Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

What Makes U Old School?

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by etc.com, Jan 15, 2002.

1. etc.com

etc.com Member

:confused: OK, here it goes to all the old schoolrs, I want to know how many years does it take to become old school? Now if your old school and don't do shit for graffitti what gives you the right to still claim walls or names?
    This is not to bash any favorites, but to start a thread that gets a sense of whats inside an old school mind.
    I respect all the old school graff writers/artist that have contribute to the cause and struggle.

2. graffsurgeon

graffsurgeon Banned

you were up when graff was at its prime.

3. mud_buddha

mud_buddha Senior Member

Call me a lunatic, but I've thought about this.

To me, you either are or you aren't. You don't grow into it. The period covered by "Old school" doesn't keep growing in relation to the culture as a whole, if it did the phrase wouldn't mean anything. I started writing seriously before some people on this board were born and I don't call myself "Old School." Why? I used the term myself back in the day to describe people that came before me, so how could I, just by growing older suddenly become one of those people? Basically, if you were aware of an "Old School" existing, then you aren't it.

4. old_soul

old_soul New Jack

It's hard to define old school. I've been writing since the early eighties & consider myself old school. However I'm not Old School like them cats from the seventies. I guess it's all relative. Maybe it's a generation thing.

5. dirtysicks

dirtysicks Senior Member

Who cares..............fuck old school.

6. Boring Bastard

Boring Bastard Elite Member

Can you school the newbies on the history of your city from jump??
    Do you know the cats that you are talking about when you talk about those before you? Have you been writing actively for atleast four years??
    Then more than likely you are "old-school" to a certain degree..............;)

7. smeoo

smeoo Senior Member

i ama wearing Puma baskets with fat laces...
    i say the word fresh, even when not relating to greengrocers wears...
    and i know the first 3 lines from beat street and sometimes ponder the fact of whatever happened to Double K..
    hence all these factors conglomerate resulting in the fact that i am old school..... :p

8. Ms.Bombastic

Ms.Bombastic Member

Old skool is thing of the past....

I wish these cats would stop worrying about how they can acquire "legend" status...or what makes them eligible for it...

9. SersOne-NRS

SersOne-NRS New Jack

you cant see yourself as old school but you have to be seen by people after you as old school.....you really have nothing to do with it, just as people after you see you

10. imported_! Hoes Get Sex !

imported_! Hoes Get Sex ! Banned

you have a pair of lee striped jeans and rock a bomber jacket and say funky fresh, and def alot. Oh and you and stay high 149 are ol' bomb'n partners.

11. PISS ONE

PISS ONE Member

beat street breakdown, rah!!!
    beat street, the king of the beat
    you see me rockin that beat from across the street
    beat street is a lesson too because you cant let the streets beat you.

i can do the whole song if you like, aswell as the message, most of the full version of rappers delight, and a whole heap more.

I LOVE OLD SCHOOL

12. bigguy

bigguy Senior Member

This is Beautifful!

13. metallix

metallix Elite Member

what the hell. old school is old school. new jacks are new jacks.

14. GrImeY

GrImeY Junior Member

Adidas Jumpsuits and neon colors dun.