What Book Are You Reading? Pt. 14 (bak 2 skool edishun)

Weapon X

Hello. I started school last week, and am not looking forward to endless hours of sleeping in class, and watching football and hockey and baseball instead of doing homework.

Yesterday, for my birthday, I was given "The Thinking Fan's Guide to Baseball, Third Edition" by Leonard Koppet; forward by Pat Gillick. Supposedly, it's the first analytical book on baseball.

I wish I had received this gift earlier, and had had tickets to the Mariners/Jays series, because I would have gotten Mr. Gillick to sign it, as he works as a consultant with the M's now.

Also, I am reading Somerset Maugham's "The Magician". So far, so damn good. The magician is such a pompous, arrogant, educated man...I love his dialogue!

What book are you reading?

PS. Do you think it'd be fucked up if I studied Nostradamus' prophecies on the third anti-Christ, then tried to be that guy? No, that's a stupid question.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

The anthology of elizabethan prose fiction. I just got it today ... I've been waiting over a month for the bookshop to get it in and they almost didn't give it to me ( some how they had lost the copy that was on reserve for moi ). Luckily the girl serving me was nice enough to just give me what i think was someone else's copy.

Anyway, I have to read it for a course I'm doing. I'm amazed that all the stories from that era are filled with as much debauchery and random violence and the like as any of that avante gard shock horror crap. I guess people have found immorality interesting for almost ever ..

Asian health secrets.

I drink a lot of tea. Fresh herbs and whatnot to use in tea to help with energy and whatnot, better days.

A whack on the side of the head

^reading this one for class. Had to do a report, and presentation already. Its a good book to help with mental blocks, its easy to read. yea.

I have to read some design related book too. I think the teach said a good book was "All corvettes are red" about chevy's original plans and stuff for corvettes. Something....i dont know, havent read it yet.

Originally posted by ARCEL

i just read Animal Farm

me too! i just finished it last week and then i read 1984, now i'm reading utopia... i have A LOT of free time on my hands lately so if anyone has any good recommendations i'd be up for checking them out

I just read Demian, by Hermann Hesse, I love this guy...but pretty soon I'll be reading The Iliad, The Odyssey, The Last Days of Socrates, Herodotus' histories, etc, for school...shit will be a load on my back but I plan on reading all...or most...of it. I'll see how my motivation holds up. Pixie - read Faulkner. Just do it. Animal Farm is all good, but if you want to be into the intense literature tip my suggestion would be Faulkner, above all; plus, get into poetry. I don't want to claim to be any expert, but I would reccomend some T.S. Eliot. I dont know. A lot of well known literature is well known for a reason. Go for the tried and true, I guess.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1859844480.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg'>

Except the old edition.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1859843794.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg'>

Selected essays on cultural theory.

http://mc.clintock.com/second_floor/bookcase_2/ICON-images/a_confederacy_of_d.jpg'>

Confederacy of Dunces, funny.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1563894459.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg'>

Volumes 1 through 10, one of the best comics ever.

I have a habit of reading more than one thing at a time.

Originally posted by Xeroshoes

I just read Demian, by Hermann Hesse, I love this guy...but pretty soon I'll be reading The Iliad, The Odyssey, The Last Days of Socrates, Herodotus' histories, etc, for school...shit will be a load on my back but I plan on reading all...or most...of it. I'll see how my motivation holds up. Pixie - read Faulkner. Just do it. Animal Farm is all good, but if you want to be into the intense literature tip my suggestion would be Faulkner, above all; plus, get into poetry. I don't want to claim to be any expert, but I would reccomend some T.S. Eliot. I dont know. A lot of well known literature is well known for a reason. Go for the tried and true, I guess.

Have you read Narcissus and Goldmund by Hesse? If you haven't already, check it out. For a while all I read was Hesse. I bought a book of poems he wrote, which are so sad. They all have something to do with him mourning a friend who has gone to fight in the war. One of my favorite writers.

Now I'm way into Dave Eggers' writting. Anyone else read AHWOSG?

Originally posted by kaesthebluntedwonder

Now I'm way into Dave Eggers' writting. Anyone else read AHWOSG?

Amazing book! One of my favs.

Currently Im reading The Extra Man by Jonathan Ames, Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman [book on why emotional intell is more important than actually IQ], and dabbling in DaVinci Code.. honestly, I havent been able to get into it, everyone sweats DaVinci Code too much that it seems over hyped

Originally posted by iloveboxcars

the odyssey.

me too... again... *sigh* and next is the Ramayana.

I'm also starting on Freud's "Interpretation of Dreams". http://www.psywww.com/books/interp/toc.htm

All of these are for school...

I thought AHWOSG was good, but not the best book I've read in the past few years. You Shall Know Our Velocity looks good just from the cover, though.

I really dug The Wasp Factory (I hope you do too, High Priest), Narcissus and Goldmund (Hesse is one of my favorite authors too!), and House of Leaves...

It sucks not having personal reading time during school...

Originally posted by Weapon X

Like THE Ramayana? Or some book by some white guy like Herman Hesse, or whatever his name is?

Yes, THE Ramayana... (I haven't checked my syllabus to see if we're reading the whole thing)

I'm taking a world literature class covering Ancient Literature through the 16th century. We get to read things like Dante's Inferno, The Tale of Genji and toward the end of the semester we get to read some South American literature... woo! hehe (I'm a dork)