WHAT THE EFFF!

I Luv Roo

To the SF and Bay Area toys:

Why the fuck would you go over murals?! Are you jealous of other art or something?

Maybe times have changed alot, but I though graff was all about adding some flavor to a bland, boring, concrete, and stale environment - NOT destroying other public art where people have worked really hard at beautifying a decrepid and decaying urban landscape. When did painting on public murals become everyone's modus operandi? I've seen it so much lately, and when I passed this one spot it really hit me. I'm not just getting old - people are really getting dumb... and dumber... and dumber.

Go out and find your own spots you chicken-shits. Or better yet, go back to Pleasant Hill....

You don't even have the balls to do that, the best you can do is cover murals with your wackass toy throwups - they're not even GOOD!

New jacks... Okay there are rules. One of them is to not bomb churches. The other is to avoid hitting people's homes. The OTHER ONE IS TO LEAVE PUBLIC ART ALONE. When you paint over murals, even if you think they are ugly, you get everyone one the cop's and city's side. They will work alot harder to strengthen the abatement of graffiti, therefore your stupidity will anger other writers, who will hopefully catch you and kick your ass. I know I would...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest jeff123456
Originally posted by I Luv Roo

To the SF and Bay Area toys:

Why the fuck would you go over murals?! Are you jealous of other art or something?

Maybe times have changed alot, but I though graff was all about adding some flavor to a bland, boring, concrete, and stale environment - NOT destroying other public art where people have worked really hard at beautifying a decrepid and decaying urban landscape. When did painting on public murals become everyone's modus operandi? I've seen it so much lately, and when I passed this one spot it really hit me. I'm not just getting old - people are really getting dumb... and dumber... and dumber.

Go out and find your own spots you chicken-shits. Or better yet, go back to Pleasant Hill....

You don't even have the balls to do that, the best you can do is cover murals with your wackass toy throwups - they're not even GOOD!

New jacks... Okay there are rules. One of them is to not bomb churches. The other is to avoid hitting people's homes. The OTHER ONE IS TO LEAVE PUBLIC ART ALONE. When you paint over murals, even if you think they are ugly, you get everyone one the cop's and city's side. They will work alot harder to strengthen the abatement of graffiti, therefore your stupidity will anger other writers, who will hopefully catch you and kick your ass. I know I would...

if it was a mural on a tatoo shop or something then thats pretty fucking gay but if its a mural on a school or something then ur the fag...

Guest ctrl+alt+del

to try to make some sense of what jeff was saying, i am here to translate from incorrect english to somewhat understandable english.

"If the mural in question was done on a Tattoo shop, then it is horrible what these inexperienced fools have done to it, however, if it was done on a School or such, then you, my friend, are the fool."

now please folks, i am but a translator, these thoughts are not my own nor are my thoughts reflected in this statement. i am just providing a service to you, the reader.

Guest ctrl+alt+del

Re: hmm...

Originally posted by expansionAE

i dont really know man.. i cant say anything. i aint from there

pure pointless crap.

anyways,

when i first read roo's post, i thought he was talking about graff murals, but he must mean all public legal murals. what are your thoughts on murals done on underpasses as a means to deter graff from that wall? it seams to work in my city, i dont bother with that stuff. its all organized by community centers and they have little 7 year olds down their painting their funny pictures. i dont like the thought of a mural to stop graff, but im not gonna mess some little kids picture up, i think its cool, there expressing themselves just like me.

this post sucks. but i understand.

there are clearly two sides to this story.

one in support of public art that is probably city funded and the other is in support of wrecking every thing, including a city paid mural.

i say if the shit sucks, go over it.

key example: in the early early 90s in Justin Herman Plaza in San Francisco's Embarcadero, Bono, from the world famous band U2, took a red spray paint can and on this ugly public fountain painted the word BONO. Now that dude had the right idea. The fountain is ugly. The fountain was city funded. The fountain should be blown up. case closed.

I think it really depends on what is actually being painted over.

Just like the usual scenario of a tag gets gone over with a piece. And someone shouldn't really paint over someone if they are worse.

If you can do it better, do it.

Blee blah blah bloo blah. www.hifiart.com

The particular murals I'm specifically referring to are actually, in my opinion, not that great, and they may have been getting tagged over and over for years. But the most recent toy shit on top of it was wack as fuck. Also my point is that these new jacks who wanna bomb and get ups and all that try too fucking hard, but they're also too chicken-shit to go out and creatively find good spots for themselves.

Even underpass murals are better than just a grey wall. Someone, who ever it was, put their time and energy into at least trying to make it nice (even if they aren't very successful)...

I bet those toys would hunt me down if I did so much as cross out one itty bitty tag of theirs.

graff is so full of hypocrisy.

fuck all murals. if the person who painted is dead, then I can see a reason to riff. But Most every mural sucks, and I had thousands of things gone over, who the fuck cares if some lame muralist gets their shit gone over. because it is a mural doesnt make it any better than graff.

look how dope the gkae over that mural in LA was.

"I Luv Roo" probably had a hand in some gay mural and now has his feelings hurt because it got ragged..

