What Makes U Old School?

etc.com

:confused: OK, here it goes to all the old schoolrs, I want to know how many years does it take to become old school? Now if your old school and don't do shit for graffitti what gives you the right to still claim walls or names?

This is not to bash any favorites, but to start a thread that gets a sense of whats inside an old school mind.

I respect all the old school graff writers/artist that have contribute to the cause and struggle.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Call me a lunatic, but I've thought about this.

To me, you either are or you aren't. You don't grow into it. The period covered by "Old school" doesn't keep growing in relation to the culture as a whole, if it did the phrase wouldn't mean anything. I started writing seriously before some people on this board were born and I don't call myself "Old School." Why? I used the term myself back in the day to describe people that came before me, so how could I, just by growing older suddenly become one of those people? Basically, if you were aware of an "Old School" existing, then you aren't it.

i ama wearing Puma baskets with fat laces...

i say the word fresh, even when not relating to greengrocers wears...

and i know the first 3 lines from beat street and sometimes ponder the fact of whatever happened to Double K..

hence all these factors conglomerate resulting in the fact that i am old school..... :P

beat street breakdown, rah!!!

beat street, the king of the beat

you see me rockin that beat from across the street

beat street is a lesson too because you cant let the streets beat you.

i can do the whole song if you like, aswell as the message, most of the full version of rappers delight, and a whole heap more.

I LOVE OLD SCHOOL

Originally posted by Boring Bastard

Have you been writing actively for atleast four years??

Then more than likely you are "old-school" to a certain degree..............;)

i hope that wink means you're joking, four years. i'll give you the credit and assume you're making fun of this whole topic...

Originally posted by mud_buddha

Call me a lunatic, but I've thought about this.

Why? I used the term myself back in the day to describe people that came before me, so how could I, just by growing older suddenly become one of those people? Basically, if you were aware of an "Old School" existing, then you aren't it.

no O , but then isnt under this train of thought no one is old school.....

bc to everyone there was something / someone b4 them , thus nobody is old school........oh well who cares

OLD SCHOOL....well i think for example in my city in australia where i live,graff has only been here since like 1982,and i started in 1986 so i am what i know for sure is 2nd generation in my city,so i'm not the original old school from my city,but i came up after the old schoolers where dying out after a short 3-5 year stint only! fuck i been in da game now for 17 years and for all you dickheads out there no i havent ben doing these blocky ivo things for that many years,heres some fliks of the stuff i used to do around 1991 where i think i earned my fame since 1986!!!!http://freephoto-i.net/users/ivos/021.jpg'>

i used to write "diagram" b4 i started writing "ivo" in very late 1998 and went from doing traditional graff style (which bores me to death) to painting my blocky things that everyone gets annoyed at!!!! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....love it or hate it you will always remember a 'ivo' piece whether you like it or not,but my old style just blends in with the million of writers around the world!

75mm wheels, bonite, freestyle vs. street, power slides, fingerless gloves, no comply, hot pink, blondisma bangs, thrashin', bones birgade, allen g and the ollie, chin, santa monica airlines....

tiny wheels, huge dirty pants, tshirts to your knees, slick decks, slowtech., pressure flips...

you're there or you're not.

"OLD SCHOOL" is a relative term. Some kids call me old school, there are definatly dudes I consider old school, and when I talk to them they talk about the dudes that they came up looking at. Just like how when I am feeling old some great-grandfather calls me a youngster. It's all your point of view. I have had long talks with STAY-HIGH 149 and LSD3 amongst others, and there was always someone to inspire them. This movement is barely 33 years old, how old school can you really be?

Archived