1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at info@12ozprophet.com and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

wesley willis RIP

Discussion in 'Rest In Peace' started by otto dix, Aug 23, 2003.

1. otto dix

otto dix 12oz Veteran Member

wesley willis RIP

Discussion started by otto dix - Aug 23, 2003

not really feeling this dude's death, lets hear some stories, your favorite songs, etc. RIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Friends and fellow Wesleynauts,

We are deeply saddened to report that Wesley Willis passed away yesterday, Thursday, August 21st. Wesley will be greatly missed by all that had the privilege to know him, as well as the fans who have been fortunate enough to experience his genius.

Wesley was diagnosed with Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML) at the end of 2002, and had to undergo emergency surgery on June 2nd to identify the source of, and to suppress internal bleeding. It is not clear if this bleeding was related to his leukemia or not, and the exact cause of death is still unknown. Wesley had been recovering at a Hospice in Illinois, and since the surgery his health had deteriorated rapidly.

His songs were simultaneously disturbing, hilarious, blunt, and intoxicating. Wesley's sheer excitement and unaffected honesty about every cultural phenomenon, defined his music as truly individual, and truly punk rock.

Wesley released well over 50 albums - 3 of which are on Alternative Tentacles, and a 4th, entitled, Wesley Willis Greatest Hits Vol. 3 (CD) had already been scheduled for release in October of this year.

For more information on Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia, please visit http://leukemia-lymphoma.org .

Currently there are no plans for any funeral service but we will inform you if there will be.

otto dix - Rank: 12oz Veteran Member - Messages:
  2. otto dix

otto dix - Replied Aug 23, 2003

[​IMG]

3. otto dix

otto dix - Replied Aug 23, 2003

[​IMG]

4. hotbudda

hotbudda New Jack

hotbudda - Replied Aug 24, 2003

Rock over london

Rock on Chicago

BIG WESLEY PIMP OF THA YEAR

hotbudda - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  5. deadasdreams

deadasdreams 12oz Member

deadasdreams - Replied Aug 25, 2003

i saw wesley play a few times.entertaining but annoying at the same time.i got a bruise on my head from his infamous headbutts.

here an interveiw one of my friends did with him a few years back.

By Victor Vazquez

Roughly 40 people crowded into Axis Records, a small, independent record shop in Alameda, California. Who were they waiting to see? None other than Wesley Willis, rock and roll's crazy uncle… And who's that? Wesley Willis is a six-foot, 300-pound schizophrenic homeless man with a Casio keyboard who's penned such classics as "Rock and Roll McDonald's", "Jesus is the Answer," and "Cut the Mullet."

The majority of Wesley Willis' songs follow a time-tested formula: Take a subject and talk about it for a while, then yell the title of the song over and over and then talk some more and yell a little more and then do a keyboard "solo" meaning hit the same three keys in succession over and over for roughly a minute.

The simplicity of the music is reminiscent of punk rock. In fact, Wesley is signed to the punk label Alternative Tentacles, owned by Jello Biafra, former lead singer of the legendary Dead Kennedys. Wesley has played some pretty big tickets, opening for bands like the Blue Meanies and Sublime, to name a couple. His discography is enormous, and difficult to track. It includes dozens of CDs, two greatest hits albums, and numerous independently produced tapes and live bootlegs.

At the performance, diehard fans shouted along with the choruses and requested songs while people who weren't familiar with Wesley looked on with either confused amusement or pity, or sometimes a mixture of both.

Wesley Willis is what some pretentious artist types call a "savant" or an "outsider artist," a label for social deviants — mainly mental patients — who create art. Though not much of a musician, Wesley is a talented artist. He does marker renditions of urban scenes from his hometown in Chicago. The scenes are drawn in the quality of an architect's sketch, with an incredible perception of depth, including details like the numbers on buses and the advertisements on billboards.

Outsider art has become increasingly popular in modern art because it's so "raw" and doesn't mimic or follow trends. Though it is an interesting idea, outsider art tends to be condescending. Just because an artist didn't go to art school and has an unorthodox style, they're marketed as "outsiders," their art seen more as like a train wreck than a piece of self-expression.

It's easy to take Wesley at face value, but there's something else behind his eccentric behaviors and his strange, and at times nonsensical, lyrics. There is a creative, unaffected man with the heart of a child. He is blissfully unaware of the amount of condescension some fans have towards him, and the pity others have for him. All that matters to him is that he's playing music and people are listening to him.

