what would black kids listen to if hiphop/rap never existed?

Guest MR BOJANGLES

Guest MR BOJANGLES

dont get me wrong, i love hiphop. but as we all know it has shaped the african american youths of today culturally. so what would be goin on right now if hiphop wasnt here? black stoners?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

the more important question is if there was no rap music, who would white kids try and front like they were down with? we'd have a bunch of white kids thinking they were mexican or indians or something... haha... white kids calling eachother 'yellow running bird' and shit. hahaha.

deerskin fronts..

i think id probably end up right where i am anyway, i was raised in a pretty blues/classic rock household.

cus as everyone knows, im black..

misread the subject line

[This message has been edited by beardo (edited 09-14-2001).]

Guest --zeSto--

what if Jamaica never made music?

I honestly and full hartedly believe that all modern music

has it's roots in Jamaican culture.

The essence of loops and samples started with dub,

as did the chanting and call-backs of hip hop.

Every modern electronic music genre owes a debt to Jamaica.

so without it...

I'd be listening to jazz (well only jazz)

id say that most white kids go through a phase of being cool and down and force themselves to listen to rap and try to be as jiggy as possible. like when they enter high school and they realize how cool it is to be black, so, in turn, they try to do the closest thing to that. listen to rap music. i see it as there are 3 groups of "white rap listeners"

1. we have the fubu/exco/southpole/phatgear or whatever wearing thug. he was normal n elementary and then it was cool to become black in junior high/ high school. sio, draped in this crap, he listens to the likes of wutang, tupac, bone thugs etc... also he likes to use slang totally useless and making him sound like an even bigger goofball than he already comes off as. also, he thinks he must live the thug life and tries to be the stick up kid, but it rarely works, unless of course hes a really big honkey.eventuallly he will grow out of this phase. and return to listen to regular white music in his case ac/dc metallica etc..

2. the jock/pretty boy/high school cool guy. o.k, this guy is pretty self explanitory, he listens to such thugs as nelly/kc and jojo/ sisquo/r.kelly. ok, he also enjoys clothes like american eagle gap abercrombie mavi and generally like being the pretty boy, they dont really like rap all that much, but seemingly everyone else likes it and the bitches like kc and jojo so, in turn hes likes it. altough secretly he listenes to his dads supertramp albums when no one is around. he will continue to front on liking this music, high school will end, hell eventually go back to listening to regular white folk music. supertramp, dave matthews band, old pearl jam albums, and generally commercial rock. thus, concluding his phase of listening to "rap.

3. o.k we now have the hip hop head. always been listening to rap since public enemy. didnt really know what was up with hip hop as of then, but now loves it to death. listens to anything underground. loves to go to go to underground shows. wears his hat crooked. has one of those thin pencil chinstrap beards. most likley has baggy jeans and some white shoes. (shoes always must be polished) these types love hip hop, and most likley al;ways will. they arent a thug, just a head, like graffiti,breaking,watching mcees,and trying to dj. they wont really grow out of hi hop, they will just expand their hoorizions by listening to jazz, blues etc... (im not so sure of this guy as this is an assumption. its all i can gather.)

o.k, heres my ranting, its all just what i see and i felt liek typing. as you can tell white folks tend to go thrpught rap phases but usually end up listening to white boy music in the end.

a better question, how would 12 peoples lives be different had i not gotten obliterated at a get together, yanked my peice out and proceded to twirl it around not 1, not 2, but three consecutive times all due to some one telling me i wouldnt really do it.....yeah, thats definatly a better question, how could these people live without such a great drunk story to tell in front of everyone while at parties.....

------------------

brick, brick ,brick...thats how i be up against your girlfriends ass...

Originally posted by T.T Boy:

. i see it as there are 3 groups of "white rap listeners"

1. we have the fubu/exco/southpole/phatgear or whatever wearing thug.

2. the jock/pretty boy/high school cool guy.

3. o.k we now have the hip hop head. wears his hat crooked. has one of those thin pencil chinstrap beards. most likley has baggy jeans and some white shoes. (shoes always must be polished) these types love hip hop, and most likley al;ways will. they arent a thug, just a head, like graffiti,breaking,watching mcees,and trying to dj.

