What Book Are You Reading? Pt. 18

Weapon X

Alright, I just re-started on a book I bought for myself over the holidays called "Hitler's Scientists: Science, War, and the Devil's Pact" by John Cornwell.

I'm only 60 pages in, but damn, this book is awesome! I am learning much about the history of European science, dating back from the eighteenth century. This book makes you think a lot about the ethics a scientist may or may not hold while doing their work.

Anyone who is into European history, science, or just a plain old book that makes you think, check this out. Symbols, I'm looking at you.

What book are you reading?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Just finished four books..

The Castle - Franz Kafka

Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain

Crash - J.G. Ballard

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon

Fucking weird combinations.

And now I have no more books to read.. and its super hard to find English books where i'm at.

Here's the description on the back of Crash:

In this hallucinatory novel, an automobile provides the hellish tableau in which Vaughan, a "TV scientist" turned "nightmare angel of the highways," experiments with erotic atrocities among auto crash victims, each more sinister than the last. James Ballard, his friend and fellow obsessive, tells the story of this twisted visionary as he careens rapidly toward his own demise in an internationally orchestrated car crash with Elizabeth Taylor.

A classic work of cutting-edge fiction, Crash explores both the disturbing implications and horrific possibilities of contemporary society's increasing dependence on technology as intermediary in human relations.

I usually love Kafka's stuff but wasn't really feeling The Castle.. .No wonder he never finished it.

Haha.. Vonnegut is awesome though.

Have you read anything by Theodore Sturgeon? It has been said that that author was Vonnegut's inspiration in creating his recurring Kilgore Trout character.

Such Sturgeon titles are as follows:

-The Saucer of Loneliness

-Baby Is Three

-Killdozer!

-The Dreaming Jewels

-Venus Plus X

etc..etc...

I wanna get my hands on one of these but I can't find his stuff anywhere..

Originally posted by velocet@Jan 5 2005, 02:16 PM

Haha.. Vonnegut is awesome though.

Have you read anything by Theodore Sturgeon? It has been said that that author was Vonnegut's inspiration in creating his recurring Kilgore Trout character.

Such Sturgeon titles are as follows:

-The Saucer of Loneliness

-Baby Is Three

-Killdozer!

-The Dreaming Jewels

-Venus Plus X

etc..etc...

I wanna get my hands on one of these but I can't find his stuff anywhere..

cool, gotta check out ol' Theo. have you ever read any and are they short stories?

ya, vonnegut is one of my favorite writers. i think in timequake he's just too old and don't give a shit anymore. Breakfast of Champions blows this out.

Originally posted by JesusMachine@Jan 5 2005, 02:20 PM

cool, gotta check out ol' Theo.  have you ever read any and are they short stories? 

ya, vonnegut is one of my favorite writers.  i think in timequake he's just too old and don't give a shit anymore.  Breakfast of Champions blows this out.

The Sturgeon books I listed are all novels, not shorts.. I haven't had the chance to read any because they're hard to find. And apparently dude has wrote tons of books.

I've really been into "dystopias" lately... (a la 1984, Brave New World, etc...)

Still haven't been able to get my hands on We but I stumbled upon this long list of other books...

Right now I've got about 50 pages left of Jack London's Iron Heel then it's on to:

Island - Aldous Huxley

A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess

334 - Thomas Disch

The Giver - Lois Lowry

...mmm James Spader. The Secretary was such an awesome movie...

Just finished Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card...it was entertaining but I was kind of disappointed. Before that I read The Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell by Aldous Huxley, a book of Bukowski short stories, and Crime and Punishment. All wonderful. Now it's back to school stuff...I think Plato is up next. And yeah, Timequake doesn't come close to anything else I've read by Vonnegut.

Originally posted by Xeroshoes@Jan 5 2005, 03:40 PM

Just finished Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card...it was entertaining but I was kind of disappointed.

now you HAVE to read 'ender's shaddow'.

it's the same story but from Bean's perspective.

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by <KEY3>@Jan 5 2005, 02:16 PM

I just finished the new Clive Cussler book.

Dirk Pitt is my hero.

Hell yes. His latest are lacking a bit in excitement, but Dirk Pitt and Al Giordino rule everything.

I'm reading Crime And Punishment for a class. Only about 100 pages in, but it seems good so far. I think i'd enjoy it more if i could read it at a more leisurely pace, but i'm actually enjoying the discussions on it, which doesn't usually happen.

I don't read as much as i should, and i have so many books i need to get to.

-Quarterlife Crisis - The unique challenges of life in your twenties.

-The complete asshole's guide to handling chicks (someone here posted a link to it, and the first couple pages looked hilarious, had to cop it.)

-The System (a get laid today book) kind of a joke... but its like the asshole's one, pure comedy. and it never hurts to hear another's ideas on getting some. especially in my current state.

How to be a gentlemen. (brushing up my manners).

-Life and Def ...Sex, drugs, money + god by russel simmons the def jam owner. (finished this already, awesome book i thought. lot of hiphop history, and the man is a pure fucking genius.)

Originally posted by El Mamerro+Jan 5 2005, 03:42 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (El Mamerro - Jan 5 2005, 03:42 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-<KEY3>@Jan 5 2005, 02:16 PM

I just finished the new Clive Cussler book.

Dirk Pitt is my hero.

Hell yes. His latest are lacking a bit in excitement, but Dirk Pitt and Al Giordino rule everything.

[/b]

Indeed they do.

Currently: Atlantis Found by Clive Cussler

Just Finished: IBM and the Holocaust (I suggest this one)

it;s only because Drik is a family man now.

Rudy Gunn is starting to become a bit more of a man.

Atlantis Found was pretty decent but I really enjoyed the newest on 'Trojan Odessy'.

Plus Cussler writes himself into the ending which was both enjoyable and pure cheese at the same time.

plus I hear Matthew McConnehey (sp) is looking at the film version.