Welcome to the magical land of jail - My Weekend

GnomeToys

Friday Night: Finally had a good night of the week off work, so I bought a bottle of Woodford Reserve and headed over to some old friends. Ate a couple of weak mushroom stems. We drank that between 3 people, as well as another 5th of some lesser bourbon. Went back to the bars with another friend, to see a band play. Went and picked up some mail and some cleaned spraypaint caps from my old apartment. Went back and partied with the band members, drank a couple more beers. Decided to go home, and then the fun began.

3:00 saturday morning: I was walking home, about 3 blocks away, when it started pouring down rain at an increasing rate. My decision to jog the rest of the way home was poorly timed, as it coincided with somebody setting off some fireworks behind me in the alley, which didn't help because I had fireworks on me as well. Got about 50 feet from my house when a cop pulled right up on me going about 40 with his lights on. Managed to get charged with public intox and possesion of a schedule 1 substance. The cop asked if I was huffing paint (the caps), then proceeded to have me flip through the pictures on my camera for him to see if there were any "peeping tom" pictures. My $1600.00 camera is still sitting at the police station, probably soon to become property of some pig who likes photography. I was in jail until 4:00 today when somebody finally rounded up enough money to bail me out. Welcome to the fun place.

I'm fucked legally and monetarilly now, and my camera, which had been my favorite hobby, may not be returned to me.

Any advice on what I can do about the camera if they give me shit would be much appreciated, I'm going to deal with the court stuff through a lawyer. I don't think they can use the drug trafficing related seizure laws in this case because of the amounts involved.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

what type of drugs did you have? if it was the mushrooms, possibly you could find out through your lawyer if they actually did a chemical test on them. is the fact that you were in the vicinity, and running, probable cause to think you lit the fireworks, if that's why he stopped you? also, since the camera has nothing to do with the fireworks, that might be in your favor. i think i remember something about a search being limited to things related to whatever you were stopped for.

Originally posted by ARCEL

what type of drugs did you have? if it was the mushrooms, possibly you could find out through your lawyer if they actually did a chemical test on them. is the fact that you were in the vicinity, and running, probable cause to think you lit the fireworks, if that's why he stopped you? also, since the camera has nothing to do with the fireworks, that might be in your favor. i think i remember something about a search being limited to things related to whatever you were stopped for.

Just the mushrooms, 3g. The police in town make up more or less whatever they want in terms of reasons to search. They didn't do a tryptamine spot test on them but may have done something back at the station. Like I said, the bullshit with the camera is what I'm really worried about at the moment.

stopping and searching you, because you were seen jogging home (while it was raining) because someone let off fireworks is a complete crock of shit. as long as your lawyer isnt a worthless piece of shit, he should be able to get you off on the grounds of illegal search, since they had no reason to suspect you of setting off fireworks, other than the fact you were in the area. if you get even a halfway decent lawyer, you should be able to get the drug charges dropped easily, and even if you cant, your camera had absolutely nothing to do with any possible crime commited, so they have to give it back. that would be like them not returning your shoes, because you used them for walking, or your watch. they have to give it back, if they don't, sue them, you'll win.

where the fuck do you live? this is like some keystone cop shit. no one gets arrested for searched for fireworks, then has their camera comfiscated to check for 'peeping tom' photo's. that's such a fucking joke. if things really went down as you stated, and you have a lawyer, this should be a piece of cake.

Guest beardo

you should be able to get the camera back. hell, i got busted for graff and they gave my sketchbook back for chrissakes.. albeit like a year later :lol: good luck

Does anyone else find it ironic citizens are afraid of police stealing their own property. Aren't police officers entrusted by the public to "protect life and property?" Do we have an implied value judgement present in this person being clearly and obviously afraid of not having his property..returned. I think so, what do you?

I somewhat agree with seeking.

A while back i had somewhat the same problem, except it was with drunk driving..

The cop saw me stop at my buddies house, get out for about 5 minutes and get back in to take off.. He then proceeded to pull me over based on the fact that i was "throwing up all over the neighbors lawn"..

Got that one dismissed with a quickness..

Originally posted by seeking

stopping and searching you, because you were seen jogging home (while it was raining) because someone let off fireworks is a complete crock of shit. as long as your lawyer isnt a worthless piece of shit, he should be able to get you off on the grounds of illegal search, since they had no reason to suspect you of setting off fireworks, other than the fact you were in the area. if you get even a halfway decent lawyer, you should be able to get the drug charges dropped easily, and even if you cant, your camera had absolutely nothing to do with any possible crime commited, so they have to give it back. that would be like them not returning your shoes, because you used them for walking, or your watch. they have to give it back, if they don't, sue them, you'll win.

That's what people have been telling me. One of my managers at work is hooking me up with a lawyer he knows at a discount so I can get this shit straightened out.

The only matter that complicates things is that I am already on probation, but I don't believe they would have had any way of positively determining this before stopping and searching me, and I'm absolutely certain that my ID hadn't been run before the search.

We'll see though.

where the fuck do you live? this is like some keystone cop shit. no one gets arrested for searched for fireworks, then has their camera comfiscated to check for 'peeping tom' photo's. that's such a fucking joke. if things really went down as you stated, and you have a lawyer, this should be a piece of cake.

I live in a college town in Indiana. The police do whatever the fuck they want here. One of my best friends was from out of state and had her apartment searched with no warrant by an officer that was later fired. What he was doing was looking up the addresses of out of state girls with no family in the area that were on the police watch list for drugs or with prior convictions, then either planting evidence or illegally searching their homes. He would then tell them they could avoid his turning the evidence in to the department if they'd fuck him whenever he wanted. He's now an officer in some smaller town in Indiana.

This town isn't even going to believe the magnitude of the fucking lawsuit her rich, ranking air force father is going to slap on them once she's off probation and they can't touch her anymore.

gnome- did you ask for your camera when you left jail? i got tossed in jail for allegedly painting last month and they gave me most the shit i had on me back.

Yes. They didn't have it there. Apparently its at the station and I have to wait until wednesday when some guy who's in charge of releasing "evidence" is there to give it back.

They also took my prescription antidepressants that were in one of those free sample bottles from the doctor, leaving me to suffer withdrawls the whole time I was in jail, and up until today when I tracked down my psychiatrist and explained myself. They weren't as bad as celexa withdrawls were, but still sucked. I ended up with a free sample bottle of lexapro. I'm thinking this isn't going to look good for the city, considering I have a documented suicide attempt in the past year and a half from when I was unable to afford more medication and began drinking heavily.

For a public intox (something which is apparently nearly unheard of in larger cities and most of europe) around here, it usually costs around $700 in court fees, 40-120 hours of community service, a year of probation, and 4 to 20 hours of alcohol counseling. That gives you an idea of what I'm going to deal with for a PI + something that they consider a "real" crime. This town fucking sucks.