What Book Are You Reading?

Guest Canadiano

Guest Canadiano

I've got five different books at my bedside, but the last one I checked is called the Book Of Knowledge. I used to read it when I was seven, or something, but it's still not bad. Big pictures and good information on old English history. Right now I'm at the part when William of Normandy killed King Harold. Oh, and I'm still reading that short story collection by Farley Mowat. I'm sloooooow.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Canadiano

what do you mean it pre-dates the Italian Mafia? you talking about actual, less-organizsed then organized crime gangs? What were they, Irish, Italian, what else?

*edit - rage, stop with the firsties bullshit. that is kindergarten styles, and even when I was in JK, I woulda gave you a bleeding nose. for real, you fuckers need to watch 90210 and understand what cool is before you decide to do this firsties bullshit.

Guest Canadiano

iloveboxcars - I've never heard of it, but I don't buy books from the bestsellers rack at Chapters, usually. I don't give a fuck what a Buddhist doctor tells me about evil, corporate drugs, and the media blindfolding us..nblahablahblahblah. I sorta like war books.

at my bedside: Book Of Knowledge (sort of a kids book), Religion and the Rise of Capitalism by RH Tawney (1922), Selected Essays of Francis Bacon, and Farley Mowat - The Snow Walker.

Originally posted by Canadiano

*edit - rage, stop with the firsties bullshit. that is kindergarten styles, and even when I was in JK, I woulda gave you a bleeding nose. for real, you fuckers need to watch 90210 and understand what cool is before you decide to do this firsties bullshit.

90210? WTF?!

Anywho... I'm just following suit, because people did it to my threads.

Books I'm reading:

Dreamcatcher by Stephen King

The Manhattan Hunt Club by John Saul

Ship Of The Damned by James F. David

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Gödel, Escher, Bach, by Douglas Hofstadter

Adobe AfterEffects QuickPro Guide, by some computer nerds

The Book of the Cosmos, by Dennis Richard Danielson

Got "A New Kind of Science" by Stephen Wolfram waiting for me next. That's gonna be a tough one. Beer,

El Mamerro

YEAH... PRIMARILY IRISH AND GERMAN, AND PRIMARILY IN LOWER MANHATTAN (BOWERY)... THE MAJORITY OF THE BOOK TAKES PLACE BEFORE THE REAL INFLUX OF ITALIANS... THE EARLIEST ORGANIZED GANGS SEEM TO HAVE BEEN OPERATED UNDER THE GUISE OF INDEPENDENT FIRE COMPANIES... BUT THAT'S TOO MUCH DETAIL... YOU JUST HAVE TO READ THE SHIT... IT ALSO DEALS WITH CHINESE GANGS AND ASSORTED OTHER CRIME GROUPS AND FIGURES...

IF YOU DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT THIS SHIT, SOME OF THESE STORIES WILL BLOW YOUR MIND... BOTH BOOKS ARE ALSO PRETTY COOL BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT SENSATIONALIZED AT ALL SO YOU GET A PICTURE OF HOW GRIMEY THIS ERA IN NYC ACTUALLY WAS

Guest --zeSto--

question is ...

Do any of you write? (funny question to ask The Writer's Fourm)

poetry? prose?

I've just finished another short screenplay. Anyone care to read it?

Guest imported_El Mamerro

I love to write, I used to rock some ill prose and short stories. But it takes too much out of me, both in energy and time, and I just don't do it anymore. I satisfy my need to write by coming on 12oz and ranting. beer,

El Mamerro

Guest Canadiano

I'll get into that shit, still. You're talking about the Luc Sante one, right?

Mamerro, you're an uber-geek, eh?

zest, I used to write essays for fun and shit, but then I realized that getting drunk and arguing with people, telling them that Canada needs to be run by a dictatorship and stuff like that, is much, MUCH, more fun.

Don't you think HIV positive people should have that tattooed onto their hands? I do.

Guest THEdude

umm I'm reading

I Know This Much is True - Wally Lamb

and also

Mother of Pearl - Melinda Haynes

and last but not least

While I Was Gone - Sue Miller

nah not really that's gay

Fuck reading books, read the newspaper or something

Guest --zeSto--
Originally posted by Canadiano

Don't you think HIV positive people should have that tattooed onto their hands? I do.

I saw a man with that tattoed across his forarm on the streetcar. HIV+ in big blacck letters.

I'm normally very tolerant to all types of people, but I was still going please dont sit next to me, please dont sit next to me...

I'd rather not know.

Guest --zeSto--

yeah man.. I'm totally sure about that.

If it's not an open-air virus, you're only going to create hysteria from that type of thing.

He could sit next to me and I'd be like Oh, another odd character, big deal

It's not like he'd suggest sharing needles or becoming blood brothers,

so there's no need to alarm the people around you.

it's like yelling FIRE or BOMB, more people are going to get hurt in the stamped running away then if a fire or a bomd actually exist.

Guest Canadiano

he did the right thing. He is making sure that nobody wants to fuck him, or cut him and drink his blood, or whatever. I respect that. I'm sure he got diagnosed and did it more out of self-loathing and pity rather than for the greater good, but he did the right thing nonetheless. I'm surprised at your story, though. I've never seen anything like that. only this one girl who carved std into her skin because she thought she got her boyfriend gonnorhea, but he got it from some other skank he was cheating on her with.

i got a few going:

the godfather.........fuck me that books amazing

the kremlin device by chris ryan......if ur into action type thing..get it

and anything by andy mcnab

Guest Uncle Wiggly

I'm reading a book that won't be released until sometime in the next year or so... so none of you have heard of it...

Archived