B]

i like hip hop, most people perceive me as white (actually only half white) and i'm glad i don't fit into any of your categories.

Originally posted by boogie hands:

a better question, how would 12 peoples lives be different had i not gotten obliterated at a get together, yanked my peice out and proceded to twirl it around not 1, not 2, but three consecutive times all due to some one telling me i wouldnt really do it.....yeah, thats definatly a better question, how could these people live without such a great drunk story to tell in front of everyone while at parties.....

there was a girl at my school who was at a party and her boyfriend had a gun and he took the clip out and was just fucking around with it. pointed it at her head and pulled the trigger. i guess he didn't know that it loads a bullet into the chamber...

Originally posted by teister:

yeah, funk, soul, r&b

them old blues, shoot we started with rock so wed still be on the rock tip, reggae, who knows. how about back in the day when this all happened, instead of hiphop we came up with something else-some other music form?

Originally posted by seeking innocence:

then theres also the fact that hip hop these days is just about as 'rebelious' as putting too much butter on your mashed potatoes. 90% of the people in the world, regardless of color, are followers. its how life is. whatever.

I'm sayin, everyone thinks that Rage Against the Machine is the way to be politically active, but alot of muthafukas grew up on KRS-1 and PE, most of y'all biotches grew up on Arrested Development... George Bush was Director General of the CIA... the Clash kick ass... Subhumans, GBH...

------------------

2 Can Sam

Originally posted by Fox Mulder:

there was a girl at my school who was at a party and her boyfriend had a gun and he took the clip out and was just fucking around with it. pointed it at her head and pulled the trigger. i guess he didn't know that it loads a bullet into the chamber...

no dude....i meant my penis....i dont fuck around like that

------------------

brick, brick ,brick...thats how i be up against your girlfriends ass...

Guest dukeofyork

whats wrong with wutang???

not my favorite group, but i like their old shit. im more of a fan of older hip hop..

channel live artifacts early hiero...ummm...

leaders of the new school!!! back when busta was good...scenario was and still is one of my favorites..

This is an interesting question, not the ridiculous "what would black kids listen to..." but sort of what seeking had to say right after. No more than what, 30 years ago was the term "nigger" and everythign of the like as normal as "faggot, homo, gay" or anything of the like is today. I wonder if 30 years down the road, the straight kids are going to want to be gay, as the suburban kids want to be thugs nowadays...

you get my point, shut up...

Guest imported_Tesseract

The answer to that question isnt that hard.You sound like there was no black music before rap.Black people always had great music.Now as far as seekings question,i dont get it...Stupid kids would like to be something that they arent in any case.Thats the miracle of POP culture(which by the way can represent 90% of hip hop right now).

Wherever the wind blows...

Anyway thats some racist shit told in here.

I am white(as if i am from Scandivavia)and i am not racist in anyway.I listen to rap and a bunch of other shit,and i dont think i am black.And when it comes to stupid people i prefer them when "cool" for them is being black when white than being "cool racists"

the fubu/exco/southpole/phatgear or whatever wearing thug is way better than the KKK outfit.Or is it the same thing? sometimes i wonder.

i listen to everything. my 3 favorite bands are radio head, the bestie boys, and deftones. any kind of music you listen to i have at least one cd of it. everything from the meters to union underground. thats so fucking rasist giveng white people shit for liking rap. what the fuck its just a kind of music its not like anyone owns it. why cant we all just get along? black or white, its good when anyone supports a type of music. i think refusing to do something or not lking something becasue its cool, is just as bad as riding cockatils and doing it just becasue its cool.

Originally posted by SCOTCH WHISKEO:

My dad listened to the Isley Bros. in the 50's.I listened to the Isley Bros. in the 70's. My Daughter really likes the Isley Bros. new album.

Louis Armstrong is quoted as saying "There is only two kinds of music...GOOD music, and BAD music."

ohhh yeah...footsteps in the dark.. who's that lady.. it's your thing....

I saw the isleys in concert one time -but there was only one isley! just didn't seem right....

keo- send me your email sometime....

the mac..ciatop

Archived