Wanna get high? Go fly a kite...and die.

GamblersGrin

http://news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,8696545^1702,00.html

Seven dead at kite-flying festival

From correspondents in Lahore

February 16, 2004

SEVEN people were killed and more than 100 injured in Pakistan during the annual kite flying festival marking the arrival of spring, officials said today.

An 18-month-old girl's throat was cut by a stray kite string while she was travelling with her parents on a motorbike, witnesses said, adding that she died on the spot.

Three people were electrocuted when metal wires they were using to fly or catch stray kites fell on live electric lines, and two people fell from roofs, hospital officials said.

A 12-year-old boy died while trying to catch a stray kite when he was hit by a car on a main road, police said.

More than 100 people had been reported injured since last night in various kite-related accidents, medical workers said.

Officials at Lahore's Mayo Hospital said 42 children and 60 adults had been treated for injuries.

"One child was injured by a stray bullet," deputy medical superintendent Dr Saqib Shafi told AFP.

Though firing guns is banned, people celebrate the spring festival by firing into the air, often causing casualties.

Relatives of people killed or injured in kite flying accidents held a demonstration in Lahore last year urging the government to maintain its ban on selling and flying kites.

More than 20 people have been killed in kite flying accidents in Lahore since last year's spring festival.

Casualties and frequent power outages caused by metal wires falling over power lines forced the government to ban the sale of kites and metal wire, but those restrictions were lifted this month to celebrate the festival, officials said.

Agence France-Presse

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by GnomeToys

Pakistan is a fucking third world hellhole and I don't think I've ever met a person from that country that acted anything like a civilized human being. Fuck pakistan.

Hey, you are making a pretty big generalization. They are pretty fuckin retarded to have this much bullshit happen flying kites, sounds like the whole thing might have been terrifying. I dont know about Paki's but I know one hella cool Afghan. He used to live down the hall from me, he's a badass breakdancer.

Originally posted by anonymity1

Hey, you are making a pretty big generalization. They are pretty fuckin retarded to have this much bullshit happen flying kites, sounds like the whole thing might have been terrifying. I dont know about Paki's but I know one hella cool Afghan. He used to live down the hall from me, he's a badass breakdancer.

It is a pretty big generalization, that doesn't apply to those who grew up in America. The culture of those born and raised in the country is so backwards that it makes me sick. The people are raised to treat women like less than animals, treat white people in general like shit, and more or less think that their underdeveloped hellhole is the best thing since sliced bread. Its all fine and dandy if they do that shit at home, but after having to deal with a large, shitty Pakistani population at work every day at Purdue, I have absolutely no respect for the country. May it fucking rot in hell.

stop the hating..... flying kites is actually fun.

besides... it's a good way to hang around the parks/beach

in the summertime without looking like a vargrant or a perveract.

Archived