What do you WRITE?????

fiberoptical

So I was thinking about what I could do to further graff..to push the envelope for myself...and my standards..but also for the writers as a whole. What steps could I take to further the ideas and concepts of writing?. Is their a direction that writing can go in?.A final destination for the movement as a whole to get to?.I was contemplating the power of writing..and the impact it has on society.I know it is alienating to many and no further thought goes into seeing a tag, or a fill, or a piece, than just going.."what does it say?"..in a condescendig and dismissive tone...that it's aesthetic is null, that it is removed from them..has no relationship to them.Yet is writing meant to be accepted by the public as a means of communication, or just an expression of rebellion? I think it is both..one in the same so to speak..and if we are wanting to reach a larger audience, what steps do we take? Of course, we may be labelled as sellouts, etc...by a core of "real" writers..but I think this is something we should all look at. When one has the chance to approach a large audience..which as writers, we do have the public in our grasp...what are we saying?..what, if anything, are we attempting to convey? I am victim of the gratification of ego..name and crew..and that is usually the extent of it. As I have gotten older, I have been somewhat bored with that and want to branch out a bit..in terms of getting up...at least. What do I say..how do I say it...what are the end results...and does it work...how do I know if it worked...what are the responses from a larger group of people than just writers?..These are all questions I have.

Maybe if we all asked ourselves a few of these questions, we may notice a change in the look and feel of our works..and we may have the chance at really impacting the masses in a way society is not ready for.

We all use the same means as do corporations of getting our names to be the ones you all know...repeat and pound it into the masses...just think if we had a reason behind it. A push for the people to recognize the oppression of their minds..to turn off the TV for once, and go out and talk to a stranger..to meet and get back to people....and not be weary of ourselves. As technology advances, it was hoped years ago to give the person more free time..to enhance ones knowledge, to nurture the individual..to strengthen society and it's people.It has done the opposite.We are far more alienated from ourselves thn ever before...we are afraid of each other and beleive in ficticous enemies created my our media for the benefit of a few. The media dominates culture, and has essentially destroyed it.We need to take our media back..we should be our own media...we are our own media..people listen to writing..they read it..Where do we go from here? How much power do you want to hold...who can take the weight?.

As we are in the midst of a war, and terrorism is reducing our freedoms, we should be weary of the media.We should be exercising our liberties while we can.We in America, are the symbol fro freedom for the world...while here you realize that we are not as free as thought, but we are closer than most.We should push this fact..push it further....go out and write on something...but also write something...something that will make an impact...and then sign your name and crew....so we know who to give credit to when the games really begin.

:king:

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Its nice to see your unrealistic enthusiasm and inspiration that all writers have when they first start out, i don't wann ruin that. you make some valid points. i see you have a lot of questions and you need some direction in your graffiti writing...well yes it seems like graffiti is a very powerful medium, but it is not supposed to be there, that is why it works. works for what? to influence and educate, or at least communicate? no, to piss people off. thats right, in the real world graffiti just pisses people off.

you gotta decide what you want graffiti to be for you, a way to vent your anger?, a new art to excel at? a form of rebellion? just a dark secret? a way to be cool and popular on 12ozprophet?, or a way to engage in some culture jamming? i can tell you want your graffiti to be meaningful, but for the most part it isn't, and never will be. Graffiti is just a harbinger of apathy and frustration for most writers, and most adults see it as "gangster vandalism".

so you talk about the media, and its impact on culture... You need to read "Culture Jam" by Kalle Lasn if you haven't already and then you can talk about media's impact on culture and come up with your own agenda on how to change it (take it back from the control of corporations and return it to the people). then you accomplish something, don't expect graffiti to do it for all you, its mostly just fun...

keep gettin up

Guest Remy Martin

RRRRRRRRRRRRR:::::::::

RRRRRRRRRRRRR::::::::

RRR::::::::::RRR::::::::

RRR::::::::::RRR::::::::

RRR::::::::::RRR:::::::::

RRRRRRRRRRR:::::::

RRR:::::: RRR:::::

RRR:::::::::RRR:::::

RRR::::::::::RRR::::::

RRR:::::::::::RRR::::::

RRR:::::::::::::RRR:::::::

RRR:::::::::::::::RRR:::::::

RRRR::::::::::::RRRRRR::::::

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:::::::::::

EEEE:::::::

EEEEEEEEEEEEE::::::::

EEEEEEEEEEEEE::::::::

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:::::::::::

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:::::::::::

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM:::::::::::::

MMM::::::MM::::::::MMM::::::::::::::

MMM::::::MM::::::::MMM:::::::::::::::

MMM::::::MM::::::::MMM :::::::::::::

MMM::::::MM::::::::MMM:::::::::::::;

MMM:::::: MMM:::::::::::::::

YYYY::::::::: YYYY::::::::::

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY::::::::::

YYYYY::::::::::

YYYYYYYYYYYYY:::::::::::::

Nevermind, ignore everything I just wrote in this post.

