whats on your desktop part 2.

tue skinny

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Tesseract

Explain...

The longer you have your monitor on (with the same image up) for long periods of time, it can actually burn that image onto your monitor. I've seen it happen to cpmputer screen projectors and the screens that they are projected onto. This is why (wink wink) ***screen savers*** come in handy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is screen burn-in? Should I be concerned about it?

One area on my monitor's display is out of focus. Everything else looks fine -- what's causing this?

The display on my monitor jitters back and forth. How do I get it to stop?

What is screen burn-in? Should I be concerned about it?

In the past, leaving a monitor on for hours and hours would burn the image into the phosphor on the inside of the glass tube. Because the phosphor's phosphorescence had literally been worn out, this image would remain permanently "engraved" into your monitor's display.

Fortunately, modern technology has made this problem virtually non-existant. Today's monitors would have to be left on for years before they began to exhibit significant signs of burn-in. If you're still concerned though, feel free to turn the brightness down or install one of those nifty screen savers.

One area on my monitor's display is out of focus. Everything else looks fine -- what's causing this?

If one one area on the display is out of focus, or if you see some odd color spotches, then you might need to degauss the monitor.

Why degauss? The powerful magnetic field created be the electron guns in the monitor may gradually magnetize the monitor's casing. Over time, the monitor's electron gun will literally be thrown out of line by its own magnetized case. This will cause blurring and possibly some color spotches. Degaussing will cancel out any and all magnetic fields, thus returning your monitor back to its normal condition.

Look for a degaussing button on the back of your monitor or check your manual for instructions on how to degauss your display. If none of these are available, you can check to see if it degausses automatically by turning it on and off rapidly a couple of times. If the screen comes back on with rapid, waving bands of light and color them stop immediately followed by an audible click, then you've been degaussed.

If you're still having problems figuring out how to deguass the machine, then take it to any television service shop. They'll do it for you.

The display on my monitor jitters back and forth. How do I get it to stop?

The most common cause of a jiggling display is electrical interference. Anything from a clock radio to an external hard drive to overhead florescent lights can cause this disruption. To remedy it, simply remove your monitor away from any such electrical devices, or vice-versa.

Another possible cause could be a fluctuating electrical current coming from the wall socket. To test this, simply take your monitor/computer to another location and turn it on. If the jittering no longer exists, then you've found your problem. I recommend buying a power conditioner that will turn the rough current coming from the power company into smooth current that won't give your monitor such fits. These are available from most computer dealers.

If the monitor still continues to jitter, then you may have a more serious problem. In addition to electrical interference and fluctuating electrical currents, a bad power supply or failing solder joints on the monitor's motherboard may also cause such jitters. If this is the case, then take your monitor to a local repair shop or technician.

©1996 by MacintoshOS.com

Apple Computer, Inc. in no way endorses or is affiliated with MacintoshOS.com. Apple, the Apple logo, and Macintosh are registered trademarks and Mac OS is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc.

Much of the information contained herein has been extracted from Elliotte M. Harold's incredible FAQ lists. We thank and commend him for his invaluable service to the Macintosh world.

Originally posted by -Rage-

The longer you have your monitor on (with the same image up) for long periods of time, it can actually burn that image onto your monitor. I've seen it happen to cpmputer screen projectors and the screens that they are projected onto. This is why (wink wink) ***screen savers*** come in handy.

screen burn doesnt happen all that often on monitors anymore unless they are on for like months at a time not redrawing anything to it. projection screens are a different story they will burn in much faster than your monitor will. hell i've had my monitor for like 7 years now and the start button hasnt burnt into it yet. plus its on 15-20 hours a day everyday. screensavers are pretty much useless nowadays. plus nothaving a background wont really help if it were to burn in an image it can burn in the image of your icons.

Guest HESHIANDET

shes gotten a bit cluttered lately. i need to organize my apps really bad. i got half on the desktop, half hiding out........yes yes, two beutiful 21in sony flat screens. also peep the partitions on the ol HD. uhh, thugging this bitch...

Guest imported_SecretAgentX9
Originally posted by -Rage-

The longer you have your monitor on (with the same image up) for long periods of time, it can actually burn that image onto your monitor. I've seen it happen to computer screen projectors and the screens that they are projected onto. This is why (wink wink) ***screen savers*** come in handy.

if you have a lcd (liquid crystal display, or a flat screen) it is VERY easy for something to burn into the "materials." it doesn't take a long time whatsoever. you don't have to worry about it as much if you have a crt (cathode ray tube display, aka a traditional big box of a thing).

a solution to screen burn on any setup is to put your system to sleep or shut off your monitor when you are not using it.

Guest imported_SecretAgentX9
Originally posted by HESHIANDET

shes gotten a bit cluttered lately. i need to organize my apps really bad. i got half on the desktop, half hiding out........yes yes, two beutiful 21in sony flat screens. also peep the partitions on the ol HD. uhh, thugging this bitch...

yo hesh.. i traded a similar setup in for a cinema... as fr8o would say, oooohhhfaaahhhh!!!

Archived