Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

What do you WRITE?????

Discussion in 'Third Rail' started by fiberoptical, Nov 14, 2001.

1. fiberoptical

fiberoptical New Jack

So I was thinking about what I could do to further graff..to push the envelope for myself...and my standards..but also for the writers as a whole. What steps could I take to further the ideas and concepts of writing?. Is their a direction that writing can go in?.A final destination for the movement as a whole to get to?.I was contemplating the power of writing..and the impact it has on society.I know it is alienating to many and no further thought goes into seeing a tag, or a fill, or a piece, than just going.."what does it say?"..in a condescendig and dismissive tone...that it's aesthetic is null, that it is removed from them..has no relationship to them.Yet is writing meant to be accepted by the public as a means of communication, or just an expression of rebellion? I think it is both..one in the same so to speak..and if we are wanting to reach a larger audience, what steps do we take? Of course, we may be labelled as sellouts, etc...by a core of "real" writers..but I think this is something we should all look at. When one has the chance to approach a large audience..which as writers, we do have the public in our grasp...what are we saying?..what, if anything, are we attempting to convey? I am victim of the gratification of ego..name and crew..and that is usually the extent of it. As I have gotten older, I have been somewhat bored with that and want to branch out a bit..in terms of getting up...at least. What do I say..how do I say it...what are the end results...and does it work...how do I know if it worked...what are the responses from a larger group of people than just writers?..These are all questions I have.
    Maybe if we all asked ourselves a few of these questions, we may notice a change in the look and feel of our works..and we may have the chance at really impacting the masses in a way society is not ready for.
    We all use the same means as do corporations of getting our names to be the ones you all know...repeat and pound it into the masses...just think if we had a reason behind it. A push for the people to recognize the oppression of their minds..to turn off the TV for once, and go out and talk to a stranger..to meet and get back to people....and not be weary of ourselves. As technology advances, it was hoped years ago to give the person more free time..to enhance ones knowledge, to nurture the individual..to strengthen society and it's people.It has done the opposite.We are far more alienated from ourselves thn ever before...we are afraid of each other and beleive in ficticous enemies created my our media for the benefit of a few. The media dominates culture, and has essentially destroyed it.We need to take our media back..we should be our own media...we are our own media..people listen to writing..they read it..Where do we go from here? How much power do you want to hold...who can take the weight?.
    As we are in the midst of a war, and terrorism is reducing our freedoms, we should be weary of the media.We should be exercising our liberties while we can.We in America, are the symbol fro freedom for the world...while here you realize that we are not as free as thought, but we are closer than most.We should push this fact..push it further....go out and write on something...but also write something...something that will make an impact...and then sign your name and crew....so we know who to give credit to when the games really begin.

:king:

2. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del Guest

uhhh?

truthfully i get so tired of this unity shit.

3. tue skinny

tue skinny Elite Member

unity sucks oh and i write splash i work at the station in downto wn !#$@$#$!%@#$^ abd i arr35t writers for a living.

4. bigguy

bigguy Senior Member

mr bo jangles!

5. (ence

(ence Guest

Its nice to see your unrealistic enthusiasm and inspiration that all writers have when they first start out, i don't wann ruin that. you make some valid points. i see you have a lot of questions and you need some direction in your graffiti writing...well yes it seems like graffiti is a very powerful medium, but it is not supposed to be there, that is why it works. works for what? to influence and educate, or at least communicate? no, to piss people off. thats right, in the real world graffiti just pisses people off.
    you gotta decide what you want graffiti to be for you, a way to vent your anger?, a new art to excel at? a form of rebellion? just a dark secret? a way to be cool and popular on 12ozprophet?, or a way to engage in some culture jamming? i can tell you want your graffiti to be meaningful, but for the most part it isn't, and never will be. Graffiti is just a harbinger of apathy and frustration for most writers, and most adults see it as "gangster vandalism".
    so you talk about the media, and its impact on culture... You need to read "Culture Jam" by Kalle Lasn if you haven't already and then you can talk about media's impact on culture and come up with your own agenda on how to change it (take it back from the control of corporations and return it to the people). then you accomplish something, don't expect graffiti to do it for all you, its mostly just fun...
    keep gettin up

6. tue skinny

tue skinny Elite Member

writing is a joy. its fun . i like it . its dope

7. Remy Martin

Remy Martin Guest

RRRRRRRRRRRRR:::::::::
    RRRRRRRRRRRRR::::::::
    RRR::::::::::RRR::::::::
    RRR::::::::::RRR::::::::
    RRR::::::::::RRR:::::::::
    RRRRRRRRRRR:::::::
    RRR:::::: RRR:::::
    RRR:::::::::RRR:::::
    RRR::::::::::RRR::::::
    RRR:::::::::::RRR::::::
    RRR:::::::::::::RRR:::::::
    RRR:::::::::::::::RRR:::::::
    RRRR::::::::::::RRRRRR::::::

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:::::::::::
    EEEE:::::::
    EEEEEEEEEEEEE::::::::
    EEEEEEEEEEEEE::::::::
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:::::::::::
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:::::::::::

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:::::::::::::
    MMM::::::MM::::::::MMM::::::::::::::
    MMM::::::MM::::::::MMM:::::::::::::::
    MMM::::::MM::::::::MMM :::::::::::::
    MMM::::::MM::::::::MMM:::::::::::::;
    MMM:::::: MMM:::::::::::::::

YYYY::::::::: YYYY::::::::::
    YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY::::::::::
    YYYYY::::::::::
    YYYYYYYYYYYYY:::::::::::::

8. tue skinny

tue skinny Elite Member

9. Kreature

Kreature Member

10. Kreature

Kreature Member

someone tell the cop to shut up

11. T.T Boy

T.T Boy Dirty Dozen Crew

i write azerbajanonertwoskithreezyninercopyblankscockbreathfuckheadasshlewithabadtemper.

12. Apelles

Apelles Member

Nevermind, ignore everything I just wrote in this post.

Damn, could we be any more negative? THis kid has some valid points. The only one I'm going to reply to is the idea of graffiti having an "end" or "goal". I'm not sure how to express this, but I guess I have to wonder why there needs to be an end? Why does it need to progress in only one direction? I see no reason it couldn't go off in an infinite number of directions, on so many tangents, if you will. Why seek for an end? Maybe this is a little naive, but it seems to me that anything involving creativity is limitless. There are a myriad of possibilities, an infinite number of paths for this story to take. Why place restrictions on it?

Blah blha nevermind I'm going to shut up.

13. cornelius

cornelius Member

you can take graffiti wherever you want it to go.. that's all i can think of, i have an abnormal sleeping pattern, my brain is fried as a result, i can't think straight... i like to write poetry on walls with paint... whatever.. it makes people think... and it doesn't even make sense... i don't make sense, nothing makes sense... but people think about it.. hmm.. nonsense... hmmmmm

14. yeah, on the whole graf just pisses society off. but i know a lot of art fags and even jocks who fuckin respect it, and enjoy it. reaching those few is rad. but i don't write for others, i write for me. i dont know that its expressing my rebellion, but i know its fucking fun. i know walking home after painting is the time when my mind is most free (unless it was real sketchy). i love art and i love doing it.
    how am i gonna advance? by pushing my shit, trying new things, advancing in style. i don't really care if society says i'm just a vandal.
    xxx303

15. garcia_vega

garcia_vega Elite Member

holy shit that remy thing is cool as hell.