What ever happened to...

Jewish Task Force

What ever happened to finding shit out on your own? When I first started writing there was no internet, there were no magaiznes, there were no mailorder or walk in shops for graff shit. I mean, I had more fun trying new pens, inks, paints, etc. than actually doing the graff. now you have all these kids coming on here and asking questions, ordering pre packaged graffiti shit, reading mags(no disrespect to mags), and reading books(no diss either). I didnt find out about any books or videos until I had been writing for about 5 years. Its great that kids are getting into graff because of these things, dont get me wrong, but I mean cmon, find out about shit on yur own, please. It just makes you love and appreciate graffiti just that much more. Just dont ask dumb questions, if you are wondering how something works or how to make something, try it. Hey, who knows, in the process you might learn something new. It seems like that integral part of graffiti is going away.

On a side note: If you have all the best markers, paints, caps, inks, etc. It doesnt make you a better writer. You cant buy skill. You still have to put in work and do graffiti. That is the only thing that will make you better. Dedication, time, skill and a love for what you are doing.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest SE4_2002

Well put...What annoy`s me is kids that think it`s a cool thing to do so they pick a tin up paint for a year then give up, I blame these kiddie`s for the state of London Bridge trax, diaFUCKINbolical..Another thing that annoy`s me is when they keep using the word"GRAFFIN" makes me cringe every time I hear it!

Guest catwash

just youngsters trying to look bad amongst their bad friends, going out with a tin of flouro montana and making the area look like shit. What makes them go for the flourescent colours? Is it the same everywhere?

And 'graffin', don't even get me started... untuck your fucking tracksuit and wear your fucking cap properly!

Guest imported_b0b

I think the trouble with the "pre-packaged" graf stuff is that it allows people to dabble in graf more easily, whereas before it was a lot harder to find stuff out and you had to be a lot more commited and inquisative (sp?). Due to the dabbling being easier people stop after a short while, whereas before they would still be on the learning curve.

Guest sneak
Originally posted by catwash

just youngsters trying to look bad amongst their bad friends, going out with a tin of flouro montana and making the area look like shit. What makes them go for the flourescent colours? Is it the same everywhere?

And 'graffin', don't even get me started... untuck your fucking tracksuit and wear your fucking cap properly!

so fucking true. u from the uk? cos i didnt think the dicks with their tracksuits tucked into their socks and caps at shit angles had spread over seas

Guest catwash
Originally posted by sneak

u from the uk? cos i didnt think the dicks with their tracksuits tucked into their socks and caps at shit angles had spread over seas

yep i'm uk. dunno if the tracksuits have spread yet but it's only a matter of time!

JTF

i agree..it has gotten ridiculous

it seems as though the information age has taken all the hard work, and fun, out of learning things for yourself..

but as far as how all that applies to graf, i still belief that all this discussion, all the flicks and sketches and feedback still cannot be a substitute for true skill and dedication

the inherent risks in graffiti will hopefully keep the respect in the hands of the talented and determined

the internet has no street credibility

and all of the 'real' writers know that..

Guest sneak

yep i'm uk. dunno if the tracksuits have spread yet but it's only a matter of time!

why do they think they look good like that????

that is exactly true . there is something about toys and flourescent colors

Guest socrates

Does anyone remember high school when there used not be as many out for fame writers and there was like one big ass crew that was based off drinking and partying and then would go out and paint, that was the best.

Originally posted by space

yea its good to learn on yer own... definitely would speed up yer progress tho if you had ppl to learn from. sometimes its easier with others pushin you to get to that next level.

Well, those people you learn from should be your freinds that you are coming up with or older, wiser writers. Not people on the internet.

times have changed. it sucks, but it cant stay the same forever. its just like skater's nailing rollerskate wheels to a 2x4 getting pissed because skating went mainstream in the 80's, and its like us 80's skaters mad about tony hawk being on a wheaties box.

basically, times have changed. if you were there for the glory days then you are lucky. but complaining wont turn back time.

my advice is to grab some paint and "DO IT FOR THE CAUSE"

I still love trying out new markers and caps. New brands of paint are even better, especially when they come in funny colors.

Guest socrates
Originally posted by DISCO BRYSO

socrates, whatever happened to the "party crew" that everyone hated and came before the one you're referring to. Really Stupid. any of them still writing, or trying to at least?

p.s. I don't think it's too late to re-live our high school years.

I don't really remember much of the high school, ohh wait I rememner why.

Guest socrates

DISCO: Which one are you thinking of, I'm pretty sure I was referring to my quazi crew.

Maybe those fat drunk kids??

Guest 87centHitMan

When you just ask too many questions on the net, you're not having any kind of individuality, you're just taking the easy way out and doing it just like every other idiot kid that doesen't have a clue as to what they're doing. The best way to learn is on your own, or at least not off of the damn internet. When you do that, you're just taking the easy way out and listening to what other people are telling you to do instead of FIGURING IT OUT by using some sense and just thinking about it. When I got started doing shit, it was because me and a friend were really influenced by these writers that owned my town for a while. We didn't know them or anyone else that ever did graff and boy did we suck some ass...We had no fucking idea as to what graff was really about, we just followed that natural instinct to write on shit. But after a while, we learned our shit and knew what was up. If you do it yourself, you'll have your own unique knowledge and experience to drop on everyone else instead of some shit that someone told you over a message board on the internet. So quit asking stupid questions, fuckers!! People wouldn't call you toy of you actually try to do it yourself...

Archived