. Then I found out that the name I had been writing for over a year was the name of a "king status" kid in Brook. So the moral is "learn" then you won't have to even sweat what wiskeo was talking about.

GOOD POINT WISK

CAPS....... my name means C.ops A.nd P.eople S.uck. I like my name. I hate my hair.

http://sprapex.com

MONTANA PAINT F'in CHEAP

i believe history in many things to be important "how will know your future if you dont know your past?"

just a quik example, how do you know not to go over a dope piece with some toy marksalot tag that you just picked up and decided to start writing with one day?

of course you develop a style of your own (hopefully) along the way of your career but, when you first start you catch glimpses and you see things in other peoples work that might strongly influence you or others around you, you must acknowledge this out of respect otherwise you're fronting

faking the funk aint cool we all no its about originality and being genuine

no biters. aint that right!?

getting skooled is a must

Originally posted by SCOTCHWISKEO

Well, if someone needs to ask why they should take an interest in understanding something they claim to be part of, they dont possess the passion or dedication required to make it in the long haul.

If you need practical ,concrete reasons...here's one example: You never studied your history enough to know that so-and-so wrote

"XYZ" back in the days, and payed his dues and earned his respect. In your complete ignorance you begin to write "XYZ", you are making a little name for yourself locally as time goes by, and feeling pretty good about your status. You venture to the big city to step up your rep, when you arrive to make your debut, your big splash, you seek out the established writers in said city...you want to hook up and make some noise, right? Only when you tell them you are "XYZ", they proceed to split your wig and relieve you of all your hard earned paint. WHY?

This is the right answer - know your history for the love, and for your safety.

There's a few different reasons why I believe history is important.

First and foremost, as Truman said, "If we don't learn from the mistakes of history, we are doomed to repeat them." I'll give you a good personal example with this one. It was a few years ago when I first started getting interested in graf. I've always been into computers and I came across graffiti.org and started reading up. I came to find out that there were actual publications with pics and I picked up my first, (and so far, only) issue of 12oz. Now, I don't remember where I read it, but I came across this article that was written by an established, retired, writer. Essentially, the article was a warning. He was talking about his history with writing, and how he had never wore a mask. He went on to talk about all of these horrible disorders he started to develop over the years and it scared the shit outta me.

I went out and boughta mask that day.

It's also about roots. Don't take this as a literal comparison, but would you join a war if you had no clue of it's cause? Or who you would be fighting with? Or against? Being an artist is one thing, but when you take it to the streets, you should realize that you are joining a MOVEMENT. It means something different to all writers, and to all writers it should mean something.

REGULATOR-the reason for knowing your history is this- You want to claim and rock shit, well, there were tons before you, who rocked really hard, and in order for you to think you are someone in this game, you must know what they did, and you must come close or better, in order to gain respect. In the long run, without knowing your history, you will not know who ran the yards before you..like ARM,TDF,GF,ROT,MC,RSP,USC, laz,rewind,floyd,metal,dink,gears,king razor......these are crews and people you should know, ask your older brother or his friends, etc...For knowing what the hell you are trying to do now. If you don't know your past, you don't know your future.Respect the game you are playing.Learn the history of old bus line rockers, these people are worthy of your respect. The game is deep.If you learn the historyl, even of your own city, you will find a great deal of info in it..like what candy ink, really is. New york,signing out.

Guest SOCCERMOM 1

HISTORY IS IMPORTANT!! as is discipline, respect, and understanding of any given subculture. where would we be if those before us hadn't paved the way. should the ones who worked hard in the past be simply forgotten? gone over by raver joe and tribal gear tony? "i'm just having fun dude!" would you like to be forgotten for all your efforts? why shouldn't you learn your roots, it's what defines you. when you understand history you understand what growing up means.

listen to your teachers and do your homework

Originally posted by cleansheets

REGULATOR-the reason for knowing your history is this- You want to claim and rock shit, well, there were tons before you, who rocked really hard, and in order for you to think you are someone in this game, you must know what they did, and you must come close or better, in order to gain respect. In the long run, without knowing your history, you will not know who ran the yards before you..like ARM,TDF,GF,ROT,MC,RSP,USC, laz,rewind,floyd,metal,dink,gears,king razor......these are crews and people you should know, ask your older brother or his friends, etc...For knowing what the hell you are trying to do now. If you don't know your past, you don't know your future.Respect the game you are playing.Learn the history of old bus line rockers, these people are worthy of your respect. The game is deep.If you learn the historyl, even of your own city, you will find a great deal of info in it..like what candy ink, really is. New york,signing out.

