Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

What ever happened to...

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by Jewish Task Force, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Jewish Task Force

Jewish Task Force Senior Member

What ever happened to finding shit out on your own? When I first started writing there was no internet, there were no magaiznes, there were no mailorder or walk in shops for graff shit. I mean, I had more fun trying new pens, inks, paints, etc. than actually doing the graff. now you have all these kids coming on here and asking questions, ordering pre packaged graffiti shit, reading mags(no disrespect to mags), and reading books(no diss either). I didnt find out about any books or videos until I had been writing for about 5 years. Its great that kids are getting into graff because of these things, dont get me wrong, but I mean cmon, find out about shit on yur own, please. It just makes you love and appreciate graffiti just that much more. Just dont ask dumb questions, if you are wondering how something works or how to make something, try it. Hey, who knows, in the process you might learn something new. It seems like that integral part of graffiti is going away.

On a side note: If you have all the best markers, paints, caps, inks, etc. It doesnt make you a better writer. You cant buy skill. You still have to put in work and do graffiti. That is the only thing that will make you better. Dedication, time, skill and a love for what you are doing.

2. SE4_2002

SE4_2002 Guest

Well put...What annoy`s me is kids that think it`s a cool thing to do so they pick a tin up paint for a year then give up, I blame these kiddie`s for the state of London Bridge trax, diaFUCKINbolical..Another thing that annoy`s me is when they keep using the word"GRAFFIN" makes me cringe every time I hear it!

3. catwash

catwash Guest

just youngsters trying to look bad amongst their bad friends, going out with a tin of flouro montana and making the area look like shit. What makes them go for the flourescent colours? Is it the same everywhere?

And 'graffin', don't even get me started... untuck your fucking tracksuit and wear your fucking cap properly!

4. Jewish Task Force

5. imported_b0b

imported_b0b Guest

I think the trouble with the "pre-packaged" graf stuff is that it allows people to dabble in graf more easily, whereas before it was a lot harder to find stuff out and you had to be a lot more commited and inquisative (sp?). Due to the dabbling being easier people stop after a short while, whereas before they would still be on the learning curve.

6. sneak

sneak Guest

so fucking true. u from the uk? cos i didnt think the dicks with their tracksuits tucked into their socks and caps at shit angles had spread over seas

7. catwash

catwash Guest

yep i'm uk. dunno if the tracksuits have spread yet but it's only a matter of time!

8. Are2

Are2 Guest

JTF

i agree..it has gotten ridiculous
    it seems as though the information age has taken all the hard work, and fun, out of learning things for yourself..

but as far as how all that applies to graf, i still belief that all this discussion, all the flicks and sketches and feedback still cannot be a substitute for true skill and dedication

the inherent risks in graffiti will hopefully keep the respect in the hands of the talented and determined
    the internet has no street credibility

and all of the 'real' writers know that..

9. sneak

sneak Guest

why do they think they look good like that????

10. .R.

.R. Junior Member

Definitly, finding shit out for yourself makes it all worthwhile, the feeling you get when u no you did somethin without anyones help is dope,

11. hbg

hbg New Jack

that is exactly true . there is something about toys and flourescent colors

12. Jewish Task Force

13. space

space Member

yea its good to learn on yer own... definitely would speed up yer progress tho if you had ppl to learn from. sometimes its easier with others pushin you to get to that next level.

14. socrates

socrates Guest

Does anyone remember high school when there used not be as many out for fame writers and there was like one big ass crew that was based off drinking and partying and then would go out and paint, that was the best.

15. Jewish Task Force

Well, those people you learn from should be your freinds that you are coming up with or older, wiser writers. Not people on the internet.