How come SF has all those shitty mexican murals that look exactly the same all over the fucking place. The best part is that they were done by a jew who married a mexican to get a last name that was ok with "la Raza"...

boo hoo

Originally posted by Dissent

fuck all murals. if the person who painted is dead, then I can see a reason to riff. But Most every mural sucks, and I had thousands of things gone over, who the fuck cares if some lame muralist gets their shit gone over. because it is a mural doesnt make it any better than graff.

i could quote almost everyone in this thread and say they are wrong, but I'll just stick with this post to keep it short...

How can you say "fuck all murals...most murals suck"?

You may think most murals suck, but a lot of people (including graffiti writers and civilians) would say that most graff sucks.

Graff breaks up the overall community and alienates people. (Don't say it doesn't because the majority of the graffiti audience are graffiti writers and vandal squad, not the community). Graffiti is usually done in neighborhoods that have too many problems to deal with something little like graffiti. Why don't you go fuck up rich neighborhoods that can afford to do something about it? Cause you know you'll get caught quicker and you're shit will get buffed.

Meanwhile, these murals are done by organized community members. There is a message, a sense of community, and a broader audience than graffiti has. If you have a problem with that, maybe you should try to open up your mind to things outside of your narrow graffiti "sub-culture."

Sure, a lot of the murals suck, but if you think you can do better, than why don't you organize a mural on a different wall and then paint a better mural. There is no reason to paint your shitty (or good) graffiti over someone else's mural. There is not a shortage of walls. And if you object to doing a legal mural or using brush paint, then rock an illegal burner nearby that steals all the attention from the mural. You don't have to destroy someone else's shit in order to make the point that you are better. You can prove that in other ways if it's that important for you to prove.

Obviously, you may make exceptions to stamp out political or propaganda-filled messages and other personally objectionable murals. I'm just saying to try using discretion and keep an open mind. Don't just go over a mural because you don't appreciate it's asthetic value or because it's "not graffiti." That's lame, fucko.

Originally posted by KASTsystem

I'm just saying to try using discretion and keep an open mind. Don't just go over a mural because you don't appreciate it's asthetic value or because it's "not graffiti." That's lame, fucko.

Go hug a tree with this hands across america lecture.

Originally posted by vinyl junkie

[b... also, if you went over any of the murals at my tattoo shop, i'd kick yer fucking ass... [/b]

FOR REAL...... we beat the shit out of a kid cause he pen tagged our tat shop. It wouldn't have been so bad but he put it right on our front door. Punk ass bitch.

Oh yeah..... your gay and a fag consistently.......... hahhaha

CAPS..... I love to tat2 my nuts.

art is a living thing...it must interact with the environment it is surrounded in..and if it happens to acquire a new coat of paint, a new coat of colors in different shapes and lines, so be it. If the original artist who painted it cares so much, he or she will return and restore it to it's original state.If not, oh well...this is part of doing public art..if you want your shit to be safe, keep it in private and away from the streets.

Survival of the fittest...plain and simple.

Go over everything...everywhere....now!!!!!

nobody should anything unremovable over someone else's art unless they want some serious beef. Throw-ups and tags that are done over somebody's piece is really bogus..right up there with bombing someone's car, house or church..don't do that shit unless you want a fight ya know? I doubt these quote unquote toys wanted beef with whoever put up the mural but were rather just being ignorant , obnoxious fools who knew no better. I know one thing tho...bitching about it online isn't going to do shit but possibly (and this is a small possibility) deter other 'toys' from doing that isht moreso.

Murals/Sponsored public art is ill because you don't have to worry about the law...the only bad thing is you can't control the extent of your creativity and vision for the piece. Not like most of you dickless graff writers would let someone be creative anyway...after all, if they aren't doing what you're doing they're a 'toy'..and if they are doing what you're doing they're a biter.

Originally posted by Dissent

Go hug a tree with this hands across america lecture.

First of all I don't give a damn about "hands across america" or doing things for the sole purpose of the considering the public's "best interests." I do for self...but that doesn't mean I don't put any thought into the impact of my actions.

With that said, if you want to be a jackass and go over people's murals, I can't stop you. But I can still call you a jackass for it. All I'm saying is for you to think about what you are doing and it's possible ramifications. If you want to cause beef, bring down the heat on writers, and diss your community go ahead. At least if you think about it first and still decide to go through with something like painting over a mural, you can possibly have a good justification for it instead of merely being a jackass.

art is a living thing...it must interact with the environment it is surrounded in..and if it happens to acquire a new coat of paint, a new coat of colors in different shapes and lines, so be it. If the original artist who painted it cares so much, he or she will return and restore it to it's original state.If not, oh well...this is part of doing public art..if you want your shit to be safe, keep it in private and away from the streets.

YEAH

art is a living thing...it must interact with the environment it is surrounded in..and if it happens to acquire a new coat of paint, a new

coat of colors in different shapes and lines, so be it. If the original artist who painted it cares so much, he or she will return and

restore it to it's original state.If not, oh well...this is part of doing public art..if you want your shit to be safe, keep it in private and

away from the streets.

Archived