What will happen to jazz?

grandmaster

A strange question I know,but last night I was listening to Jazz and I thought ''who will get into playing the instruments?'' I only know one young person[below 40] that actually plays the drums in a jazz band.And he told me he has never met anyone younger than himself that is into playing Jazz music.

ODD QUESTION I KNOW

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

i know and have known several more people under 25 that were total jazz enthusiasts. usually not in the teen years, but once they get college age, they appreciate it. shit, when i was in high school, i had trouble finding rock drummers, because all the drummers i met wanted to play jazz. there;s just something wrong with where you live.

Guest 87centHitMan

Well, this might be the wrong thing to say if you're a 100% jazz purist, but there's still acid jazz and jazzy house...there's hip-hop with elements of jazz in it. People will probabaly just incorporate elements of old genres of music like that into whatever they're playing nowadays, no matter how different it may be from the original form.

Guest Andy Capp

jazz is very much alive. but you gotta be immersed to see it. i do 1-2 gigs weekly. studyied it in university for a couple years, and will continue to listen and play for years, at least i assume i will.

Guest KING OF HELL

i cant stand that acid, hiphop, house jazz stuff.

fucking hate it.

theres nothing like brubecks take 5 or louis armstrong doing stardust.

check baker singing "everything happens to me"

gene krupa, stan getz, glen miller, arti shaw,ella, billie, oh man...dont get me going .

as far as newer people.. man i know it sounds cheesy but squirrel nut zippers did a decent job, and katherine whalen, the girl singer from said band has a cd called "kathering whalens jazz squad" ..amazing.

a cross between billie holiday and chet baker.

chris thomas king has good old blues.

man fuck the future.

Guest Andy Capp

i say skronk the old stuff thats not going anywhere or changing, love the fresh ideas and inspiration.

take it to new levels.

stuff like kenny wheeler, dave douglas, michael cain ( not the actor ), dave holland, peter erskine, pat metheney, mmw, wayne shorter, coltrane, davis, bill frisell, john abercombie, weather report, herbie hancock, chick corea, peacock, tyner, and the millions more big names and small names.

Guest KING OF HELL

hey im all for those guys doing something fresh, im just saying im not feeling it too much.

the old stuff had something completely humble and exiting about it. and nothing since has had the same feeling.

word.

Originally posted by KING OF HELL

i cant stand that acid, hiphop, house jazz stuff.

fucking hate it.

theres nothing like brubecks take 5 or louis armstrong doing stardust.

check baker singing "everything happens to me"

gene krupa, stan getz, glen miller, arti shaw,ella, billie, oh man...dont get me going .

as far as newer people.. man i know it sounds cheesy but squirrel nut zippers did a decent job, and katherine whalen, the girl singer from said band has a cd called "kathering whalens jazz squad" ..amazing.

a cross between billie holiday and chet baker.

chris thomas king has good old blues.

man fuck the future.

if your talking about that "ninja tune" sound yeha i hear ya man...thats soooo played out..

Good to see some fans of Jazz!

I also cant stand acid jazz type stuff.I think Jazz has always been something you have to have inside knowledge of to understand.I just think that it is one of the most underatted[i hope it stays that way] form of music.

My oldest freinds Dad is a jazz critic so the music has always been around me since I was about 1 year old.

yea, it sux to think that nowadays, jazz isnt as appreciated as it should be. but my man plays the saxophone straight up jazz, b-bop style. hes 25. true, most people (the actual good ones) he knows that are into jazz, are over 50.

charlie parker, coaltrane, sonny stitt, dizzy, stan getz, etc.. those who know, know.

Guest KING OF HELL

i listen pretty religiously to winamp radio. the station is "KIDGLOVES" great big band swing all day.

also, since there doesnt seem to be too much exiting in the realm of hardcore to get me going ive taken to collection old radio shows. comedy, mystery, suspense, sci fi.

but alot of the variety shows like Burns and Allen and Jack Benny have guest stars of jazz fame. Burns and Allen actualy have Artie Shaw as their music director. he does alot of great numbers....plus the humor is fucking sweet.

what can i say. i born to late.

Guest Pilau Hands
winamp radio. the station is "KIDGLOVES" great big band swing all day.

i'm there!

unfortunately the station isnt playing right now :o

but i am touring the rest of winamp. some interseting stuff

JAZZ WILL NEVER DIE

it lives in so many forms. You've got the old stuff that real hip-hop (not hip-pop) people sample from. there's the old school artists that play everything off the top of the head, or with little planning. I love the swing era and the old shit from like the 30s to the 70s. Jazz will never die because it finds so many ways back into peoples ears.

I am assuming that since there are many Blues artists above that you consider blues to be jazz. That said there are many new artists still doing jazz and blues. They just are the flavor of the day and finding their work at the local Sam Goody's isn't easy.

On a side note, my favorite new Blues singer is Johnny Lang. Child prodigy with a whiskey voice.

Archived