Wesley Willis is a rockstar. He doesn't give a damn about what people think about him, he doesn't care if he spills potato chips on his sweatshirt, he doesn't care that many people don't take him seriously. All he wants to do is scream profanely about bestiality and Big Macs and give head butts.

14 Questions with Wesley Willis

Youth In Control: So, how long have you been doing music?

Wesley Willis: I been doing music for 14 years.

YIC: 14 years, that's pretty impressive. Do you consider yourself famous?

WW: Yeah...

YIC: What's the weirdest thing that's ever happened on a tour?

WW: Not a thing.

YIC: Tours are boring for you?

WW: Tour's okay.

YIC: In your opinion, what is the worst band ever?

WW: The Backstreet Boys

YIC: What about Eminem, what's your view on him?

WW: Eminem's bad.

YIC: Bad as in bad or bad as in good?

WW: Eminem sucks.

YIC: So what's the best band ever then?

WW: Hootie and the Blowfish

YIC: So, musically, you're inspired by blues and rock?

WW: I'm inspired by rock, heavy metal, death metal, thrash metal, and all that s——.

YIC: You've played at places like the Gilman and other various punk places, so what's your favorite venue?

WW: The Gilman.

YIC: Why's that?

WW: I like it a lot, I like it a lot.

YIC: What's your favorite song you play?

WW: "I Whupped Batman's Ass."

YIC: How come you didn't play it today?

WW: I didn't want to.

YIC: Okay, is there anything else you want to add?

WW: Rock and roll will never die!

—Victor Vazquez hasn't worn tightie whities since fifth grade.

http://youthradio.org/music/images/wesley1.jpg'>
    [img]http://youthradio.org/music/images/wesley2.jpg'>

deadasdreams - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  6. ed applebee

ed applebee 12oz Junior Member

ed applebee - Replied Aug 26, 2003

MCDONALDS IS A GOOD PLACE TO LISTEN TO MUSIC!!!!!!!
    IM ROCKING THAT SONG AS WE SPEAK
    A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO, SOME FRIENDS AND I SAW HIM PLAY AND MY ONE FRIEND HAD NO IDEA ABOUT THE INFAMOUS HEADBUTTING. SO IS A VERY LOVELY LADY, SO WE CONVINCED HER TO GO UP AND TALK TO WESELY, 6 HEADBUTTS LATER, WE HAD TO TAKE HER HOME AND ICE HER FOREHEAD AND CLEAN UP HER NOSE, HE MISSED ON THE LAST HEADBUTT. GOOD TIMES. REST IN PEACE WESELY.

ed applebee - Rank: 12oz Junior Member - Messages:
  7. CRAMPS

CRAMPS 12oz Senior Member

CRAMPS - Replied Aug 28, 2003

R.I.P.

http://www.mangydog.com/mk9/images/best_picture_ever.jpg'>
    gary and david give a thumbs up to the pimp, pimp wesley.

CRAMPS - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  8. retard

retard 12oz Member

retard - Replied Sep 1, 2003

most talented musician ever.

whats up drunk? lost touch.

retard - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  9. toxikbeast

toxikbeast New Jack

toxikbeast - Replied Oct 3, 2003

rock over london, rock on chicago...

rip brotha

toxikbeast - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  10. Jason231

Jason231 New Jack

Jason231 - Replied Oct 4, 2003

Oh no. Damn. Wesley rocked. I liked his song "Morbid Angel", and "Bolt Thrower". GUy was coooooooooooool.

Jason231 - Rank: New Jack - Messages:
  11. KiSe

KiSe 12oz Senior Member

KiSe - Replied Oct 8, 2003

wesley willis was crazy like a road lizzard, too bad

RIP wesley!

KiSe - Rank: 12oz Senior Member - Messages:
  12. seen it all

seen it all 12oz Member

seen it all - Replied Oct 10, 2003

thank god he made i whooped batmans ass!!
    RIP. that sucks:(

seen it all - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  13. jenoz

jenoz 12oz Member

jenoz - Replied Oct 12, 2003

bat man was an asshole any ways he got knocked to the fuckin ground

jenoz - Rank: 12oz Member - Messages:
  14. soneMILWwi

soneMILWwi Guest

soneMILWwi - Replied Oct 26, 2003

15. shitmop-1$

shitmop-1$ 12oz Senior Member