what about the snow?

PROsomethin

alright. i live the colorado. YEAH. but this is going to be my first year out there paintin in snow boats, so the question is: how does snow and moisture in the air effect my paint on the train.

there are no stupid questions, well there are, but this ain't one of 'em. past experiences or advice would be much needed....peace....PROject ile.....

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

the metal gets really cold

the paint gets really cold

the paint runs and drips like crazy

fuck the snow, its the temperature that will cause problems for you..last time i checked, snow did not lay on the panels of trains (gravity??)

if there is moisture in the air, the trains will soak some of it up and it'll make the running and dripping worse.

oh yeah, you'll get really cold too and your fingers may freeze and fall off

oh yeah, past experience...

get ready to do a little suffering ...and you can put the cans of paint in your armpits or down your pants to warm it up a bit..hehehee yeah i've done it

that shits all obvious.

Im wondering about getting to/from the freights. If you use entrances other than the main ones, you pretty much give up your whereabouts.. has anyone had any problems with this type of shit in the past?

i live in upstate ny, and we get snow from october-april. fucking brutal.

rusto

man dont use rusto in the winter if you can help it, i know its thicker, but it takes 10 years to dry instead of the normal 2 years when its warm. and shit aint happening if you use krylon to outline. winter just sucks for painting, but it does keep everyone out of the yards.

Originally posted by DankLordz

but still, im gonna be mad frustrated and I dont really feel like giving up half a year of painting..

oh well.

make good friends with someone in PA or MD or DC and get an amtrak student advatage card.:o

this is our school

that's tight thank you for advice.

i feel you about gettin in the yard, it won't be as sly, but i've been talkin to some folks from around these parts and i guess cops and security aren't willing to chase some kids in the snow. well most of the time. rusto is tight.

and i'm down to get all freezing cold, i gotta do my homework...peace...PRojeCTor.. . .. .. . ... . . . . .

• 2 weeks later...

I sympathize with those who will brave deep snow to get over, but other than the various stuff mentioned above for keeping yourself and your equipment warm, there's no magic tricks. It's as bad as it seems: you must trudge, you're leaving an obvious trail, and it's a lot of fucking work. I've done it plenty of times, but definitely less often than in summer, that's for fucking sure.

The only thing I can think of is do a bunch of extra walking before you get busy - leaving sets of footprints that loop around, cross, and confuse. Or wait till workers have left the first tracks.

Guest cheesecurd

if your'e lucky the creosote soaked rail ties will have melted off on a sunny day and you can get in the yard scott free, but walking around the dead lines is a diffrent story. you should also bring some shitty rag along with you to wipe up the moisture underneath the ice you just had to break off the fr8 with the bottom of your can. watch out for moose and always use piss to write your handle in the snow at the edge of the yard. forget about using silver unless it's above 20 degrees or you don't care if you can't read what you just did, especially when it's rusto chrome vs. krylon. use stocks! and remember, a little brandy never hurt anyone, just their style..

shit

brandy never hurt no body just their style. ha. that's great.

i'm fully functional.

what up OMilEK.yes i know who you are.your my boy, we'll do it right, you know, ETK.

socks, gotcha. stocks?tips?

decoque foot prints, YES. will do, even just for fun.

sunny days melt snow like icecubes in the seata your pants here in DenVer. so i'll keep that in mind.

and thanks to your support, i now control the world.

PEACE.. .. . . PROjeCtor.. . .. eTk......

Guest killtoy

sissy paint...

especially when it's rusto chrome vs. krylon

and shit aint happening if you use krylon to outline.

WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU USE KRYLON ON A TRAIN? :confused: :confused: :confused:

no snow on my end of the West Coast. But have yall ever tried to use one of those cheap plastic sleds to get in there? no footprints, and you now have a place to keep your shit without getting it wet. the other snow will eventually kill the tracks right? and workers can only assume kids slipped in to the area with the sleds

Only problem is that those cheap things are usually bright

Guest cheesecurd

Re: sissy paint...

Originally posted by killtoy

colors...price...neat ass lift off tops, jonny bench, not as toxic, free calling cards with purchase?

"krylon, rustoleum, red devil, wet look, epoxy..."

and I love the sled Idea, Rockin on top of the tobboggon has a nice ring to it.

in wet snow weather use 2 pairs of socks and inbetween the pairs put on a bread bag for maximum dryness. if you're a girl you can reuse female condoms.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: sissy paint...

Originally posted by killtoy

sometimes i get frisky and use krylon to outline. number one you can use caps with it, and not get the standard stock cap friz, something im not always in the mood for. but i agree rusto/amaccents/painters touch, is the paint to use, but like i said it takes a long ass time to dry when its cold. i get tired of sitting there for 20 min after i filled waiting to outline. and if you want to use peice caps you have to use krylon.

Killtoy claims LA, so I doubt he understands the winter painting issues. Rusto is obviously preferred for coverage and thickness, but as a few people mentioned it takes a lot longer to dry in the freezing cold, whereas Krylon (the few usable Krylon colors) works fine, at least for outlines and detail work even if it's weak on the fills.

I don't buy angelofdeath's contention that you can't use tips on Rusto. I get some nice forcefields and outlines with a NY thin on FULL cans of the old style ('91) American Accents cans, regardless of the weather. Of course as they get low the Rusto skip sets in, but then you use the rest of the can for filling the next one.

If it's really that cold you don't need to fuck around with piecing anyway, just simplify your style and rip everything with fats. You're done sooner so you can get to that mug of hot chocolate back at the house.

Guest oldfaithful

i keep my open backpack of paint on the floor with the heat on it ,while i drive to warm up the cans.it doesn't last long,but seems to help.and you better find the right pair of gloves.

its usually pretty nice if it snowed that day and stopped for a little while, cause it usually seems warmer, as long as its not windy as hell,but yeah bring a towel definitely, i tried the other night with out one, and i had to put a lot of paint on, and it looked horrible the next day, it wasnt all out ice, but like crystals on it, frost type shit, oh well, some nights arent too bad, but the bad ones are usually real bad, no inbetween

this topic has pretty much been thouroughly covered, i'd have to agree with an earlier post, the things posted here are just about all the tricks there are, it's just getting used to the conditions and hoping it comes out looking decent. and like someone said earler, just use fats and go big, with a little less kicks, and you can rock three panels and be out. if you've got flava, then it'll be tight regardless of how technical you get, right?. merry christmas!, happy painting, blah blah blah...........

Archived