What Book Are You Reading? Pt. 13 (Lucky Summer Edition)

Weapon X

Wuddup, wuddup. I’m sure it’s not too early, seeing as most of the 12oz peeps are on summer vacation, avid readers, or will probably make some free time for themselves to flip through pages in the beautiful summer weather.

I just got back from the library with a couple of books. The fiction book I’m reading is W.E.B. Griffin’s The Secret Warriors. It’s book two in his Men At War series. The first one left me hanging, and I can’t wait to rip through this paperback. It’s pretty neat how it goes from the Pacific Theatre to places like Germany, France, Morocco, and Washington DC. A fictional tale about clandestine operations, the beginning of the OSS.

The non-fiction book I’m going to start is called A Soldier’s Story, Victory At Falaise; The Defeat of the German Army in Normandy – August 1944.. It’s written by Brigadier-General Denis Whitaker, his wife, Shelagh Whitaker, and Terry Copp. From the inside of the book jacket, I’m in for very well written accounts from all sorts of parties involved in that part of the Second World War.

So, what book are you planning on checking out while sipping on Coronas on the patio?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've already mentioned this book in another thread.

But, I just finished

Resource Wars by Michael T. Klare....

That has got to be scarier than the motherfucking necronomicon. If you care about anything at all, read this book.

I also finished my pirate book. Pirate Utopias by Peter Lamborn Wilson (which is another pen name for Hakim Bey). Veeerryy Interesting.

Well that's about it right now.... I'm trying to focus my efforts more. I'm like halfway through about 10 other books. Haha... Mostly news stuffs too...

this article BROWNer posted up is very interesting to me at this point in time.

i have this problem folks, i was just wondering if it affects anyone else:

i can't just read a book bit by bit over the period of weeks/months like some people. if i'm going to read a book i will sit down and plough from cover to cover within one or two days, no fucking around. if i read bit by bit on the train or here and there i lose interest after a couple of chapters and can't finish it.

i haven't read that many books in my life.Some of the only ones i can remeber are like THE OUTSIDERS. and MANIAC MAGEE. All when i was young and what not. Recently i have read a tom clancy novel...and a few graff books.But the one book i have read in my life and realy enjoyed the most....i believe the title was something like "ARE YOU THERE GOD" OR "WHERE ARE YOU GOD" OR SOMETHING FOR THAT MATTER.it was many ages ago when i read it....It was written by a nun who ran a shelter for run-away or homeless kids...and it was all about the kind of kids who came threw her doors...it was some of the craziest storys i have ever heard...there where two of them...if anyone can help me out with some information on the book such as the exact title..so i can see if like amazon.com or b&n has it.

2BLAZZED, what Clancy novel? If you liked it, read him some more. His style is easy, and every book I’ve read of his has been gold, or near gold.

ABC, I’m sort of the opposite. I never make time for myself to sit for hours and read a book, even though that is the best way to read, in my opinion. The only time I do that these days is when I’m waiting for my name to be called in court. I mostly read bit by bit. Transit, and before I go to bed, mostly. It’s different on those summer days, though.

Weapon X: Richard Marcinko wrote Red Cell...

Robert Ludlum is a spy novelist... one of his books was recently made into a movie I have yet to see... "The Bourne Identity".

If ignorance is bliss, that's why you're all blistered...

Jeru the Damaja

You should check em out. It's good stuff.

Mr. Abracadabra: I don't necessarily see that as a problem.

I never read rumble fish... but I read catcher in the rye... also good disgruntled teen reading.

Anybody remember that Rumble Fish song by the Goats?

"Rumble Fish, it's the Rumble Fish, you better drop quick when you hear that click..."

Originally posted by test pattern

watership down

what a book, I read that when I was around 11 and it was extremely heavy... I read it again later and saw the film but sometimes I still have the original dreams that book inspired...

Ok, I get the feeling that I read a lot faster, or more (at least) than a bunch of you... I go through a book a week at least... but... in the last month:

The Looking Glass War-- LeCarre

(re-read, I love LeCarre)

Blood Work-

Angel's Flight-

The Last Coyote - Michael Connoley

(decent stuff, kept me reading but some weakness)

Gone Fishin' - Walter Mosley

(really cool, a flashback in the Easy Rawlins series)

Coyote Waits-

Sacred Clowns - Tony Hillerman

(possibly the best I've read in a while. His books are SO short and he says SO much, it's truly monumental prose)

Cast in stone- G.M. Ford (I hear that's REALLY his name)

(Decent, kept me turning pages, nice Seattle take)

Dead Horse Paint Company - Earl Emerson

(interesting, murder mystery from the arson investigator's viewpoint)

Booked to Die - John Dunning

(still reading, not bad, mystery with an eye to the book collecting world)

If I could recommend, or SERIOUSLY, SOMEBODY! Read one of these books by one of these authors

:

Killing Mr. Watson

- OR -

At Play in the Fields of the Lord

by Peter Mathiessen (both are trick reads but APitFotL is probably easier) ((for 6th graders plus is the Snow Leopard, a true story, as well)

Louisiana Power & Light

-John Dufresne

(more great storytelling)

The Deep Blue Goodbye

-John D. MacDonald

(Please, SOMEONE, pick up this Travis McGee series and read it all, there are a ton of books and wealth of knowledge, it's easy reading but WELL worth it)

A Confederacy of Dunces

-John Kennedy Toole

(Read this book!)

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0385720009.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg'>

about the race from france, around antartica and back to france,

solo, non-stop and in the roughest waters on the planet. Wheeeee!

It's a great combination of sailing lore, nautical science and personal limits.

It's not uncommon for racers to just 'disappear' and never be seen again.

It happend to a Canadian guy, and that's the focus of the book.

yeah... just to illustrate how far these guys go away from the livable world....

http://www.hrh.ch/52/vendee_map.jpg'>