Damn, could we be any more negative? THis kid has some valid points. The only one I'm going to reply to is the idea of graffiti having an "end" or "goal". I'm not sure how to express this, but I guess I have to wonder why there needs to be an end? Why does it need to progress in only one direction? I see no reason it couldn't go off in an infinite number of directions, on so many tangents, if you will. Why seek for an end? Maybe this is a little naive, but it seems to me that anything involving creativity is limitless. There are a myriad of possibilities, an infinite number of paths for this story to take. Why place restrictions on it?

Blah blha nevermind I'm going to shut up.

you can take graffiti wherever you want it to go.. that's all i can think of, i have an abnormal sleeping pattern, my brain is fried as a result, i can't think straight... i like to write poetry on walls with paint... whatever.. it makes people think... and it doesn't even make sense... i don't make sense, nothing makes sense... but people think about it.. hmm.. nonsense... hmmmmm

Guest serpent of the light

yeah, on the whole graf just pisses society off. but i know a lot of art fags and even jocks who fuckin respect it, and enjoy it. reaching those few is rad. but i don't write for others, i write for me. i dont know that its expressing my rebellion, but i know its fucking fun. i know walking home after painting is the time when my mind is most free (unless it was real sketchy). i love art and i love doing it.

how am i gonna advance? by pushing my shit, trying new things, advancing in style. i don't really care if society says i'm just a vandal.

xxx303

KIDS WANNA TALK ABOUT UNITY AND ALL THE OTHER STUFF

YEAH I FEEL YOU ON THE UNITY ISSUE BUT LET US BE FOR REAL IF WE ALL WERE UNITED HAND IN HAND, THE COPS WOULD PICK UP ALL OF US AT THE SAME TIME AND DRAG OUR ASSES DOWN TO THE SLAMMER SO FORGET THE HAND IN HAND SHIT. BESIDES THAT ANONIMITY IS THE KEY TO STAYING OUT OF JAIL SO TAKE IT HOW YOU WANT TO I PREFER TO STAY IN THE DARKNESS DESTROYING PUBLIC PROPERTY----------TRIED AND TRUE ---->NEW ORLEANS :loopy: :loopy:

this post has nothing to do with unity...these are mere questions for one to ponder which, I think, will result in an expansion of your own works.

I have read Culture Jamming..part of where my ideas come from..or branch out of.I am a tradionalist..meaning I stick solidly to the fundamentals of graff when I paint graff..when I paint art I do other things. And the point of getting together as one..that is the point..the police would haul you off..that is symbolic of the power you as writers truly hold.Once you become a force to be reckoned with. I feel graffs true beauty will be released when you say something..not much..but a bit more than name, crew..and maybe even a star or two.

Expand a bit more...I am not intrested in forming any kind of unity with anyone of you...as I can see your lack of serious thought is a display of such. Look at it this way...I see all of what you all write..I read it..you are the next generation of wrtiers...move on..branch off....say something worth reading.

Nevermid....if nothing else, improve your damn handstyles.

you are what you think you are...

theres too much elitism within the graff culture...too many kids are gettin pissed cause their work is bein disrespected by other writers...too many people are goin down because of bullshit egos. unity is realistic, but not when people play the game for themselves. it would be nice for there to be unity in any subculture, let alone, any culture, but everyone is in it for a different reason...those reasons break people apart.

you talk about being against mainstream culture, art world, etc etc...lets think first about being against each other....

:eek: :eek:

cleansheets...are you speakin of a political stance on graff? like writing something a little extra next to your name like "6 men raped a 9-month old girl in South Africa"...is that going to change the world are the yuppies gonna give a shit? as for writers becoming a force to be reckoned with...only to stop the vandalism not to stop the message that the writer tried to convey...because people do not care only others writers care and the majority of them don't vote

I HEAR WHAT YOU ARE SAYING BUT I AM NOT GOING BACK TO JAIL TO PROVE ANYONES POINT AGAIN. THAT SHIT IS NOT FUN AND IT IS NOT CHEAP TO GET OUT. SO FUCK ORLEANS PARISH PRISON ALL TOGETHER.

NOW THAT I HAVE SAID THAT I MUST GET TO THE SERIOUSNESS OF THE ISSUE I WOULD LOVE TO GET DOWN WITH ALL THE LOCAL WRITERS WHO LIVE DOWN HERE OR ANY WRITERS WHO JUST COME THROUGH ON WEEKEND VISITS BUT THE SAD REALITY IS THAT MY CITY IS THE MOST UNUNIFIED IN TERMS OF WHO KNOWS WHO AND WHERE TO FIND ANY OF US. YES WE MUST REMAIN ANONOMOUS DUE TO HEFY FINES BEING DROPPED ON YOU BY THE DA OD THE CITY $10,000 DOLLAR FINE IF YOU REALLY PISS OFF THESE POLITICIANS DOWN HERE.

