Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

whats the big deal with history???

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by REGULATOR, Feb 12, 2002.

1. REGULATOR

REGULATOR Elite Member

alrite....why exactly do we need to kno the history of graff??? i personally find it pointless but i was wondering you guys thought.....95% of the writers i kno are youngstas and dont know and dont give a fuck about who was bombing back in the 80s early 90s

2. Pistol

Pistol Dirty Dozen Crew

I kinda agree with you too. I think you should be aware of the history in your area and some of the legends worldwide. But I don't feel the need to have to know about some late 90's freight 'king. I guess cause when I was in my prime if the early 90's we didn't have the net, all we had was word of mouth and Subway Art, and the great zine Can Control. Now there are 20 graff books,100 zines, 50 movies, the internet where everyone seems to know everything about every joe Blow writer in Canada, Australia, or FuckMeInTheAss, Wyoming.

3. bodice_ripper

bodice_ripper Elite Member

I agree completely. I get really sick of people giving me shit about history and my lack of knowledge about it. I paint, I work hard - that's all that is required of me........

4. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle Veteran Member

Before I even picked up a can I made sure I knew all about the history. I don't think you need to be all heavy into it, just a basic knowledge of where your roots come from.

Kinda like knowing the history of a sport.....

5. Jewish Task Force

Jewish Task Force Senior Member

Could not have said it better myself. The same goes for music, you see alot of sucessful bands talking about thier favorite bands and the history of their genre of music.

Many of you say Graffiti is an art(though I disagree in part), 99% of art schools require you to learn "art history" before you can graduate. You need to know who came before you, what they did, and learn about different styles.

If you show a genuine interest in graffiti, take the time to learn your history.

This has been a public service announcement. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

6. blah

blah New Jack

well i didnt really try to go out and learn the history i just sort of picked it up on accident.

7. You study the history of graffiti just because its something you like to know about, It comes naturally.
    You just want to read/see/ask and talk about it, thats all and its damn important, as history is important in all things.
    The media stuff, is pure medieval crap, you cant blame magazines/sites and books, the more you got the better

8. REGULATOR

REGULATOR Elite Member

yea when i started i wasnt exactly clueless about what happened before i started....i mostly just knew about MSK and LA highway graff...but i had no idea who were the best train bombers in NY, or who was the freight king of the 80s

9. CAPS

CAPS Member

WELL HMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I see your point a little but you need to understand some things. The true great writers had influences. They came up watching and mimicing other styles and techs until they came up with there own styles. All artists in all fields have stated one after another that they had influences. SOOOOO studying the art and the status of previous artists helps you to understand where the artform that you love has come from. You don't need to know who kinged the one line in 86 but it's nice to know what artists came from where so you can understand styles and there geographic placements. West coast and East coast sometimes have blatent diferences in styles and that is because the cultures and histories are diferent. Anyway...... that's my word as I see it, some will tell you other things. Other than that, paint because you love it. FUCK what others try to tell you what to do.

CAPS................ Doctor........ your three o'clock is here.
    http://sprapex.com
    MONTANA PAINT CHEAP!

10. SCOTCH WHISKEO

SCOTCH WHISKEO Dirty Dozen Crew

Well, if someone needs to ask why they should take an interest in understanding something they claim to be part of, they dont possess the passion or dedication required to make it in the long haul.
    If you need practical ,concrete reasons...here's one example: You never studied your history enough to know that so-and-so wrote
    "XYZ" back in the days, and payed his dues and earned his respect. In your complete ignorance you begin to write "XYZ", you are making a little name for yourself locally as time goes by, and feeling pretty good about your status. You venture to the big city to step up your rep, when you arrive to make your debut, your big splash, you seek out the established writers in said city...you want to hook up and make some noise, right? Only when you tell them you are "XYZ", they proceed to split your wig and relieve you of all your hard earned paint. WHY?

11. evoloner

evoloner Guest

I think it all depends how interested you are in the art form you are participating in. I mean when I first started writing ,I wanted to know everything I could about graffiti.
    If I was in a book store and saw subway art for example I would pick it up and read it. When I first got access to the net, any site that had info I would want to read it because it interested me. So I think if you really love doing something you should want to learn everything you can about it.

12. ASER1NE

ASER1NE Veteran Member

quoted from the other thread from me :
    "who the fuck cares " just do it and enjoy it .

13. mental invalid

mental invalid Dirty Dozen Crew

...reread tess' post for the abstract and intellectual reason behind learning the history...

....then reread scotchs for a very practical reason why you should, cause wigs arent meant to be split and paint is expensive...

i thought it was self explanatory....

14. CAPS

CAPS Member

Good point

Very good point. I'll be humble enough to say "Anybody heard of CAP?" Well when I started 10 years ago, I didn't know my history AT ALL. All that I knew was that I loved painting and it wasn't untill later that I really enjoyed the history and stories. Then I found out that the name I had been writing for over a year was the name of a "king status" kid in Brook. So the moral is "learn" then you won't have to even sweat what wiskeo was talking about.

GOOD POINT WISK

CAPS....... my name means C.ops A.nd P.eople S.uck. I like my name. I hate my hair.
    http://sprapex.com
    MONTANA PAINT F'in CHEAP

15. cee-lok

cee-lok New Jack

i believe history in many things to be important "how will know your future if you dont know your past?"
    just a quik example, how do you know not to go over a dope piece with some toy marksalot tag that you just picked up and decided to start writing with one day?
    of course you develop a style of your own (hopefully) along the way of your career but, when you first start you catch glimpses and you see things in other peoples work that might strongly influence you or others around you, you must acknowledge this out of respect otherwise you're fronting
    faking the funk aint cool we all no its about originality and being genuine
    no biters. aint that right!?
    getting skooled is a must