What Book(s) are you Reading (or Finished)

Guest chicken bone

Guest chicken bone

Tell, and describe if its good or not. Reading is good for you!

Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostovesky (Very good. Very intense and heavy reading. For you self depricating intellectuals).

Dubliners by James Joyce (Very good. Very heavy as well... Collection of short stories).

Gotta read Dubliners again someday when I'm smarter. Its the kind of book.. (well Joyce is the kind of author) that you will find a bunch of new things everytime you read it.

Reading..

Man and his Symbols by CG Jung.

Its about mans faculty for creating symbols. CG Jung relates to this through his intense dream analysis and awesomely huge knowledge of mythology. Genius! Fascinating book, reccommended to everyone!

I've had a lot of time on my hands.

:(

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by freightlover

i just finished AMERICAN SKIN by Don DeGrazia. really good narrative about a kids life, basically. falling in with non-racist skins in chicago and growing up and stuff after that. amazing book. one of the kind you really cant put down for the life of you.

im 1/2 way through with WHITEOUT: LOST IN ASPEN by Ted Conover. people on the board mightve read ROLLING NOWHERE about him riding trains around for a couple years. this book isnt as exciting as that, or his book about being a prison guard in sing sing (NEWJACK) or following illegal immigrants (COYOTE). its a decent read about life in aspen, nothing more really.

ive started reading AGE AND GUILE: BEAT YOUTH, INNOCENCE, AND A BAD HAIRCUT which is a 25 year anthology of some of P.J. O'Rourke's articles and writing. its fucking hilarious, and really on point politically. the guy is one of my writing idols for his way of putting comedy into important issues...

what are you reading?

at the moment I am reading

Regeneration - Pat Barker which is a world war one novel its illa when you get into it.

Stupid white men -Micheal Moore

if anyone has read Induring Love - Iain McEwan that is a weird book with homoerotic undertoes which are not so undertonish weird book but good.

The Wasp Factory- Ian M Banks weird psycho novel

I'm also reading Keats at college that is y fucking best he uses the English Language so well.

If you have noticed I read alot at the same time cause I get real bored with books

Guest im not witty

i just finished the vice guide to sex drugs rock and roll, and ive been halfway through the unbearable lightness of being for about 3 weeks and cant seem to find the time to pick it back up.

been meaning to read notes from underground for a while.

currently reading:

notes to myself - hugh prather

this book is ridiculous. i just want to beat prather about the face and head with it. imagine deep thoughts that aren't funny, but sound more like stoner babble that you think is deep when you're high, but is just idiotic when you aren't. a friend of mine told me it was so bad that it was funny. i'm not laughing yet.

if on a winter's night a traveler - italo calvino

awesome. i love this book so far. i love it. awesome.

the complete short stories of ernest hemingway

i mean, come on... hemingway. it's a pretty good read.

recently read:

pale fire - vladimir nabokov

a lot funnier than i thought it was going to be. fascinating novel. if you haven't read it, i guarantee that you've never read another novel like it. the same goes for the calvino novel i mentioned. i'm starting nabokov's lolita soon.

ignorance - milan kundera

i thought this book was awesome. first kundera i've read. the romantic and the bitter cynic in me were both satisfied with it when i was done. the book of laughter and forgetting is up to bat soon. ULB is gonna have to wait till the summer though.

death sentence - maurice blanchot

very strange. i guess this would go in the french existential type of style? like camus... but i found this way stranger. (no pun intended, honestly.) plot? heh.. not necessarily. it took a bit of explanation and a second reading for me to understand what was going on, but it was pretty cool once i understood.

i love Crime and Punishment, but started Notes From The Underground, and didn't finish it, i think i was more in the mood for something a bit cheerier, but then i think i read Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse instead, which i was quite into, vaguely similar, and Siddartha by Hesse is totally recommended too

The Wasp Factory...fucking hell...definently up there in my top books, fucked up for sure

really want to get Dubliners, but i haven't found it yet for some reason

but the only book i'm reading just now is Young Adam by Alexander Trocchi, not brilliant so far, but the one before i read by him was well good, Cain's Book, about a junkie living on a barge with his prostitute girlfriend trying to write a book, basically his biography

and i'm curious about Nabokov, what's he like?

I'm a reading dork itsmy fav thing to do

"The Ten Books on Architecture" Vitruvius

"Saving the Appearances" Barfield

"The Poetics of the Reverie" Bachelard

"Finnegans Wake" James Joyce

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" Pirsig

Those are the last 5 I read the first four were for schooling reasons

Originally posted by Zee_Zee

The alchemist by paulo cohelo

this was a damn good book, finished it not long ago, i loved it! before that was "garden of eden" by hemmingway. didn't like that one though.

i just finished "love" an exploration and class in love

i'm now reading both "nectar in a sieve" and "the ramayana"

Originally posted by optimodub

i love Crime and Punishment, but started Notes From The Underground, and didn't finish it, i think i was more in the mood for something a bit cheerier, but then i think i read Steppenwolf by Herman Hesse instead, which i was quite into, vaguely similar, and Siddartha by Hesse is totally recommended too

i agree crime and punishment was very good, i love to discuss this book. didn't get too into steppenwolf, but really liked "narcissus" by Herman Hesse. i have siddartha in the pile to read right now

History on the Run-by some well known Canadian reporter about his times on Capitol Hill and being around Eisenhower, Nixon, Kennedy, Johnson etc..

The Wild Children-Sorry no author. Story about the USSR, Kid wakes up to find his family taken away by the secret police, ends up homeless and running with a group of other homeless children around Moscow. (During the 1920's, homeless children were so numerous, because of drought, famine, politics, disease etc.. that there were almost as many ofthem as children with homes) One of my favorite children's books.

A collection of essays and speeches by Richard Feynman, one of the physicists who invented the atom bomb.

Great Expectations-Charles Dickens. Not enjoying this book as much as I enjoy other 19th century authors but interesting historical perspective.

The whole mummified wedding cake bit is very creepy and imaginative though.

And ISHMAEL by Daniel Quinn- an incredibly amazing book that many people on this site sould read. Basically deconstructs the idea of man and power and nature to an interesting degree with interesting conclusions like the story fo Cain and Abel-an allegory of a war that happened between hunter/gatherers and farmers in biblical times but with a twist. All of his books so far have been good. Mind expanding and makes you realize what a responsability you have etc.....

Originally posted by ana

A collection of essays and speeches by Richard Feynman, one of the physicists who invented the atom bomb.

I think I read this in high school. My physics teacher was recommended it. Do you have a title? I want to get my hands on it again.

Guest chicken bone

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse is one of my most favoritest books! I should read more Hesse (I've read Narcissus & Goldmund and Demian). Demian was really good but Siddhartha just put my head in a cloud. Such a wonderful story, it changed many parts of my life. I should read it again.

Richard Feynman is the shit!! I had to read some of his stuff for my Chaos Theory and Relativity class! He is awesome! When he worked at the pentagon he would sneak into their files, break the codes and leave little anonymous messages taunting the officials inside! He's a funny clever chap!

I also have been meaning to read Ishmael.

I want to get my hands on some more Kafka as well. Right now I'm starting on:

Exile & the Kingdom by Albert Camus

Guest im not witty
Originally posted by ana

ISHMAEL by Daniel Quinn- an incredibly amazing book ]

balee dat. the story of b and my ishmael were also worth reading.

Archived