BUT WHO REALLY KNOWS THAT I WRITE? A FEW PEOPLE I KNOW PERSONALLY .BUT FOR THE MOST OF IT I WRITE BY MYSELF IN THE YARDS ON THE WALLS AND THE CITY IN GENERAL. SUPPORT FROM OTHERS, SHIT, FORGET ABOUT THAT UNLESS YOU ARE REALLY DOWN WITH ONE OF THE VERY FEW CREWS IN THE METRO AREA, OTHER HEADS LOOK AT YOU AS BEING A TOY. WHICH DOES NOT BOTHER ME AT ALL BECAUSE WHEN A LOT OF THESE "NEW KINGS" JUST STARTED TO GET UP THERE WERE ONLY TWO SIGNIFICANT WRITERS WHO GOT UP AT ALL ---HARSH ON THE EASTBANK AND MY LITTLE BROTHER---SPECIAL-I-ARS190 ON THE WEST BANK.AND THAT WAS BACK IN 94,95 AND 96. THE CULTURE DOES NOT LIVE IN THIS CRAPPY TOWN. I GET UP WHEN I CAN FOR ME. HELL, I DONT EVEN GIVE A FUCK IF THESE YOUNGSTERS DONT LIKE IT. MORE THAN LIKELY THEY WILL BE OUT OF THE GAME NEXT YEAR REGARDLESS. ME IM IN IT FOR THE LONG RUN. I WRITE GRAFITTI- IM A BLACK MALE, MANAGER AT A MULTIBILLION DOLLAR STORE. SEE DOWN HERE THAT PROFILE IS VERY RARE, NEW WRITERS PLACE TO MUCH EMPHASIS ON YOUR SKIN COLOR AND NOT YOUR SKILL LEVEL. NOT HATING ON WHAT IS SEE IN THE CITY WHEN MOST PEOPLE DOWN HERE DID NOT EVEN KNOW WHO THE WU-TANG CLAN WERE. BUT I WAS ONE OF THE FEW WHO HAD THE BALLS TO GET UP IN THE FIRST PLACE AND IS STILL DOING WHAT I FEEL TO BE MY TRUE LOVE AT THIS PRESENT TIME. I AM MORE THAN WILLING TOHELP OUT WRITERS WHO WANT TO GETI NTO THE YARDS AND HIT DOPE PIECES ON TRAINS. ELEVATED I AM. UNITITED WITH OTHER WRITERS I AM NOT. WILLING TO OBTAIN SOMETHING BETTER FOR US AS A WHOLE IN OUR GENERATION, I AM EVEN MORE WILLING TO ACHIEVE.

Guest BROWNer

the only way i can see what you're saying working would be

to go for the jugular and work on manipulating

the publics perception to a point that its

not such an offence...remove the stigma at the

source somehow(?)...most people refuse to annex any thought

to street art becuz of the stigma thats been transmitted by the government

and the public. as long as joe public feels that way, you can scream til you're blue in the face and they won't

hear(see) shit, or at least not in a way that would make them think 'outside the box'. no?

Keep thinking...find a way to break the mold...step out of the trap of the graff circles, approach the masses and make an attempt at communicating on a grander scale.It is you.You Hold The Keys. You are all right...there is seperation in graff circles..there are seperations between church and state..and black and white..I am not saying to try and change these seperations...embrace them and use them to your benefit.What you wish to do with graff is totally up to you..and yes, it is possible to have people rich and poor, small and big read your work.It is possible to affect the populace.You already have..look at the laws meant to prevent you from writing in the first place...and yes it is seen as a act of vandalism...yet is it not worth something to you?...you take risks no one else does...you are doing for a reason...make it a noble one..make it mean something more to you...reach inside and pull that stinking heart out of your aching chest...splatter it up for the world to deal with...make them repulse in fear..in anger...in understanding.,..in agreement or disagreement..confront the pain.....make it hurt...shatter the perceptions that society is functioning under...rip it apart.....you can see more than most...awaken....shock them out of their slumber...

And if you take this step...your impact will be felt...we are writers..and we know alot of others who are not..our outlook..our secret is known to the select...and we radiate a way of life...you can see it...I can tell a writer...that something.....and if nothing else you impact thsoe who wrtie..and cause a ripple within the writing world...which is a microcosm of the grand skeme.

Keep looking..keep searching..keep digging..for their is gold to be found.

Yo man, just do what you feel. Practice it first and be real about it. Be creative, try new shit. If its really tight you'll know it and peeps will follow.

"If you build it they will come"

You cant bring every1 together, no one wants unity, but if its tight eventually more people will use it.

i think what cleansheets is talking about is evolution.......truly..what is the next leg of the graff beast going to be......?and who is going to lead the charge......art aside....style aside......experience aside...politics aside.....maybe this 12oz. forum is the next step..all of us together right here and right now is possibly the greatest showing of unity to ever take place in the graff world.........this is the next mutation that will force the perceived reality of graff into it's next stage.......from what i can tell cleansheets is challenging us as well as himself to initiate that direction and intelligently and creatively forge the revitalized and purposeful face that graff will carry for the next few years.................many people on here bitch and moan about "graff is dead"...or "i am so sick of hearing about so and so and yaddaa yadda...".............. but the thing is that it is soley up to us as representatives of the current graff movement to determine the "next level"....."to push the envelope".......i wrote before about how i see the graff world as a pool that is always in a state of constant evaporation......it must be replenished...drop by drop...............oh and cleansheets....its time to get that shit dirty.....lets go dig for gold

Archived