YES.

Originally posted by cleansheets

haha i see a point in that....i only wish i had someone who would teach me that shit....no one i kno has been writing for more than3 years

like listening to war stories..

Some of the written info about old stuff isn't that interesting, but the best is to meet and listen to old writers stories, and learning just comes along with being entertained and interested. Like listening to your gramps about WWII brings that to life. The new Dondi book is well done, and has great little paragrapgs next to all the flicks.

PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEW TOYS NOT KNOWING HISTORY IS THAT KID FROM DOWN SOUTH WRITTING ZOOM.

MEANWHILE THERE WAS ZOOM UA WHO RECKED SHIT AND PASSED AWAY

ALL YOU YOUNGER TOYS ARE JUST POINTLESS..AND U CAN BOMB UR LIL HICK TOWNS TIL THE COWS COME HOME BUT ULL NEVER HAVE AS MUCH FAME

AS ANY OF THE LEGENDS FROM NYC, LA OR PHILLY..

AND TO NOT KNOW WHO WAS WHO IN THE 90'S IS JUST CRAZY...THAT WAS JUST AROUND THE CORNER...

GOES TO SHOW U THAT THIS WATERED DOWN ..INTERNET HANDED DOWN GRAFFITI IS BULLSHIT..YOU KIDS ARE CLUELESS

Originally posted by REGULATOR

alrite....why exactly do we need to kno the history of graff??? i personally find it pointless but i was wondering you guys thought.....95% of the writers i kno are youngstas and dont know and dont give a fuck about who was bombing back in the 80s early 90s

its really the same context as everything else..say like hiphop if i didnt check out the old i would have never goten this far basically knowing your history makes what you do now better......../

LORDY...i thought this thread topic was a joke its so ridiculous, and then i saw who started and understood that it was not.

for those who are not familiar, this REGULATOR guy has asserted to me that the ENTIRE city and history of philadelphia are IRRELEVANT. and, furthermore, ALL philly hands suck and they consist merely of "a bunch of lines with an arrow on the side".

to see these debates, go to any of the philly threads or handstyle threads in the bench.

REGULATOR, i really dont need to repeat whats been said real well by JEWISH TASK FORCE, CLEANSHEETS, SCOTCH WISKEO, or SOCCERMOM, but i think the underlying fact should be clear. looking at how many posts you make, relative to the post # of the writers on here who i know are REAL writers, its clear that your graffiti career primarily exists on this board.

i hope you get better and less retarded, but all i can say for now is, since you dont believe me (maybe cause im from the city that doesnt count, philly?) BELIEVE these people. some of these response are from REAL writers and they have at least seniority, if not a lot more wisdom than you.

if you dont know -scratch that- if you even HAVE to ask if history matters, youre failing the course and are gonna hafta repeat in summer school. this may be a big interent game for ya dude, and thats grand. id rather you stay off the streets, personally. but, unfortunately for you, DECADES of people have been building this culture, call it art or otherwise, and you are showing up, last in line, whining about why you cant skip to graduation day and do whatever you want.

DUDE, if you wanna ignore history, DO whatever floats your boat. but DONT, i repeat DONT wonder why you get your face kicked in the day you go over some classic shit, take a respected dead writers name, or ever, ever, EVER come to philly and come across me.

KISSES!!

I thought this topic was a joke too... sadly it isn´t.

What´s even sadder is that now with the advent of the internet etc it is easier than ever to learn your history.

I could go on for hours about how important it is to know what you´re doing - meaning know your history - but I´ll phrase my arguement the most forceful way I can:

I HAVE NEVER, EVER, MET A GOOD WRITER WHO DID NOT KNOW THEIR HISTORY. NEVER.

Archived