Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

What Book Are You Reading? Pt. 18

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Weapon X, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Weapon X

Weapon X 12oz Loyalist

Alright, I just re-started on a book I bought for myself over the holidays called "Hitler's Scientists: Science, War, and the Devil's Pact" by John Cornwell.

I'm only 60 pages in, but damn, this book is awesome! I am learning much about the history of European science, dating back from the eighteenth century. This book makes you think a lot about the ethics a scientist may or may not hold while doing their work.

Anyone who is into European history, science, or just a plain old book that makes you think, check this out. Symbols, I'm looking at you.

What book are you reading?

2. hulk hogan

hulk hogan Member

On McCluhan : Foward through a Rearview Mirror

3. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

The Reconing

It's Papal intrigue in the end times and very well written.
    yo weapon.... you should pick up a copy. I found mine at shoppers.

4. Beast546

Beast546 New Jack

5. cloner

cloner Senior Member

6. velocet

velocet New Jack

Just finished four books..

The Castle - Franz Kafka
    Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain
    Crash - J.G. Ballard
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon

Fucking weird combinations.

And now I have no more books to read.. and its super hard to find English books where i'm at.

Here's the description on the back of Crash:

In this hallucinatory novel, an automobile provides the hellish tableau in which Vaughan, a "TV scientist" turned "nightmare angel of the highways," experiments with erotic atrocities among auto crash victims, each more sinister than the last. James Ballard, his friend and fellow obsessive, tells the story of this twisted visionary as he careens rapidly toward his own demise in an internationally orchestrated car crash with Elizabeth Taylor.

A classic work of cutting-edge fiction, Crash explores both the disturbing implications and horrific possibilities of contemporary society's increasing dependence on technology as intermediary in human relations.

I usually love Kafka's stuff but wasn't really feeling The Castle.. .No wonder he never finished it.

7. JesusMachine

JesusMachine Elite Member

Timequake - Kurt Vonnegut

halfway through and possibly the worst shit he's ever written.

8. JesusMachine

i saw the movie with james spader, that shit was so fuckin' twisted!

9. velocet

velocet New Jack

Haha.. Vonnegut is awesome though.

Have you read anything by Theodore Sturgeon? It has been said that that author was Vonnegut's inspiration in creating his recurring Kilgore Trout character.

Such Sturgeon titles are as follows:

-The Saucer of Loneliness
    -Baby Is Three
    -Killdozer!
    -The Dreaming Jewels
    -Venus Plus X

etc..etc...

I wanna get my hands on one of these but I can't find his stuff anywhere..

10. <KEY3>

<KEY3> Veteran Member

I just finished the new Clive Cussler book.
    Dirk Pitt is my hero.

11. JesusMachine

cool, gotta check out ol' Theo. have you ever read any and are they short stories?

ya, vonnegut is one of my favorite writers. i think in timequake he's just too old and don't give a shit anymore. Breakfast of Champions blows this out.

12. velocet

velocet New Jack

The Sturgeon books I listed are all novels, not shorts.. I haven't had the chance to read any because they're hard to find. And apparently dude has wrote tons of books.

13. fatalist

fatalist Dirty Dozen Crew

I need to get my hands on some good reads, since I'm not going to school this semester, i finally have time to read.

14. bathoræ

bathoræ Member

I've really been into "dystopias" lately... (a la 1984, Brave New World, etc...)

Still haven't been able to get my hands on We but I stumbled upon this long list of other books...

Right now I've got about 50 pages left of Jack London's Iron Heel then it's on to:
    Island - Aldous Huxley
    A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
    334 - Thomas Disch
    The Giver - Lois Lowry

...mmm James Spader. The Secretary was such an awesome movie...

15. Xeroshoes

Xeroshoes Senior Member

Just finished Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card...it was entertaining but I was kind of disappointed. Before that I read The Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell by Aldous Huxley, a book of Bukowski short stories, and Crime and Punishment. All wonderful. Now it's back to school stuff...I think Plato is up next. And yeah, Timequake doesn't come close to anything else I've read by Vonnegut.