welding

ubejinxed

hey hi..

i was wondering if any of you knew about the different types of welding and which metals and applications they best suit.

when i move i'm going to convert my mom's garage into a metal shop for furniture making. so i took a welding class a while ago and used two different types of welders the oxyacetylene welding/gas torch and a mig welder.

so i did some research about both arc welding and mig welding and found they are essentially the same thing but the mig is more sophisticated since it uses a continously fed rod, you don't have to stop and i think you can weld more metals than just steel.

i was just wondering if any of you have done extensive welding and know whether the much larger cost of the mig welder is worth it? i'm thinking it might be, but would love someones perspective on the different types of welding apparatus.

i'm going to be making furniture so the finished product will need to be usable and durable.

and also in case anyone tells me i'm going hurt myself if i don't learn more, i'm going to take another class before i set everything up.

k thanx

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Hey hi,

It depends on what type of material you use for the welds. If you're welding iron, you can use either an arc welder or a mig welder, you just need iron welding rods. The only thing I can think of is I'm pretty sure you can't weld the softer metals like aluminum with a gas welder because of the heat involved. But a mig welder uses an electrical current to weld so I think you have to use that with some aluminum rod. It's been many many years so I'm not sure if this is right...

i am a welder. to answer your question.

ok a mig welder uses constant fed wire to deposit the weld metal and make the weld.it is very easy to learn once you set the wire speed and heat settings right.stick welding or arc welding takes more skill to learn as the rod burns you manually feed the rod by pushing somewhat.if you are making furniture you will probobly be usung square tubing.tubing has thin walls so a mig would probobly be your best choice.

mig welding also can be used for aluminium and stainless steel welding.you however must buy aluminium wire or stainless wire to weld these metals.ask away i am probobly the most knowledgable person on this board for welding info.

i worked for a steel sculpture last summer and picked up a bit about welding.

we built a 2 ton sculpture stainless steel fish and used stainless steel stick welding for the most part because it is stronger than mig if done correctly and is capable of creating wider beads. we used mig with stainless steel wire for smaller detail stuff, but the wire was constantly getting caught and it was usually a big headache. MIg may be easier for you, depending on the size of stuff your doing and the metal your welding.

beyond welders, youll need other supplies like drills, pads, bits etc. the guy i worked with bought all of his stuff off of ebay and said he sazed insane amounts of money, especially on the smaller stuff like pads and bits. i dont claim to be the know all end all, but i can contact my boss if you have any specific questions. hit me up on email or IM ltlwing316@aol.com

http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolio3/d/dtonnesen/landmark_fish_sculpture_Boston_Harbor-1070730613.gif'>

Originally posted by BUCK FUSH

i worked for a steel sculpture last summer and picked up a bit about welding.

we built a 2 ton sculpture stainless steel fish and used stainless steel stick welding for the most part because it is stronger than mig if done correctly and is capable of creating wider beads. we used mig with stainless steel wire for smaller detail stuff, but the wire was constantly getting caught and it was usually a big headache. MIg may be easier for you, depending on the size of stuff your doing and the metal your welding.

beyond welders, youll need other supplies like drills, pads, bits etc. the guy i worked with bought all of his stuff off of ebay and said he sazed insane amounts of money, especially on the smaller stuff like pads and bits. i dont claim to be the know all end all, but i can contact my boss if you have any specific questions. hit me up on email or IM ltlwing316@aol.com

yea mig can be a hassle but it is more cost effecient over periods of time.it is the easiest to learn tho.when you start stick welding you always stick the rod or cant maintain the arc to actually weld.i prefer stick welding to mig but if you are using thin metal1/16 inch thick or smaller than i would go mig.but tig welding is where its at.i found it relatively simple to learn but i wasnt a beginner when i learned it.but for building furniture or production type work tig is much to slow and tedious.any other welders out there?o an that sculpture is pretty damn cool.

I was a welder from 1972 til 1995

There are a number of different types of welding, depending on the strength required, the material you're welding, speed/economy required, working conditions and so forth.

Cheapest--A "buzz box" 220V welder, either "AC only" or "AC/DC" This type of welder is commonly found in auto repair shops, farm shops and places like that. It's for SMAW (shielded metal arc welding) better known as "stick" welding. Maximum amp output is usually 120 amps. It works off of 220V AC current, like what powers an electric clothes dryer. SMAW is very versatile, because you can weld on steel, cast iron, chromium steel, stainless steel, etc. by selecting welding rods appropriate for that particular material. The atmospheric shield is provided by the burning flux coating on the rods.

Most Economical--MIG welder (Metallic Inert Gas). It has a continuous wire-feed from a spool through a "gun cable." You pull the trigger, holding the gun tip about a 1/4" from the material, and the wire spools forward, contacting the weld area. The shield is provided from a tank of argon/CO2 gas mixture or pure argon. Don't use MIG in an enclosed space like a tank or a silo--the shielding gas displaces oxygen (it's heavier) and you can aphyxiate yourself. I worked on a farm where four guys had died over the years, welding in tanks. Crazy.

Most precise and prettiest weld---TIG (Tungsten Inert Gas) or "heliarc". This system is a lot like oxy-acetylene, in that you heat the weld area with a "torch" (an electric "torch", which also provides the covering argon gas) and feed a filler rod with your non-dominant hand into the weld. Motorcycle frames, race-car frames, airplanes, and other precision, high-strength welding is usually done with TIG. The first TIG welder systems used helium as a cover gas (hence, "Heliarc.")

Field welding usually involves a heavy duty truck with a gasoline-powered or diesel-powered welding machine mounted in the back. This type of welder also generates 110V for operating grinders, die grinders, etc. and some also produce 220V. Most field welding is "stick", but it is possible to run MIG or TIG off one as well, with a welding adapter to provide high frequency for TIG. These trucks almost always also carry tanks of O2, acetylene, oxy-acetylene cutting torches, welding torches, etc. I had a rig like this after I got out of welding school but eventually sold it.

Welding is bad for your eyes, and you can get burned. It is also REALLY bad for your lungs. Always wear a mask under your welding hood, if not a paint/dust respirator. The smoke contains ALL KINDS of BAD SHIT including chromium, manganese, vanadium, etc., etc., etc. DON'T BREATHE GALVANIZING FUMES, you'll get zinc poisoning. In fact, I refused to weld on galvanized pipe at all, and I always welded with a shop fan running to blow the smoke away from me.

Archived