Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

Weegee - Photographer

Discussion in 'Art & Design' started by fermentor666, Dec 27, 2004.

1. fermentor666

fermentor666 Veteran Member

I'd never heard of him until I got a book on him this Christmas. Basically, he immigrated from Austria as a child struggled his way to a job at the NY Times as a darkroom assistant in 1921 where he began his career that took him from tabloid photography to world famous photographer. At first his speciality was cover the crime scene and fires, after removing himself from the newspaper business he began to focus more on life in the city. His technique's and shots are incredible and sadly, the qualitiy of the images on the internet does not do him justice. I recommend checking him out next time you're at a bookstore.

Born Usher Fellig in 1899, Weegee got his nickname from the popular 1930's boardgame "Ouiga" when the cops noticed that he would often get to the crime scene before they did. Weege died in 1968 and left behind over 13,000 prints and negatives.

I hope these hotlinks stay visible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GamblersGrin

GamblersGrin Elite Member

he is my favorite photographer. ive got a super thick hardcover book of his stuff but being under teh influence i can not recall the name. its a yellow cover though.

3. fermentor666

This picture looks unbelievable in the book but it looks like shit on the internet:

[​IMG]

The man himself:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Woman after killing a man in a car accident:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Their First Murder"

"A woman relative cried…but neighborhood dead-end kids enjoyed the show when a small-time racketeer was shot and killed," wrote Weegee in the caption accompanying this startling photograph in his 1945 publication Naked City. On the facing page Weegee showed the bloody body lying in the street.

Alternately laughing, staring in disbelief, or looking into the camera to grasp their own momentary chance to be recorded, the children who had witnessed this grisly scene form an unsettling amalgam of human emotion and self-absorption as they commune with the camera in the face of horror. Two women are among the group: one, whom Weegee mentioned above, stands at the center, her face contorted with anguished tears, her personal loss turned into public spectacle."

[​IMG]

4. MANOWAR

MANOWAR Member

5. High Priest

High Priest Elite Member

Im really not into photography, but i do enjoy his work quite a bit. The use of distortion, esp. during that time and on the subject matter that he chose to work with really struck a chord with me .. go figure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. dear sas

dear sas Junior Member

first time iv seen his stuff. i like it. ill look into that book

7. fermentor666

Nice priest, I was trying to find some of his distortion stuff but couldn't find any good pictures on google. The last Marilyn Monroe one reminds me off the nasty plastic surgery lady Poop Man Bob posted a couple of months back.

(please no one post her in here)

8. some pittsburgh flavor

some pittsburgh flavor Elite Member

"Photographs From an NYC Taxi Driver"??
    that's good regardless

i forget who it is though

shit is ill

9. GamblersGrin

GamblersGrin Elite Member

the book is called "weegee's world"

10. BROWNer

BROWNer Guest

dopeness. i did a thread on the dude long time ago, my fave is the photo naked city used for one of their covers(a guy lying face first on a stone cobble road, blood everywhere and a handgun a few feet away).

11. Overtime

Overtime Dirty Dozen Crew

yeah, thats awesome stuff...

12. Chance Em Redy

Chance Em Redy Junior Member

13. kidlogyk86

kidlogyk86 New Jack

yeah. i picked up weegee's people a while back...never heard of the guy b/f. pretty nice stuff. they have a good, real quality. i got some great abstractions from face close-ups.