What kinda Computer?

Ok I need a new computer, I need it to be able to edit video, be good for graphic design, and burn cds/dvds. What would be good? I want atleast a 40gig harddrive. Also, Mac or PC? I have a nasty ass PC right now. I am looking to pay $1500 at the most. Any Suggestions?

Also, my friend was tellign about some kinda computers called, "Alien Wearz" or something, I was unable to find info on them, help would be nice.

------------------

Girls suck.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

um, i highly doubt you will find a nice somewhat current powermac for $1500.......my advice would be to go with mac though.......but whatever you're more comfortable with........you're into super 8??? how are you gonna get that onto your computer?

you should also keep in mind that there are things like Max/NATO out there(for mac).....here's a link to the future of video art.... http://www.audiovisualizers.com/toolshak/v...x/nato/nato.htm http://www.audiovisualizers.com/toolshak/v...atoworkshop.mov

this link gives you a nice fat quicktime vid to watch....a workshop with experts......

this shit is powerful.

Thansk for the info and such, I'm looking into Macs, they seem to be what I am looking for.

About the Super 8, it's pain in the ass to edit it on your computer, and too expensive. I used to do it at school. I get the Super 8 film, develope it and transfer it to VHS, then from VHS I transfer it to Mini Dv then slap the bitch in trv-11 and put it on the computer. It's cost to much to put it on VHS then on Mini DV so normally I just go over to the university and for like $3.50 an hour they let me use their film lab and editing jazz.

I shoot on Super 8 and Mini DV.

------------------

Girls suck.

Originally posted by Jankie:

You can't burn DVD's

really? then go here http://search.shopping.yahoo.com/search/al...ner%22&cl=dmiyg and let them know they are selling somthing that doesnt exist. oh, and stop by apple's website and tell them the DVD/CD burner that they bundle with some powermac G4s doesnt exist either...I'm sure they wanna get that all straightened out...

You can't burn DVD's

Originally posted by ese:

really? then go here http://search.shopping.yahoo.com/search/al...ner%22&cl=dmiyg and let them know they are selling somthing that doesnt exist. oh, and stop by apple's website and tell them the DVD/CD burner that they bundle with some powermac G4s doesnt exist either...I'm sure they wanna get that all straightened out...

lol

------------------

"So analyze me surprise me but cant magmatize me"

-nas

i thought dvd's were coded so you couldn't copy them?

you think people only want to copy dvd's

many people want a dvd burner to take advantage of the larger storage capacity of the dvd. as far as dvds being coded so you cant copy them...i wouldnt know about that....

Guest kOmega

i hve a pOwer mac G4 at it works just fine had it on for about 3 months straight now and only had to reboot once and that was cuz i installed photo shop and illustrator..

but yah G4's all the way but i doubt youll find one for 1500$ they are pricy..

mine was 9 G's but i got the werks and a good deal..but i doubt youll need all the things it has..

peace

Mac..s

Guest kOmega

DVD/CD BURNER means it sa dvd and a burner in one..

doesnt mean it burns DVD's..

but you can uncode the DVD's but it takes about 3 gigs of your drive then you have to compress it to make it fit on a cd..

its called divix or sumthing ..i think

dvd ripper..

peace

Originally posted by kOmega:

but you can uncode the DVD's but it takes about 3 gigs of your drive then you have to compress it to make it fit on a cd..

dvd ripper..

peace

ive seen actual dvd burners before so they do exist.

Originally posted by kOmega:

dvd ripper..

peace

the one I was refering to was a DVD and CD burner....I just put DVD/CD Burner because I thought most people would get what I meant. Now that I've gone back to the link it doesnt yield any results...strange...when I posted it linked to a yamaha one...along with some accesiories...

• 3 months later...

I have a Sony Viao... not the laptop... the desktop model. I love it a lot and the USB port is in the front... easy to get to get pictures off a digital camera.

I've been really really happy with it. It needs a little more RAM, but besides that... I work it hard. I keep Photoshop, Image Ready, Illustrator, and my regular AIM and WINamp running and it doesn't crash still.

