Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

What will happen to jazz?

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by grandmaster, Jan 7, 2003.

1. grandmaster

grandmaster Member

A strange question I know,but last night I was listening to Jazz and I thought ''who will get into playing the instruments?'' I only know one young person[below 40] that actually plays the drums in a jazz band.And he told me he has never met anyone younger than himself that is into playing Jazz music.

ODD QUESTION I KNOW

2. bug

bug Guest

i know and have known several more people under 25 that were total jazz enthusiasts. usually not in the teen years, but once they get college age, they appreciate it. shit, when i was in high school, i had trouble finding rock drummers, because all the drummers i met wanted to play jazz. there;s just something wrong with where you live.

3. willy.wonka

willy.wonka Guest

4. grandmaster

grandmaster Member

NO!

5. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

6. 87centHitMan

87centHitMan Guest

Well, this might be the wrong thing to say if you're a 100% jazz purist, but there's still acid jazz and jazzy house...there's hip-hop with elements of jazz in it. People will probabaly just incorporate elements of old genres of music like that into whatever they're playing nowadays, no matter how different it may be from the original form.

7. BigJoe

BigJoe Banned

my good friend is a shit hot jazz bass player...dam jazz is for the suckas in the know man...
    jazz will never die

8. Andy Capp

Andy Capp Guest

jazz is very much alive. but you gotta be immersed to see it. i do 1-2 gigs weekly. studyied it in university for a couple years, and will continue to listen and play for years, at least i assume i will.

9. KING OF HELL

KING OF HELL Guest

i cant stand that acid, hiphop, house jazz stuff.
    fucking hate it.
    theres nothing like brubecks take 5 or louis armstrong doing stardust.
    check baker singing "everything happens to me"
    gene krupa, stan getz, glen miller, arti shaw,ella, billie, oh man...dont get me going .

as far as newer people.. man i know it sounds cheesy but squirrel nut zippers did a decent job, and katherine whalen, the girl singer from said band has a cd called "kathering whalens jazz squad" ..amazing.
    a cross between billie holiday and chet baker.
    chris thomas king has good old blues.

man fuck the future.

10. Andy Capp

Andy Capp Guest

i say skronk the old stuff thats not going anywhere or changing, love the fresh ideas and inspiration.
    take it to new levels.
    stuff like kenny wheeler, dave douglas, michael cain ( not the actor ), dave holland, peter erskine, pat metheney, mmw, wayne shorter, coltrane, davis, bill frisell, john abercombie, weather report, herbie hancock, chick corea, peacock, tyner, and the millions more big names and small names.

11. BigJoe

BigJoe Banned

oh dammm GENE KRUPA kills it..

12. KING OF HELL

KING OF HELL Guest

hey im all for those guys doing something fresh, im just saying im not feeling it too much.
    the old stuff had something completely humble and exiting about it. and nothing since has had the same feeling.

word.

13. BigJoe

BigJoe Banned

Im loving roland kirk at the moment too

14. BigJoe

BigJoe Banned

if your talking about that "ninja tune" sound yeha i hear ya man...thats soooo played out..

15. grandmaster

grandmaster Member

Good to see some fans of Jazz!

I also cant stand acid jazz type stuff.I think Jazz has always been something you have to have inside knowledge of to understand.I just think that it is one of the most underatted[i hope it stays that way] form of music.

My oldest freinds Dad is a jazz critic so the music has always been around me since I was about 1 year old.