I love Sony. I like the Viao.

Mac's all the way. $1500 might be pushing it though.....you will barely be able to get the harddrive for that. (one that does all the stuff you want anyways...the DVD burner alone will run you around $500 bucks, monitor, another$500.) but look around, i havent been in the market for a new computer in a bit, so things might have changed a little. the new imacs are kick ass and they can have all those goodies...(although ytou cant really upgrade them too much and the monitor is small, but theyre great for the price)

Sound like some of yall are confused.

Well, yes, there is a dvd burner....it may burn regular cds, but it also burns dvds....I think a dvd holds something like 7 gigs of memory as opposed to .7 gigs that a regular cd holds....just think of putting 20 albums of music on one dvd and playing it in your set top box....aaaahhhh, or burning full length movies you downloaded off of direct connect and watching them in full surround...someone is mistaken, because these things do exist..

As the ideal computer...I would say get a pc...get a fast processor, at least 1ghz...get a lot of ram, at least 512M, because ram is cheap now...most importantly get a good graphics card, make sure that it has digital inputs or whatever so that you can connect your equipmnet up....that is going to make the biggest difference, the quality of your graphics card....if you get a crappy one it could choke on trying to play shit. You could probably hook that up for around $1500.

Also, Mac's are, for one, expensive, and, for two, proprietary...which means that they are having their own party, and pc users aren't invited...don't confuse yourself and learn something that doesn't matter, stick with pcs. And for anyone that wants to flame me for hatin' on macs, just chill, cause it's my opinion...I'm sure you have yours. Hope this helps.

Guest HESHIANDET

"mac man"

dude for what your looking for you really need to get on a mac. especially if your editing video. by the time you configure a p.c. w/ a decent video card and firewire ports your gonna be looking in the same price range as a mac. since mac just recently released a new g4 (purely cosmetic. except for the speaker) you can come across a g4 for under $2000. im sure of it. try www.zones.com and www.macworld.com. get on their mailing lists and get the sale circulars, fuggedaboutit.

If I were you, I'd definitely look in to a Mac...things are great with graphics...real pretty computers too...now if they could only make a stable operating system that doesnt crash all the time =)

until that day comes, I'll buy one...

I'd like the titanium ibook or whatever it is...PIMP!

as for a DVD burner...get that shit...hella storage...I'd love to have one, but I'm an everyday pc user with Microsoft 2000 (i've had up to 3 weeks of having it on without rebooting..)

back up your whole fuckin computer on 3 dvd's would be sweet

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller

now if they could only make a stable operating system that doesnt crash all the time =)

OS 9 and above barely ever crashes, and os 10 is off the charts stabble, I don't know what you're talking about...

hesh is completely right too. I've seen g4's as low as $1800 nowadays..

as far as mac having their own party and inviting nobody else...?? OS 10 is built on a unix platform, which is what most pcs are built on. So technically speaking, a mac can actually talk to a pc now. It's the pc that is now falling behind.

Originally posted by bigpoppa.k

OS 10 is built on a unix platform, which is what most pcs are built on. So technically speaking, a mac can actually talk to a pc now. It's the pc that is now falling behind.

You, technically, could always network with a mac using AppleTalk on linux. PCs are not falling behind, and most pcs are not built on a unix platform...(ie. Windows) C'mon, do your homework. Macs Vs. PCs is a religious battle.

Originally posted by --zeSto--

the new iBook (mac duh)

has a cd-rw/dvd-r for only 1700$

It's the sexiest book.. next to the tiG4.

nope, try a dvd/cd-rw. which means it's a dvd drive, that also burns cd's.

yes they make dvd burners, but thats not it. and yes, dvd's are encoded, but as someone said, you dont get a dvd burner to copy dvd's, you get it to make your own. either for storage, or to straight up make your own video dvd's. and as komega said, yes you can also get software that lets you copy them, but its a pain in the ass.

seeking/where the fucks my camera?

Archived